English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 December 2012, 08:50   #1
Mixter

Some bugs in 2.5.0 I found

Thanks for a good release Toni!

I found some bugs.

1. For example sometimes, in WB 3.1/KS 3.1 Picasso96 changes between 50 and 60 hz in Screenmode prefs even if I have 50 hz as screen refresh rate, without changing anything else, maybe the * on display refresh rate list (50 hz) is a cause?

2. If the screen is set to 60 hz before but in Winuae is 50 hz by Winuae Prefs: Display, Field area Screen; Display refresh rate, the screen goes black in Native mode (non rtg) upon starting and in apps/games and the same thing happens if I set the screen to 50 hz, but in Winuae 60 hz. This only apply to when Settings field; Native and RTG is set to full-screen but not full-window or windowed. The display refresh rate list in Screen field have a * on 50 hz means its why Winuae doesn't want to autoswitch the display refresh rate? Directdraw didn't have this bug but D3D did.

3. The FPS adj in display seem to change from 50 to 60 even in 50 hz screen modes, so I have to lock it to 50 by checkmark.

The * is screen modes my monitor is not supposed to "support" but it can show and use them, 50 hz and 25 hz interlaced. It corresponds with the advanced Monitor settings in Windows 7 (refresh rate list don't show modes checkbox)

Last edited by Mixter; 05 December 2012 at 09:21.
Old 05 December 2012, 09:05   #2
Mixter

Also wonder if there is anything you can do to speed up F12 prefs dialog access time?

These 2 bugs (my first post in this thread), I have to workaround like setting 50 hz before, and use full-window instead.

But it works perfect now. No reason to not use full-window on a fast computer.

RTG scaling feature is awesome. I use same screen mode for native and Picasso96,
and both is double buffering, so switching between them is instant.

What does the always scale in window mode checkbox do?

I also noticed Winuae prefs dont save some settings, I can check them for you if you want Toni.

Last edited by Mixter; 05 December 2012 at 09:16.
Old 05 December 2012, 09:35   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't think I understand what you mean in your first post. Screenshots probably help.. (and winuaebootlog.txt)

Quote:
What does the always scale in window mode checkbox do?
RTG mode is always scaled to window size (instead of window resized to RTG mode).

ADDED: What settings are not saved?

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 05 December 2012 at 12:45.
Old 06 December 2012, 03:19   #4
Mixter

Well, its kinda hard to reproduce/explain the bug No 1. Now it always stay at 50 hz in screenmode prefs. But one thing that stands out is the OSD, it says 60 hz in RTG? Even if it should be 50 hz. In native PAL, its always 50. Maybe something with my Picasso96 install. It is probably also related to bug No 3. Because I dont understand why FPS is at 60 but it should be 50... chipset, everything is set at 50 hz, even the main screen and in Picasso96.

Because I run everything in PAL in Winuae (I am Swedish)

EDIT: Now this time, it show as 50 [60] in window OSD. Is this correct? Fps adj shows also its running in 60 hz with checkbox off in Display settings.
When I changed this to 50 hz it show 60 [60] in window OSD. Strange.
Maybe will reinstall everything and see if it corrects with Picasso96.

EDIT2: Screenmode prefs in WB doesn't update refresh rate to real display refresh rate. I tried to restart/reboot WinUAE etc. It doesnt change from 50<->60 if I change the real screen refresh rate in Win7/WinUAE.

Additionaly, about bug No 2, I found out that in windowed/full-windowed mode it does indeed change the refresh rate! But only after I clicked on the Host/Display tab (after loaded the main configuration) and it (the display refresh rate) does not change if config is set to full-screen mode, and makes also the screen black etc.

Yes the setting not saved its in the filter preferences, if I change aspect ratio correction to disabled and save, after restarting winuae it changes into Automatic.

Also why does the trashcan in Win7 get filled every time I save the configuration in Winuae? Have to empty it often.

