English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

View Poll Results: Amibay : a unique mix of a trading site and a forum ?
I like it just the way it is ! 12 28.57%
There is room for improvment, other than that a fine site 25 59.52%
It should be turned into something different (new rules, full relaunch...) 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 March 2009, 15:24   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Amibay strong points and issues as a retro trading site

Hi,

I propose this subject :
Amibay strong points and issues as a retro trading site

It may be an opportunity for EAB members who have experienced trading on Amibay to give their detailed feedback

It may be an opportunity for Amibay modos to explain in what ways (safety, ease of mind) their members benefited from their guidance and set of rules.

It may NOT be an excuse for mutual bashing, for issues arising from foul trades or account holders suspected of holding back information should be discussed (and settled hopefully) in private, preferably on the site the dispute originated from .

I assort the thread of a poll with basic options, which of course reflects only a very thin part of the general user opinion on Amibay.

Last edited by NewDeli; 28 March 2009 at 15:30.
Old 28 March 2009, 17:19   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I voted for "Always Room for improvment"
Old 28 March 2009, 17:30   #3
JuvUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
I voted for "Always Room for improvment"

same here doooooooooode
Old 28 March 2009, 18:02   #4
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Same here!

Hi Tufty!

Kin

Last edited by Kin Hell; 29 March 2009 at 01:06.
Old 28 March 2009, 18:29   #5
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Snap

Dave G
Old 28 March 2009, 19:37   #6
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Always room for improvement.

Hey Tufty, how do you deal with the itching?
Old 28 March 2009, 19:39   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

There's always room for improvement, of course
Old 28 March 2009, 19:48   #8
Paul_s

Happy

That Zetr0 character is dangerous imo. If you post pcb shots he gets all excited... then you end up buying everything
Old 28 March 2009, 20:19   #9
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

If I am honest, Zetr0 is right; AmiBay was a leap into the dark when we first set the site up, and it's still evolving. It is only right that the members who use the site get a chance to have their say on where the site should evolve to.

What people need to remember is that we are trying to achieve a unique balance between a trading site and a forum, and that isn't easy. You have to build in checks, balances, rules and protection for the trading side of things and by definition that always makes the rules more complex than for a forum.

That being said, I feel that the site is moving in the right direction and certainly offers something different, and we try to complement rather than compete against other sites. A high level of moderation isn't everyone's cup of tea, but that's the price to be paid for the level of secure trading that we provide.

We are always open to ideas anyway.
Old 28 March 2009, 21:37   #10
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Quote:
It should be turned into something different (new rules, full relaunch...)
It would be useful for all concerned that those who vote for the third option put some sort of explanation or suggestion.
If you felt so strongly about something to vote in that way, I'm sure the Devs & Mods would like to know why, even if to see if it is an idea that might slot into the existing format or at least set you straight.
Otherwise it's a bit pointless TBH.
Old 29 March 2009, 01:32   #11
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Well, if that remark was directed at me, here it is :
I prefer not to start writing about Amibay, even though I am the one who created the topic ! Why is that ? Well, first I didn't use their forum yet, two, I already mentioned my mild appreciation of their ruleset (upon a quick glance).

This said, ideas may come, even while being an observer. Amibay admins (gee, that terminology of yours is weird, what was that again, Super Gizmo ?) should be encouraged to tell us how it's going on, because of the open minded nature of the participants on such forums, driven by enthusiastic and dedicated sellers.

Also, it may be annoying for you to repeat it, but I am quite sure this time the posts will not be deleted ([idoru] is watching you ).

May I suggest that publicizing Amibay web site had, for one, the positive side effect to bring back Kin Hell and Merlin on here !

Last edited by NewDeli; 29 March 2009 at 01:50.
Old 29 March 2009, 14:30   #12
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Deleauvive

OK, here are some stats about Amibay.

It's been online for 15 months, it has 879 members as of today (although that includes some banned members, spammer and bot accounts to be honest). The site has a 100% successful record in trading and all disputes to date have been successfully resolved by the moderator team.

