English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 May 2015, 23:45   #1
grizzlyaddams

Can't get CD ROM working on IDE A2000

I have a DataFlyer PLUS with SCSI and IDE in my Amiga 2000 with ECS and 3.1

There is a 120gb IDE hard drive attached to the controller card, 4gb is recognized and I made 3 partitions all smaller than 2gb. WB is installed, everything works fine.

I attached an IDE CD ROM to the controller as well, jumper set to slave (HD is set to master). When I turn on the computer, it polls the CD ROM normally, so it is obviously communicating with the controller. It also polls the CD ROM when I change the disc.

However, I cannot get the computer to actually recognize that the CD drive is there. I have tried AMICDROM, ASimCDFS, and IDEFIX97, as well as any drivers available when trying to use SCSI Inquire etc. SCSI Inquire will see the IDE HDD but not the CD ROM drive. If I proceed with installation without selecting the drive and set it up manually, it will complete, but ASimCDFS will not mount the drive. AMICDROM will say that the drive is already mounted, but it doesnt show up on the wb, and if I cd to CD0: it says it is not a DOS disk, even with a music CD in the drive.

The driver for the controller card is ExpSys.device. It does not see the CD ROM drive. SCSI.device sees nothing. Most Atapi drivers will scan correctly but find nothing. ASIM_ATAPI.device locks up the entire computer when it tries to scan.

Any advice? Thanks!

Edit: Could it be that I am using the wrong type of IDE cable for more than one IDE device? Do I need a twisted cable? Pin 20 is keyed on the cable I am using but the controller has all 40 pins in place. I accidentally broke pin 20 when inserting the cable. The hard drive still works fine, as pin 20 is not present on it or the CD Rom drive either, so I wouldn't think this is causing the problem but who knows!?
Old 26 April 2022, 05:28   #2
denDrown

I also tried to get my DataFlyer to recognize an IDE CD-ROM. I had a very similar experience and never got it to work. Hard drive? Yes. CD? I could never get it to do more than flash the activity light briefly.
Old 26 April 2022, 11:58   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

ASimCDFS documentation states that Dataflyer is tested with "ExpSys.device (version 3.0)"

Does that mean version 3 of the Dataflyer ROM? (Or version 3 of ASimCDFS? I think the last version was version 3.10)

Can you use the CLI to see which version you have? Perhaps you need a ROM update?