English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 29 August 2008, 07:57   #1
Nomad of Norad

Location: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy...
Send a message via ICQ to Nomad of Norad Send a message via AIM to Nomad of Norad Send a message via MSN to Nomad of Norad Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad of Norad
Question AExplorer -- socket cannot be bound

I have booted the Amiga Forever live-CD onto a peecee, and tried to run AExplorer from the dock. So far as I understand it, this is the mechanism that lets me access that machine from a Windows peecee elsewhere on the LAN and see the drives from there.

Well, I click the AExplorer button, and it comes up with a window showing that it has launched into TCP/IP mode and so on, then it comes up with another window telling me:

Socket cannot be bound

What's going on here? I can fire up Aweb on that machine and browse to the outside world on it, so it's not like the TCP/IP stack ain't working...

I want to transfer some files to that machine, but if I can't get Amiga Explorer running...
Old 29 August 2008, 10:35   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You have AExplorer running on both machines (Client and Server)?

You have the right IP address entered?
Old 29 August 2008, 20:11   #3
Nomad of Norad

Send a message via ICQ to Nomad of Norad Send a message via AIM to Nomad of Norad Send a message via MSN to Nomad of Norad Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad of Norad
I have the client version installed on the Windoze peecee, and so far as I understand it, the version you get when booting from the AmigaForever CD is the server version. How DO you set the IP address in the live-CD version of AF? Or does it get the IP address from the local DHCP server on my router?

Incidentally, I was using AE on the peecee to access my Amiga1200... which is now broken.

Last edited by Nomad of Norad; 29 August 2008 at 20:17. Reason: added 2nd paragraph
Old 29 August 2008, 21:07   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The Windows PC only runs the CLIENT part of AExplorer! Just as the Amiga only ever runs the server.

You must have copied the AExplorer server application over to the Amiga, start TCP/IP and then start AExplorer server before you can connect using the PC client.

Last edited by alexh; 29 August 2008 at 21:13.
Old 31 August 2008, 02:46   #5
Nomad of Norad

Let me rephrase myself:

I had an A1200 running, with AE server, routinely, and being accessed from a Windoze peecee. The A1200 has broken. I'm trying to set up another peecee to run AmigaForever, stand-alone (i.e. NOT from on top of Windoze), and then access THAT machine via AE on the Windoze peecee. And I'm getting the error "Socket cannot by bound" on the peecee I want to substitute for the A1200.

Clear now?

I'm assuming that the AExplorer button on the dock in AmigaForever (launched as a live-CD) is the server version. Am I correct in that? The readme that comes with it seems to imply that, anyway.

Last edited by Nomad of Norad; 31 August 2008 at 02:49. Reason: added last paragraph
Old 31 August 2008, 04:48   #6
SkippyAR

Lightbulb Snapshot

This help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moo.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	17726  

Old 31 August 2008, 09:10   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad of Norad View Post
I'm trying to set up another peecee to run AmigaForever, stand-alone (i.e. NOT from on top of Windoze), and then access THAT machine via AE on the Windoze peecee. And I'm getting the error "Socket cannot by bound" on the peecee I want to substitute for the A1200.

Clear now?
Crystal. I am not 100% familiar with this bootable Amiga Forever live. One would guess that it is a mini install of linux with E-UAE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad of Norad View Post
I'm assuming that the AExplorer button on the dock in AmigaForever (launched as a live-CD) is the server version. Am I correct in that? The readme that comes with it seems to imply that, anyway.
Has to be. AFAIK there is no client for the "Amiga".

Hmm you're trying to run the server on the "Amiga" and keep getting "Socket cannot be bound" message from the Amiga Explorer server application. But the TCP/IP service is running on the "Amiga" because you have internet access eh?...

I wonder what else is running in the background?

I wonder what the tool-types are for the Server? Can you find out?

Last edited by alexh; 31 August 2008 at 09:18.
Old 31 August 2008, 09:31   #8
thomas

Probably the UAE port used is not able to support listeners on the bsdsocket emulation. Or the underlying Linux is configured to refuse listeners.

I wonder what the point is to transfer files to a live-CD environment. When you shut it down all changes are gone anyway.

However, if nothing else helps, you could install an HTTP or FTP server on your Windows machine (for example FileZilla Server) and access it using AWeb.
Old 31 August 2008, 21:20   #9
Nomad of Norad

Duh!

HTTP server! Yeah, why didn't I think of that! I've already got an HTTP server in the form of my Network Attached Storage box... which is where I've stored the programs (archives) I want to try out on this thing anyway!

Color me stupid!