English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 February 2010, 22:47   #1
Jurbo

A500 -> GVP Impact II HD+ -> R-IDSC-E/R works!

Hi!

I just wanted to chime in with a happy note (and I guess the eBay seller of the R-IDSC-E/R adapters will soon be happy too, as the following might give him some business):

I finally got my GVP Impact II HD+ to communicate with storage devices! I bought an R-IDSC-E/R SCSI->IDE adapter off eBay for $20, and I managed to connect several IDE devices to the GVP successfully.

Here are my successful jumper settings for the R-IDSC-E/R:
IDE CD-ROM, SCSI ID 0; no jumpers connected
IDE HDD , SCSI ID 0; connect jumpers 5 and 7
IDE->CF adapter, SCSI ID 0; connect jumpers 5 and 7

An old 1,6 GB Western Digital Caviar 31600 IDE HDD failed to work with the R-IDSC-E/R. It works on my PC's and my Amiga, connected to a CFIDE68k adapter.

My next challenge is to find a CF card that will communicate with my PC, as the current 2GB Silicon Power doesn't, at least with my current CF-IDE adapter. Works on the Amiga, but I don't have a viable transfer solution...

So guys, someone go grab the 10-pack of these SCSI->IDE adapters off eBay... They work...

Edit:
Oh, here's a link to a pdf with information on the jumpers:
http://www.synack.net/~bbraun/IDSC21...r_Settings.pdf

Last edited by Jurbo; 04 February 2010 at 22:50. Reason: Added a link
Old 04 February 2010, 23:22   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Use a USB->CF card reader and it will work with the PC
Old 05 February 2010, 00:10   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
... adding the CF as an HD on WinUAE.
Old 05 February 2010, 08:42   #4
Jurbo

With my IDE-CF adapter, my PC shows the Silicon Power CF card as a fixed device in the device manager, but if I try to communicate in any way with the card, the PC just freezes. Winuae does the same.

So you guys think that a USB adapter will remedy this? That would be really great!
Could you point me to a specific model that is known to work (an eBay link would be great)? A cheap one, preferably...
Old 07 February 2010, 22:30   #5
Jurbo

Cool

For once I went the fast and easy way and grabbed a Kingston USB card reader for 18 euros at a nearby store. And yes, I now can use the Silicon Power CF with WinUAE, so I'm all set for massive file transfering!

I also bridged the CN5 and CN6 jumpers inside the GVP to run it from the Amiga power supply (I'm guessing that a CF requires very little power so this shouldn't be too much of a strain on the Amiga PSU).

So, life seems good over here, Amiga-wise!
Old 10 February 2010, 20:22   #6
Damion

Thanks for the tip. I've had bad luck with this thing so far, no-go on my A3000D SCSI or TekMagic SCSI. I suppose it could be the CF adapter or card, though they work fine with my Acard.
Old 11 February 2010, 05:32   #7
Photon

Which IDE units are successfully working with this setup?

I don't see any list you see. But it's late and I may have missed something. Also, use them and copy files and save files in text editors and so on, to see if it's reliable. Sometimes corruption errors creep out after some use.
Old 11 February 2010, 06:56   #8
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Thanks for the tip. I've had bad luck with this thing so far, no-go on my A3000D SCSI or TekMagic SCSI. I suppose it could be the CF adapter or card, though they work fine with my Acard.
R-IDSC works fine in my A3000. I've had some troubles with SFS but it works ok so far with FFS 45.13. (Sandisk Extreme III 16 gb card)
Old 11 February 2010, 18:14   #9
Photon

Excellent then Hehe, I like your avatar

OK, so if it works with CF cards, I guess Acard's gotta watch out... $20 is less than $90...
Old 23 February 2010, 09:09   #10
Damion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
R-IDSC works fine in my A3000. I've had some troubles with SFS but it works ok so far with FFS 45.13. (Sandisk Extreme III 16 gb card)
Well, I dunno WTF I was doing wrong before, but I gave it another go and sure enough it's working fine with everything. I like the shape of the Acard 7720U/UW a bit better (fits easier in an A3000, or A2000 with PCI slot CF adapter), but for $20 shipped you really can't go wrong. Performance seems to be exactly the same as the Acard. :-)

Funny you mention the Extreme III - I had major problems with that and my Acard, finally gave up and bought a different CF card. Might be interesting to pull it back out and see if it'll jive with FFS (definitely a no-go with SFS and PFS3).
Old 23 February 2010, 15:42   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

this is Awesome

I am in the middle of writing a review for this bit of kit on AmiBay!!!

I got mine back in January - shortly after Christmas, I am very pleased with it, although it has *physical* short comming the adpater really has exceeded my expectations!

I have done some extensive tests to, (around the PIO and UDMA settings) with various results on various controllers.

