English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 November 2021, 08:04   #1
billeohamn

Transfer HDF files from PC to Amiga (easy way)

Hi

Background:
I need an easy way to Transfer HDF files (Harddisk based files) from PC to Amiga and install them on my Amiga 600 HD. I have searched on Youtube, but a lot of solutions is to open the Amiga and connect the hardware on the board, I am not really a fan to open my Amiga.

Activities:
Is this below text solution possible?

1: Buy a PCMCIA card 2-4GB (Sandisk).

2: Transfer HDF-files to the PCMCIA card via my PC
2.1: What file system shall I use "FAT32/NTFS"?, I have a feeling that the Amiga can't read these file systems, do I need a software?

3: Put the PCMCIA card into my Amiga.
3:1. How do I do to install these HDF-files to my Amiga HDD.

Goal:
To play HDF files on my Amiga 600 HD, that has been transfered from my PC.

Best regards Bille "1979", Sweden, Oskarshamn

Last edited by billeohamn; 08 November 2021 at 08:16.
Old 08 November 2021, 08:21   #2
Jope
-

2.1 fat95 from aminet will support fat32.
3.1 http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/diskimage from aminet and some knowledge of how dosdrivers / mountlists work, you can then mount the hdfs virtually and copy the data out (or potentially just play the game directly off the virtual hdf if it is os friendly enough).

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/giggledisk can be used to determine the mountlist if it is an RDB hdf you are using.

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/ImageMount is a script that can calculate the mountlist for you if the hdfs only have a filesystem on them without a partition table.
Old 08 November 2021, 09:08   #3
lesta_smsc

Look up ComFy by @ppill : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57259

He created a floppy boot disk that mounted and then run HDF off PCMCIA. Natively, the PCMCIA is not bootable and has to be FAT32 formatted containing the HDF.
Old 08 November 2021, 09:17   #4
Jope
-

That can be used as inspiration, but as far as I see, it doesn't have any support for mounting arbitrary HDFs from PCMCIA storage without the user knowing how to make a mountlist/dosdriver for it.
Old 08 November 2021, 09:18   #5
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
That can be used as inspiration, but as far as I see, it doesn't have any support for mounting arbitrary HDFs from PCMCIA storage without the user knowing how to make a mountlist/dosdriver for it.
True... but keep things simple as one HDF lol. I'm sure it could be modified. What would be ideal is a boot menu for choosing which ADF to mount then that being booted.
Old 08 November 2021, 09:48   #6
billeohamn

Is their any PCMCIA image to download that contains games etc. already, that I just can plugin into my Amiga and run?
Old 08 November 2021, 09:50   #7
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeohamn View Post
Is their any PCMCIA image to download that contains games etc. already, that I just can plugin into my Amiga and run?
Unfortunately not... there may be a few images for SD cards but they are usually Amiga formatted for writing back? Maybe they will work as HDF I'm not sure.