Thanks, I now use the always scale in window mode on for RTG!

Last edited by Mixter; 25 June 2013 at 22:11.
Old 06 December 2012, 09:15   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Looks normal so far..

RTG and chipset modes can (and usually will) have different refresh rates. Default Picasso96 configuration always sets chipset to 60Hz refresh rate. (if ECS Agnus or AGA)

FPS Adj. only affects chipset refresh rate.

RTG mode refresh rates in Display AmigaOS preferences are ignored, you can force it yourself using WinUAE Expansion panel.

Amiga-side setting is ignored because RTG refresh rate isn't that important and because it supports any Windows resolution, it is the best to let Windows select the refresh rate by default.

AFAIK it has always been like this.

Quote:
Yes the setting not saved its in the filter preferences, if I change aspect ratio correction to disabled and save, after restarting winuae it changes into Automatic.
rtg aspect ratio was not fully fixed yet, loading config with rtg aspect ratio cleared filter aspect ratio setting..

Quote:
Also why does the trashcan in Win7 get filled every time I save the configuration in Winuae
It saves a backup of old configuration. (No, it won't be changed, config files are tiny)
Old 13 December 2012, 22:56   #6
Mixter

I discovered a "new" bug on my laptop with i5 450/Nvidia 540m, nothing helps here compared to with my stationary computer. Even switching to Directdraw doesnt help the black screen problem. It happens always after reset (after starting the emulator and its booting to workbench one time only). "Restart" in F12 is the only thing that "cures" this bug. I have tried everything (changing optimus adapter from Intel to Nvidia, 50/60 hz settings in every panel in Winuae, NTSC mode, Directdraw, triple buffer, no filters, PAL filter, no buffer, no vsync, no low latency vsync, low latency vsync, low latency vsync 50/60 etc, all 3 modes of screen (windowed, full-window, fullscreen) The bug with the black screen has been around for many years, I saw it in 2005... Log attached and also when it is black, SND is faded to grey forever and the emulator is "looping". When I do "restart" in F12 and then start again, the issue is worked around. Screenshot attached and logs as well.

Old 14 December 2012, 08:25   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Adjust your config as minimal as possible first (no JIT, 68020 CPU, no RTG, etc..) to reduce unknown variables.

Still happening? What do you mean by "looping"? Does background color flash once when you click reset (not restart)?

It most likely has nothing to do with host side display handling if exact same happens in DD and D3D modes and window resizing or switching to fullscreen does nothing.

EDIT: Strange test: when black screen happens, enter GUI, remove all harddrives, exit GUI, press reset key combination. Do you get insert disk screen?

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 14 December 2012 at 10:53.
Old 23 December 2012, 18:27   #8
Mixter

Tested with 2.5.1 and it still seem there but seems a bit better? Took time to get in WB after the second reset, and only on laptop... 5 minutes kinda... before on 2.5.0, it just stays forever on the black screen (loops forever there) with SND grey. Yes, when I do the reset, it doesn't flash, just becomes black (no color changes after black, no flicker) But it is still random and waiting long time is not good, its still a bug.

I removed JIT, 68020... until I removed RTG, this fixed this problem (0 mb) but only once, then the black screen continued.
But ONLY when I use the F12 reset... until I did a Restart and then only used the reset key combo, everything was ok.

With RTG, after a restart and then reset after in WB, it loops (doing something or just nothing happens with black screen) again with SND grey for an very long time, sometimes it goes in WB... 5 minutes or more. Its kinda random...

Interesting thing I noticed when I changed RTG Z3 from say 16 to 32 mb and reset, the black screen goes away. Then also if I want to reset again, I change from 32 mb to 16 mb again and the reset into WB works again. I think it offers some clues how you could solve this problem.. something is forgotten to reinitialize on NVIDIA optimus computers but the bug could affect other computers as well?

I tried the removing all HDD and then reset... the insert disk took a very long time to appear. Very strange indeed... also I think I have noticed this behavior in real Amiga, is there a kind of timeout? Same with RTG but other bug?

