English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 April 2012, 07:57   #1
fishyfish
Banned

A1200 + component?

I must confess to not knowing a lot about video signals, but I stumbled across this while browsing:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing on thier Amigas? I was hopeing it might be a cheap option to use lcd tvs with something other than scart or composite. Obviously using a vga adaptor though 1st as well
While composite works and gives me a flicker free display in interlaced modes the image is far from sharp, and connecting to the tvs vga connection only works with vga screenmodes.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 19 April 2012, 12:53   #2
fgh

The scart standard can transfer both composite and RGB.
Most amiga users use a scart connection from the Amiga RGB port. (Video signal is then RGB component video, like VGA)

You would need an Amiga RGB to Scart cable.
You should be aware that some older cables are not built correctly to SCART spec (wrong voltages) and might not work with all modern displays.
If a 'bad' cable works or not depends on the tolerances of the video encoders in your TV. (More info by Ian Stedman here and here)

To be sure, get a cable from Amigakit, they are the only ones that you can be sure are made according to scart specification. Other/used cables are cheaper, and work in most cases but not all.
It's also possible to use an Amiga RGB to VGA connection, [Edit: but Amiga RGB-VGA cables or adapters are not so common any more], and many VGA inputs will not accept amiga resolutions. (even if the same TV accepts it via scart)
You should also know that many modern TV's with multiple SCART inputs do not accept RGB signals on all of them. (Scart 1 is the only RGB input on my samsung LCD)

Last edited by fgh; 19 April 2012 at 13:07.
Old 19 April 2012, 12:56   #3
ajk

At a glance that cable does not seem to do anything to the signal itself, so RGB stays as RGB. You need an active circuit to convert to component (red, green and blue _cables_, but luma and colour difference _signals_) form.