English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 16 December 2003, 12:30   #1
evilrich
UAE hacker

New experimental UAE release and new EAB forum

Hi Everybody, and welcome to this new forum on EAB for discussing UAE on platforms other Windows.

I am going to christen this forum by announcing a new release of my 'experimental' version of UAE. See http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/. Pre-compiled binaries are available for a variety of Linux systems and for OS X.

New in this release is support for hardfiles (although currently only up to 2GB). Plus there's a bunch of bug-fixes, including (hopefully) a cure for the timing problems with the JIT on fast x86 machines and problems with mouse input when running full-screen on OS X have been solved.
Old 16 December 2003, 13:01   #2
Paul
RIP Friends

I've posted the news on 'abime.net amiga news' (Hope that was ok to do this )
Old 16 December 2003, 13:53   #3
evilrich
UAE hacker

Okay by me.
Old 16 December 2003, 14:45   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Great news, thanks!

Fancy porting it to the xbox?

just kidding
Old 16 December 2003, 17:02   #5
Amiga1992

wooo, let's try this new version!
Old 16 December 2003, 22:42   #6
rattus

could you please make an OSX version that doesn't require anything extra?

sorry I am a typical mac-user; everything must be neat and easy to use

I'm really looking forward to future versions

*cheers on evilrich*
Old 16 December 2003, 22:56   #7
jmmijo

Hmm, you mean there are missing support files that are not included in the binaries rattus ?!? I figured they would be included with OS X, guess that shows how much I know :eek
Old 16 December 2003, 23:40   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus
Richard is not keen on doing any Aqua programming, he's more experienced with Linux/etc. and I think he can't be arsed to do so. Don't be lazy rattus, it's easy to set up this thing, just download LibSDL and install that, then install and run the UAE. you will have to fiddle with parameters and stuff... OS X support of this program is, for now, a nice sidebonus. I suppose Richard will focus on it later, or someone who is much more proficient in OS X coding can help him out with the OS X port.

In the end, it's all worth the (little)effort. Come on, it's OS X, it's not dumb OS 9 anymore. Learn some console stuff ratts

edit] forgot to say, you better download this version
Quote:
Experimental Mac OS X binary only, built for OS 10.2 against libSDL framework. No config GUI. (X server not required.)
It has no GUI and you have to go all spanner-head at the config (steal one from WinUAE adn work from there), but it beats having to download Fink and the X Server if you don't have it. I wanted to run it through X but I can't download Fink, too big for my poor modem.
Old 17 December 2003, 01:42   #9
evilrich
UAE hacker

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Richard is not keen on doing any Aqua programming, he's more experienced with Linux/etc. and I think he can't be arsed to do so.
It's not that I can't be arsed. It's that I don't have the time at the moment. I have never done any Aqua programming before, so it would probably be a fairly big job for me to undertake.

Quote:
I suppose Richard will focus on it later, or someone who is much more proficient in OS X coding can help him out with the OS X port.
I have been experimenting with Gtk-OSX, to see if I can get the current GUI to run natively on OS X. No joy at the moment, though. There's some problem with the event loop that I haven't been able to sort out yet . . .

If I can't get this to work, I will try and find time to put together an Aqua GUI.

Quote:
Originally posted by ratus
Well, it would be possible to build a version statically linked against LibSDL (and eventually Gtk+OSX if I get it working), but SDL is so easy to install - I haven't bothered. Just pop along to http://www.libsdl.org/, download the OS X package, and launch it to install.
Old 17 December 2003, 05:49   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by evilrich
It's not that I can't be arsed. It's that I don't have the time at the moment.

I didn't mean to offend you, I meant that you are doing a fine enough job by making OS X binaries, that you shouldn't be arsed to. I mean, if I had no time, I wouldn't

Quote:
but SDL is so easy to install - I haven't bothered. Just pop along to http://www.libsdl.org/, download the OS X package, and launch it to install. [/B]
It's dead easy, indeedy! I was expecting some spanner-head installing procedure but i was damn wrong, it's a normal OS X package installer.
Old 18 December 2003, 04:43   #11
evilrich
UAE hacker

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I didn't mean to offend you [/B]
Don't worry. I don't offend easily.

I wish I did have the time to do it.

I've had a look at the Carbon documentation, and unfortunately it looks way too primitive. That means I'd have to do it in Cocoa - which means learning Objective C as well. (Which seems a cool language - but I already have enough problems keeping C++ and Java straight, without cramming another object-oriented C-derivative into my noggin. )

I'm not saying I won't do it at some point. Just not right now.
Old 05 March 2004, 15:04   #12
rich3174

OK - speed is quite slow at the minute and the sound is cranky

I've set sound to none, and tried cpu speed max, real and 2

(native OSX emulating A500)