English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 25 August 2016, 23:00   #1
Vollldo

Crack request for "The Champ" by Linel

Hello, a friend made me notice that "The Champ" by Linel seems uncracked.

An extended ADF is the only stuff we apparently have :
Champ, The (1989)(Linel)[cr Illustra][extended adf].7z

The game HOL page here :
http://hol.abime.net/2972

Can someone crack it ???

Thanks in advance for your interest, if ever i missed it was cracked tell me of course.

Old 25 August 2016, 23:39   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

The one you mention is cracked by Illustra. Do you mean trained?
Old 26 August 2016, 01:29   #3
Vollldo

Hi Arnie, thanks for your reply. Nah i meant a cracked and fully transferable ADF file. The one cracked by Illustra is in extended ADF format, so i presume that it can't be written back on disk easily, right ?

Old 23 February 2017, 01:39   #4
Vollldo

Undusting this thread. I didn't check the Illustra extended adf, is it cracked and transferable to floppy ?

Old 23 February 2017, 22:10   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
if my memory is correct, only the longtrack protection has been removed. The other tracks are still in their long format, and can't be really written back.
Old 26 February 2017, 03:35   #6
Vollldo

Yes, unfortunatly.

Old 08 March 2017, 08:25   #7
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
Can someone crack it ???
I imagine others have in the past (no reason not to have done, beyond 'running time' and patience ):

I took the original 2801 SPS image and 'cracked' (remastered) it down to a working, single disk, regular .adf image with no removed files.

The original image is crammed - ~1.1M of $1a00 long tracks - but the remastered version fits with some room to spare thanks to shrinkler. Currently packing *all* files, and there's enough room to leave a couple of 'common' files unpacked if necessary.

The issue: it's just murderous to play on an A500 - the decompression times just add additional misery. It's almost bearable on A1200 and higher, but it's not something I would feel good about finishing and releasing unless there's a critical need.

Code:
Mouse click to Intro running:

Original (A500):                     ~13 seconds
Unoptimized crack/remaster (A500):   ~41 seconds  ;_;
Unoptimized crack/remaster (A4000):  ~16 seconds
[My trackloader delays are over cautious currently, hence being slightly longer than the original on A4000]

So what do?

It's not a game (or rather game *code*) I'm particularly interested in. Bluntly: There's no technical interest beyond this point, it's just manual labour (shuffling/prioritizing files/testing) now. And I'm a lazy fecker.

Is there some reason the extended adf (or better - the ipf image) isn't 'good enough'?

Last edited by pants; 08 March 2017 at 08:38.
Old 08 March 2017, 09:13   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pants View Post
I imagine others have in the past (no reason not to have done, beyond 'running time' and patience ):

I took the original 2801 SPS image and 'cracked' (remastered) it down to a working, single disk, regular .adf image with no removed files.

The original image is crammed - ~1.1M of $1a00 long tracks - but the remastered version fits with some room to spare thanks to shrinkler. Currently packing *all* files, and there's enough room to leave a couple of 'common' files unpacked if necessary.

The issue: it's just murderous to play on an A500 - the decompression times just add additional misery. It's almost bearable on A1200 and higher, but it's not something I would feel good about finishing and releasing unless there's a critical need.

Code:
Mouse click to Intro running:

Original (A500):                     ~13 seconds
Unoptimized crack/remaster (A500):   ~41 seconds  ;_;
Unoptimized crack/remaster (A4000):  ~16 seconds
[My trackloader delays are over cautious currently, hence being slightly longer than the original on A4000]

So what do?

It's not a game (or rather game *code*) I'm particularly interested in. Bluntly: There's no technical interest beyond this point, it's just manual labour (shuffling/prioritizing files/testing) now. And I'm a lazy fecker.

Is there some reason the extended adf (or better - the ipf image) isn't 'good enough'?
You can't write the extended ADF back, the tracks are too long.
Old 11 March 2017, 19:04   #9
Vollldo

I'm not interested by this game too, but that's not the question. The question is to propose a complete cracked full set to the Amiga community, so people can pick what they want. All tastes are in nature, it IS what makes life interesting. The TOSEC adf set would be reduced to the strict minimum if, back in the days, crackers broke only the games they loved or played.

Old 11 March 2017, 23:16   #10
pants

Quote:
The TOSEC adf set would be reduced to the strict minimum if, back in the days, crackers broke only the games they loved or played.
Thanks Vollldo - we absolutely agree on the 'why'

I'm still trying to understand 'Amiga In 2017' but it seems most folks have moved away from standard floppies(?), so my question was more to understand the desire for public release of a standard image - I wasn't sure if there would be any given this title exists in other formats (extended adf, whdload, ipf etc).

I crack/reverse engineer purely for personal enjoyment these days. I've selected platforms/architectures/titles etc that held an interest for me in the past and am working my way through them. For now, I'm back cracking on the Amiga and was between projects when I saw this post. I'd never heard of 'Champ' before, so took a look. Reformatting the longtracks to fit on a standard image (adf) was straightforward but imposed long loadtimes - kind of unavoidable without removing content which I never do.

Improving loadtimes involves much, much, more work than the cracking/reformatting - it's laborious 'low technical return' work, and given the amount of compression will never be ideal - so, for me personally, not super motivating.

I was at a crossroads, I guess, hoping for permission to leave this alone and perhaps inspire someone else to finish it

[ In the end, I did move on to something else, but it's likely I'll return and improve things at some point. ]
Old 27 October 2017, 01:03   #11
pants

Quote:
Hello, a friend made me notice that "The Champ" by Linel seems uncracked.
agr-thechamp.zip uploaded to the zone.

cracked/fixed/trained by anon. no content removed. tested on A500/A500+/A600/A1200(020)/A4000(040) setups, but could probably use more eyes.