The site started as an Amiga trading site, but recently the activity in other retro formats has increased and this is really good to see. We feel that we offer a real alternative to a certain four-letter site that I can't bring myself to say (excuse me while I wash my mouth out ).

There is a lively banter on the site, even though the site is heavily moderated; this might sound like a contradiction in terms, however, with no flame wars or trolling going on, it is a breath of fresh air to just chat without all of the negativity. Some members appreciate the level of moderation, others dont; it's a fact of life on any forum.

The rules are complex to protect trading members and we are working behind the scenes to try to simplify them.

The Recycle Bin has been a major success and is used almost every day by members.

We've added AmiOracle for sharing knowledge and information, AmiRant as an area where members can blow off steam about whatever bugs them, Photo Booth so members can show off their hardware pr0n, all of which were suggestions by members. We have also added a feedback system to allow members to share trading experiences.

The site will continue to evolve and the past 15 months has validated that our business model of a forum mixed with a trading site can be made to work successfully.

Instead of putting your ideas in here, why not join up at AmiBay and present your ideas to us directly?

Cheers

M
Old 29 March 2009, 14:53   #13
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

/cue Kin....

@ Deleauvive

Thank you for your support!

@ All

Our back yard is patrolled an awful lot more than most Forums & It's done in such a manner to try & preserve all things of which are good.

I would like to take this opportunity to extend our best Wishes to everyone, particulary our Members who have really helped make AmiBay a "Safer Place to Trade" & have some fun along the way!

@ EAB Staff

We really never ever wanted to "Pimp" our site like this & I'd like to say a very personal "Thank You" to the Staff involved in recent events.

Kin
Old 30 March 2009, 11:08   #14
chiark
Needs a life

The one thing I think Amibay could greatly help out on is an anonymised deal database to give people strong examples of what things have sold for... I know why it's not there, but it would be damned useful!
Old 30 March 2009, 12:52   #15
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ chiark

Could that be construed as 'price driving' though, which is against one of the site's prime directives?
Old 30 March 2009, 13:09   #16
chiark
Needs a life

Serve the public trust, protect the innocent, uphold the law!

As I said, I understand why you do what you do. I just think something giving prices would be incredibly useful for both buyers and sellers.

No, it's not price driving, it's providing a resource for people to look up what things have sold for previously when trying to price something. That seems fairer than hoping ebay has something in the last 90 days semi-relevant!
Old 30 March 2009, 13:19   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Price driving really shouldn't be an issue. I would imagine on Amibay countless numbers of the same thing has sold, so if someone tries to get an unrealistic price, then they are going to be told surely?
Old 30 March 2009, 13:32   #18
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
which can be considered price driving surly Galahad ask "too cheap Kin" hehehehhehahahha

I to would like 2 see the prices of items as they rise and fall in value but I guess thats not what the site wants to do, or dose it ? as its still evovleing
Old 30 March 2009, 15:59   #19
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
so if someone tries to get an unrealistic price, then they are going to be told surely?
They can try to troll the thread in such a manner & then they will have to answer to the AmiBay Mods.
So no, anyone suggesting someone is asking too higher price on the thread will be reprimanded accordingly. This might upset the reprimanded party, but only if he/she lets it! - Rules are Rules & must be observed at all times.

This overlaps the reasons why we don't allow offers on the thread. However, there is nothing wrong with anyone making an offer via PM. It is the preferred method to help quell price driving & trolling on a public thread, period.
If the seller were to be bombarded repeatedly by a prospective purchaser, the prospector would also be reprimanded accordingly.

Anything in this world is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it & anyones personal views on the value of item for sale is usually scaled to suit their own pocket.

Too Expensive!? - Then it wont sell & they will have to reconsider their sale price.

@ cosmicfrog

Wayyy too cheap! - Let's not even go there m8y!

Kin
Old 30 March 2009, 16:08   #20
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
sorry kin only read about it last night and no way I`m I going to read all the stuff about it hehehhe

so I shall mention it no more