English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 November 2014, 17:55   #1
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

WinUAE multi-threaded

hi, working on an iPad, which I hate* so sorry if this is a question answered elsewhere

Does WinUAE take advantage of multi-core/SMP systems, or is it single threaded? No burning issue, just curious.

*i find an iPad horrible for doing anything other than browsing. Virtual keyboards suck. Content creation is next to impossible, and entering search terms is a fight against auto-complete and fat-finger-itis!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 November 2014, 18:47   #2
spiff
Oh noes!

A little bit

Interview with Toni Wilen
(Interview realized by David Brunet - J

- What about support for the multi-core x86 ?

Very difficult. For compatible modes (like A500), practically impossible, if you want any performance gains. Chips in Amiga "talk" to each other continuously, you can't have a separate thread for chips, because continuous inter-chip messaging would kill the performance.

Some "post"-processing parts could be moved to other threads, but it isn't easy, at least if you don't want to lose performance on single core CPUs... (not interested, not worth the trouble, at least I won't waste my time for free). Also, in theory, JIT CPU emulation could be moved to a separate thread, but again, I am not interested in possible performance gains (in worst case, the result is slower performance if there is too much messaging between threads...).

Some parts of emulation have always been multithreaded, e.g. the filesystem. I am also trying to move the RTG Amiga VRAM buffer to real display copy/color space translation part to a separate thread, which should be an easy way to increase RTG performance.

Bug-free multithreaded coding is troublesome; it is all too easy to introduce bugs that will be extremely difficult to debug. It will be even more complex if it still needs to run on a single core CPU without the extra threads.
Old 08 November 2014, 19:57   #3
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Thanks Spiff.

Will keep an eye on future developments re RTG performance. My interest in UAE is simply to run Pagesetter, as I don't have a decent PC DTP program.

Though, it's nice emulating my old Amigas, and the hardware I didn't have!
Old 08 November 2014, 21:40   #4
ma693541
Computer Wizard

As i know for PPC emulation in WinUAE, you will need a DUAL-Core or better CPU on the host machine.
Old 09 November 2014, 15:18   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Threading system used in current PPC CPU should be technically possible with m68k CPU and should be possible without too much slowdown even when program does lots of IO. (Originally used messaging system is gone, it was too slow and complex). There is also possibility it only increases mainly CPU/memory benchmarks and nothing else..

But unfortunately it would be 100% incompatible with all "UAE" expansions (uaehf.device, uaegfx, bsdsocket etc... in other words all "software" emulated expansions)

Rewriting current m68k<>native hook/trap system will be really complex task. Too complex.
Old 09 November 2014, 16:13   #6
BigFan

Wouldn't be sufficient anyway.

Code on 68K has to be re-written too. A fast processor is quite speedy to emulate 040 at 500 MHz. Until Jit makes use of multi-threading, there isn't a big perfomance boost in multi-threaded uae. Yet, not enough to pay off the work you put in.
Old 09 November 2014, 16:52   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFan View Post
Wouldn't be sufficient anyway.

Code on 68K has to be re-written too. A fast processor is quite speedy to emulate 040 at 500 MHz. Until Jit makes use of multi-threading, there isn't a big perfomance boost in multi-threaded uae. Yet, not enough to pay off the work you put in.
You are correct that it won't increase max raw speed (where CPU only does calculations and accesses only fast RAM) but it would keep CPU speed fast even when other parts of emulation need more CPU time. Also it would allow JIT to run longer blocks without causing syncronization problems. (Now JIT and other parts of emulation need to alternate, possibly 1000s of times / second)

Could be fun experiment some day (when not caring about UAE expansion incompatibility)...

There won't be single core CPU emulators that would take advantage of multiple cores anyway. (At least I can't see how it would be possible, every instruction depends on previous instruction = can't be parallelized)
AdSense AdSense