English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 02 February 2011, 03:26   #1
source
Zone Friend

warm reset to boot

My 4 gig ide drive invmy 4000D finally bit the bullet. I guess I can't complain for 10 or so years. I went to the local shop and all they had was a 500 gig drive. So far I only have created 3 partitions all three partitions are und the 4 gig mark. 3.9 has been installed, but with a cold boot, the machine goes to the please insert a dos disk screen. Once I do a warm boot, it will boot to 3.9. (No floppy disk ever installed) I am wondering of the drive is still spinning up when the ide on the motherboard queries the drive, and because it is not ready it reports no diskdrive available. And the warm reboot allows for the drive to fully spin up. Does anyone know if this is a possibilty or not. If it is, is there a way to delay the ide query a couple of seconds to allow for the drive to spinup?

Thanks
Old 02 February 2011, 04:26   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Cut the first wire of the IDE cable.

That's may cure the issue. If not, then upgrade the ROM to real 3.1 instead of rekicked nones.
Old 02 February 2011, 08:42   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have had this problem with my first 40MB HDD for my A600, 15yrs ago. The disk was just too slow and Amiga initiated herself so fast after turn-on. But today I wouldn't expect problems like these.
Old 02 February 2011, 19:09   #4
source
Zone Friend

what does cutting wire one do. I assume the red wire. As for real roms. I have 3.1 roms installed.
Old 04 February 2011, 15:32   #5
orange

I think you shouldn't cut ide wire. that might help only in case warm boot fails too.
its strange that 3.1 rom ide delay is too short.

are you sure your rom is OK?

I'd test it with other drive.
what filesystem do you use?
Old 04 February 2011, 15:45   #6
thomas

A (somewhat expensive) solution for the problem is a flash ROM expansion like the Deneb. It does the warm reboot for you automatically and has the further advantage to be able to hold the >4GB support modules in resident memory from the start. Boot partitions will no longer require to be in the lower 4GB area of the disk.
Old 08 February 2011, 01:17   #7
source
Zone Friend

When I use another drive it boots without having to reboot. As for a deneb I have a few of them, and I am planning to put one in this machine. The question i always had is do vyou copy the 3.9 rom file from l directory to the deneb with luciferin. Do you need to put a script in the flashrom to execute. Does the deneb flash rom know what to do with the file as well can you copy the isbstackloader file from the env directory so you dont ave to execute it in the startupsequence