I hope to get it finished soon (with added lots of pics)

heres some pics (this thread needs more hardware pr0n)

heres the device setup and running on the A500HC+ (8MB FAST)
68000@7(ish) MHz
1MB CHIP

(click for larger image)

(click for larger image)

Interestingly the Hardrive was setup and prepped under WinUAE, the MASK is set to DMA to (24bit) FAST RAM, and the SCSI Bridge controller will only work with this device in PIO mode (not surprising as its an old 4.1GB HDD)

The intersting part is that the controller when set to prep this drive (using Faaaastprep) can only see 3.4GB of the device, where as using 3.1 install it will see all of the device

speeds are about 1.67MB per sec read / write - with the 20GB HDD in UDMA mode this lashup achieved 2.3MB per sec - although I believe this down to the size of the cach (8MB) on the 20GB HDD

still pretty fly for a basic 68k moto eh?

Last edited by Zetr0; 23 February 2010 at 15:47.
Old 23 February 2010, 16:34   #12
Lockon
Air supremacy

2.3MB per sec is upper limit for WDC SCSI controller in that GVP box.
With GuruROM it could loiter at Z2 max at 3.5MB.

Whaaaat?
Did someone mentioned GAL equations for GuruROM PCB
Old 23 February 2010, 23:09   #13
Photon

Yarr Lockon, someone should clone those and make some.

Great work Zetr0, I can see the bit sticking outside the box there, bummer hehe Nothing that can't be fixed by a longer cable or the usual 'slash the flatcable' A1200/A600 trick to put it at a different angle. I like those strong adhesive pads for cable ties, for my HD8+ I'd probably stick one of those in and strap it to the top lid. (There are also Velcro ties which are softer and can be torn open.)

I'd be interested to see some speed numbers for CF cards with these, as I've barely broken 1MB/s with the latest vanilla ROMs and FFS, for two GVP HD8+ cards now...
Old 24 February 2010, 01:15   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon View Post
Whaaaat?
Did someone mentioned GAL equations for GuruROM PCB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Yarr Lockon, someone should clone those and make some.
I tihnk I need to buy Lockon a beer and a he can tell me a story =)

Quote:
Great work Zetr0, I can see the bit sticking outside the box there, bummer hehe Nothing that can't be fixed by a longer cable or the usual 'slash the flatcable' A1200/A600 trick to put it at a different angle. I like those strong adhesive pads for cable ties, for my HD8+ I'd probably stick one of those in and strap it to the top lid. (There are also Velcro ties which are softer and can be torn open.)
Well the device itself only has a female IDE plug soldered to the board, my plan is to simply de-solder it and put a male socket there in its place, hence I can then mount the device anywhere out of the way =D

Quote:
I'd be interested to see some speed numbers for CF cards with these, as I've barely broken 1MB/s with the latest vanilla ROMs and FFS, for two GVP HD8+ cards now...
I think the problem you are facing here is cache, and the distinct lack of it with the CF-Cards

you will notice a lot more problems with microdives, as not only dont that have cache, but their power-saving feature keeps spinning them down and then back up again when it needs to fetch data.

I will do some tests tomorrow with CF - both in UDMA and PIO modes, I will hit you up on a PM, as I dont wanna hi-jack Jurbo's thread
Old 11 March 2010, 19:56   #15
paalrosen

hello. I have an amiga 500 plus with GVP A530 with no hd, since I've taken it out. gvp have 4 ram
I have mounted a 25 Pin SCSI cable to gvp that goes to 50 pin scsi. which goes to 50 pin ide .50 pin ide cable is installed on the IDE-SCSI controller that has a 40 pin ide to my cd-rom
cd rom has power, and start reading Amiga CDTV disc
but nothing happens
I have only the good old kick start screen
someone who can help me?

Old 11 March 2010, 21:42   #16
Jope
-

CDTV discs aren't bootable without CDTV emulation.. You need an A570 to use CDTV software with your A500+
Old 11 March 2010, 22:38   #17
paalrosen

ok, I did not know.
which CDs can I use? believe that the cd 32 CDs will not be used on a 16 bit machine?
thanks for the reply

Old 11 March 2010, 23:15   #18
Jope
-

Any CD is readable if you install workbench and a suitable cd filesystem onto a hard disk.
Old 19 November 2010, 12:26   #19
slk486
Registered Looser

I have a 120GB disk installed with 3 SFS partitions: 500mb, 3GB and the rest.

The disk works fine through the native IDE, but can't seem to make it work through my SCSI-II controller via the R-IDSC-E/R.

I've all but tried every jumper position (except the SCSI ID ones), but the boot select screen, does not show the partitions.

Could the R-IDSC-E/R be incompatible with the SCSI controller (GVP TREX-II)? It works with a regular 4GB SCSI disk.
Any ideas?
Old 19 November 2010, 14:54   #20
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@slk486

the T-Rex II scsi is not like other SCSI devices

you see the tekscsi2.device is not NSD (new style device) compliant, thus it can only autoboot from FFS partitions only. Interestingly the autobooter looks for filesystems in the Kickstart ROM and completely ignores filesystems loaded into the RDB area.

I think with a bit of work you could update a files system in the Kickstarts and see if that works.

you will need some time set aside for you, romsplit and remus =)