Going to try a clean installation with RTG again. Do I need the uaegfx? Clean picasso96 install? and then copy the rtg.library from Winuae folder...

I hope we can really fix this bug! I hope I explained it so well I could... I want to make Winuae perfect!

version rtg.library is 40.3994, which is current. If I remove uaegfx, p96 (rtg) doesn't work and it enters WB.

ADDED: I did the reset key combo... it seemed to flicker to real black for like 1/50 sec and then became a little bit lighter. Compare this to the F12 reset, which never did like this = black without flicker...

ADDED2: Very strange... when I did the reset key combo in WB, it did not give the black screen... but if I did a ordinary Reset in F12, it did become black... and then the reset key combo doesn't work anymore. Only first time with F12 reset. It must be something with the F12 panel reset. And that the Z3 increase from 16 to 32 or vice verse and reset in F12 did fix this.

ADDED3: I did the mouse combo trying to enter early startup meny. It did only work with the reset key combo... not F12 reset so it must be the RTG enabled feature... initialization parameters I think. Remember, "Restart" button in F12 did also work as a workaround besides the Z3 16-32 mb and back 32-16 mb vice versa +reset F12... it is something with WinUAE handling of RTG plus the F12 reset...

I think you can solve this bug now... you have now many clues...

Also other reason I can think I was affected by it for so long, is because I never used the reset key combo so much.
Instead, I resorted to the F12 reset...

Last edited by Mixter; 23 December 2012 at 19:08.
Old 24 December 2012, 16:35   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
tried the removing all HDD and then reset... the insert disk took a very long time to appear. Very strange indeed... also I think I have noticed this behavior in real Amiga
KS 3.1 will wait long time for IDE drives but normally WinUAE enables "ide killer" if IDE emulation is enabled without drives or if chipset extra is set to "generic".
Perhaps you have mismatched ROM and hardware? (A4000 ROM + A1200 chipset extra setting or vice versa).

Quote:
RTG hang
Run with -log -logflush command line parameter and mark last log line when it hangs.

Attach also your config file.
Old 05 January 2013, 00:13   #10
Mixter

Right, it was the A4000 ROM + A1200 chipset extra that gave me the black screen.

When I changed to right A4000 extra setting the problem became solved...

Thank you Toni, I dont think we need any logfile as it has solved the problem.

Both F12 reset and reset key combo works fine now.

One thing though is with 2.5.1 the scaling has changed, so full-window and windowed scaling ratio isn't the same.
How do I make the same way with 2.5 version?

For example, If I wanted same scaling effect in windowed as in full-window?
(to make visible screen edges touch window edges?)
Maybe I need to change the aspect ratio setting?

For example 1-3 pixel resize with window screen border can make it look as before (all edges on right places)

I show you 2 pics you see the second pic the window is only slightly resized to the right and it appears like it has snatched back to all borders, but change it back only some pixels and it becomes like the first pic.

When I do full-window, all edges is ok like in pic2 but when I do change back to windowed, it becomes like on pic1 so I have to resize again in the filters panel.

It seems like a bug. My filters setting on 3rd pic attached too.

Old 05 January 2013, 16:12   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Enable automatic scaling option? Manual scaling isn't guaranteed to stay the same. (It could be normal, it could a bug..)
Old 07 January 2013, 03:42   #12
Mixter

I found the solution. I had to use same ratio for window compared to the full-window screen.

Full-window: 1366x768 = same ratio as Window: 1024x576.

1366/768=1.78
1024/576=1.78

Now I can switch between full-window and windowed without any skew.

That solved my problems.

I have one question: Can I autoload a configuration if I specify a command line? Mixter.uae, or do it in WinUAE? (default.uae right?)

Last edited by Mixter; 07 January 2013 at 04:01.
Old 07 January 2013, 19:56   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

-f <config file>