English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 September 2007, 12:13   #1
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Is that it then?

Do you think you have played all Amiga games that are worth playing? Or perhaps there is still a hidden gem out there you're not aware of that can become an instant favorite of yours? It doesn't necessarily have to be a game you've never heard of, perhaps it's something you already have in your collection but underestimated at first.

The idea for this thread came to me when I discovered Starwoids, an awesome free game that is part Gravity-Force and part Rescue. It got me thinking, how long till there are no more new Amiga games for me to discover?
Old 13 September 2007, 12:22   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, I discovered very good Mouse Impossible http://hol.abime.net/5388
Old 13 September 2007, 13:32   #3
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Do you think you have played all Amiga games that are worth playing? Or perhaps there is still a hidden gem out there you're not aware of that can become an instant favorite of yours?
And I quote:

"Welcome to the Amiga Games Database. It's purpose is to provide Amiga games players with an informed but subjective opinion on a wide range of games. A vast amount of Amiga titles have been written, some of them more than a decade ago. We've all come across some awful software in our time, but for many of us, there's a surprising quantity of undiscovered classic Amiga games out there. The AGDB is here to help you identify them."

This is something close to my heart. We've been investigating Gravity over on comp.sys.amiga.games and its another special game that managed to slip under most people's radar. Weird though. :-)

I don't really have a shortage of Amiga games I haven't properly investigated. Sometimes this is down to time, sometimes down to the game being initially inacessible, and sometimes compatibility issues - thank goodness for the WHDLoad guys.

I'm currently trying to get Starfighter D'Yammen's Reign working, I mentioned Gravity, then there's things like Foundation, Fire Brigade, Freedom, Lords of the Realm, Arctic Fox, Debut. Omega and loads more.
Old 13 September 2007, 13:45   #4
Marcuz

about games discovered through emulation:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10495
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=7807
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5771

more to the point i think that i lack now the patience to get into a game of old, mostly due to the fact the tastes on gameplay, interfaces and interaction are more refined than when i was a kid; but also because the games available through emulation are so many that when you don't get instantly into one you pass to the next, a fact that could not happen years ago when you actually had to save money for each one of them.

the only game i found and loved through amiga emu, so far, in 10 years of me using winuae, is Pang, that i can think of. who knows?
Old 13 September 2007, 14:21   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
http://hol.abime.net/2929 Carcharodon.

I really enjoyed the blast!
Old 13 September 2007, 14:42   #6
alkis21
Zone Friend

Hmm.. I started this topic more as a philosophical question and not as another "underrated games" thread, but if it inspires people to mention some more diamonds in the rough don't let me stop you!
Old 13 September 2007, 14:51   #7
oneshotdead

me too, I have no patience for games of old, definitely not through emulation, anyway.

I hunted some obscure games, what a yawn. Maybe if I bought them as a kid, when I paid good money for them, money I got from mowing lawns, delivering newspapers and the like, I would have given them a go.

But these days, apart from Secret of Monkey Island, I haven't fully played through any game in WinUAE. Even that game irritated me now, it was so slow, so simple, and the WHDLoad bothered me, with the flash screen during save, and the dialogue fonts, which are screwed up slightly. I hate imperfection, original Amiga was perfect.

I don't doubt there are gems out there, but really, they became available to me 15 years to late
Old 13 September 2007, 15:35   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I always keep an open mind about games before I play them, who knows there may be some Amiga gems that I've missed over the years!

Recently though, through installing whdload games, I've discovered there really are some of the shittest gems ever made on the Amiga! No wonder nobody has requested them to be installed yet!
Old 13 September 2007, 20:42   #9
Haakon

I guess i have only played about 5% of all Amiga games, so i am pretty sure i will find some gems in the future. Looking forward to it

Edit: ok, 10% maybe...
Old 13 September 2007, 20:54   #10
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I guess i have only played about 5% of all Amiga games, so i am pretty sure i will find some gems in the future. Looking forward to it

Edit: ok, 10% maybe...
10 % makes 400 games? i think i have at least started that number... played? about a couple of hundred at the best... plus the PD games that came in the magazines...
i don't think that but 20 or 30 games of them i did descovered through emulation, and really few were keepers.
the thing is that winuae, emulation in general, let me play now the games i was already fond of, without having my A1200 around, or fixing it, since it's broken.
for that only is a great thing to me, but hardly i have the time, patience and will to go searching through a huge lot of shitty games for undiscovered gems. there are, instead, lost games that i played back then, PD games, that still i would like to find again
Old 13 September 2007, 23:12   #11
alkis21
Zone Friend

But that's why we have EAB, right? You don't have to go through your entire collection of games. You just need to pay attention when some people praise a game you've never heard of. I discovered plenty of titles that way.
Old 13 September 2007, 23:13   #12
Haakon

No, unfortunately there is not enough time available when you grow up and get kids, work etc.

But, there are a lot of good games i am sure i havent played. Not the classics (wings, lemmings etc) but still recall some games which did get good scores in magazines which i haven't tried because i couldn't afford them when i was young (the first one that pops my mind is Perfect General, and also storm across Europe but methinks that was c64?). Good games then, are still good games now? Me thinks so! (Battle Isle still good, Wings still good, Kick Off 2 still good, etc etc)
Old 13 September 2007, 23:13   #13
Haakon

Yeah, agree Alkis. Also the scanned magazines makes it possible to get the ratings of "that" time...
Old 13 September 2007, 23:56   #14
Marcuz

good reviews and pictures? i've seen most of the cool games' ones then and now. but finding the time to play? and i don't mean fire up the game for 30 seconds through whdload... too little time to do that here, and i'm not even THAT busy with family and all.
i miss some large parts of being 13 years old...
Old 14 September 2007, 00:47   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

when i run out of good "new" old games to play... i'll make more of an effort to code my own
Old 14 September 2007, 01:48   #16
oneshotdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis
But that's why we have EAB, right? You don't have to go through your entire collection of games. You just need to pay attention when some people praise a game you've never heard of. I discovered plenty of titles that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon
Yeah, agree Alkis. Also the scanned magazines makes it possible to get the ratings of "that" time...
Hehehe! I disagree, both sources should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 14 September 2007, 08:45   #17
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I have played some absolute gems that escaped my attention the first time around, I didnt have an AGA amiga so I didnt get to play any AGA titles until recently.

I would put EAB members opinions above magazine reviews though. Magazine reviewers were generally so far off the mark in many but not all cases.

Threads on EAB about under rated games and top ten lists are a great source of unplayed gems.
Old 14 September 2007, 08:54   #18
Graham Humphrey

It's important to keep an open mind really, it's easy to pre-judge a game that may have had bad mag reviews or whatever but you may well be missing something special.
Old 15 September 2007, 08:55   #19
oneshotdead

Top-ten lists are a waste of energy and time, and prove nothing. Many Amigans roll their eyes when they see these threads, they know you can't elevate Populous over Frontier, or over Secret of Monkey Island, or over Dungeon Master, not in any objective sense anyway, this is no science.

So, your favourite game is Populous. Is your favourite colour blue? It is meaningless unless reasons are given. And even then, an extended essay on why one Amiga game should be elevated over another, unless a criterion of assessment is first agreed upon by the community, can only ever be tongue in cheek, can never really be a true indication of the value of a cultural artifact, in this case, an Amiga game. Hell, even then, the best communicator, the most convincing writer, could easily pull the wool over the eyes of many a reader.

Praising a game with superlatives of every kind doesn't cut it, nor does any kind of top-ten, even if fifty EAB members vote and unanimously agree on the apexes in Amiga gaming, they still are not necessarily accurate value indicators. _However_, with that said, I would prefer those who recommend games to give _reasons_, else I put no real credence in them.

Do the opinions of EAB members hold more water than reviewers, many of whom have vested interests, reasons to bestow accolades on a shit on a stick? Of course! (But there were some journalists, back in the day, the judgements of whom I trusted, though they were rare as hen's teeth.)

Sigh, Why is oneshotdead spewing all this shit? Oh, he's back on the booze again... hehehe
Old 15 September 2007, 09:16   #20
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotdead View Post
Top-ten lists are a waste of energy and time, and prove nothing. Many Amigans roll their eyes when they see these threads, they know you can't elevate Populous over Frontier, or over Secret of Monkey Island, or over Dungeon Master, not in any objective sense anyway, this is no science.
In your opinion, they are not a waste of time in my opinion because occasionally someone will mention a game I have not played and I will give it a try to discover it is quite good. For example I had never played Jet strike or Jet strike AGA until someone mentioned them in one of the top ten games of a certain year thread.

Quote:
So, your favourite game is Populous. Is your favourite colour blue? It is meaningless unless reasons are given. And even then, an extended essay on why one Amiga game should be elevated over another, unless a criterion of assessment is first agreed upon by the community, can only ever be tongue in cheek, can never really be a true indication of the value of a cultural artifact, in this case, an Amiga game. Hell, even then, the best communicator, the most convincing writer, could easily pull the wool over the eyes of many a reader.

Praising a game with superlatives of every kind doesn't cut it, nor does any kind of top-ten, even if fifty EAB members vote and unanimously agree on the apexes in Amiga gaming, they still are not necessarily accurate value indicators. _However_, with that said, I would prefer those who recommend games to give _reasons_, else I put no real credence in them.
This thread isnt about the best amiga game ever, its about hidden gems yet undiscovered by some members.

Quote:
Sigh, Why is oneshotdead spewing all this shit?
Find myself asking this same question when reading many of your posts over your short time here.