English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 March 2006, 12:03   #1
Graham Humphrey

My CD-ROM drive won't play audio

My system is A1200, 2.1G hard drive, 040/33 with MMU, FPU and 32M fast RAM, external floppy, Squirrel SCSI and CDROM drive (funnily enough).

This is strange but my drive won't play any audio tracks at all. It doesn't recognise audio CDs (I just get an CD0:???? icon) and games like T-Zero won't play audio tracks in the game. Also no CD-player programs recognise audio CDs either.

I use AmiCDFS 2.40 and cd.device. It was originally installed with Commodore's CDFS and I had the same problem with that. I can't seem to get any other filing system to work with it at all.

Normal Amiga and PC CDs work fine, but I'd really like to know how to play audio tracks. I'm not sure if it's my drive at fault or cd.device or something.
Old 11 March 2006, 15:48   #2
thomas

You cannot hear CD audio on the A1200 anyway unless you get some additional hardware to mix the CD audio output into the Amiga's audio channels.

SongPlayer is the only program I know which reads digital audio data from the CD and plays it through the Amiga's audio hardware.

Usually CD player programs and games just send the command to play audio to the CD drive and the drive then plays the music through its analogue output. You can hear it if you connect loudspeakers or a headset to the CD drive but it won't be mixed with the Amiga audio.
Old 11 March 2006, 22:57   #3
cooldude

Yep...MakeCD also plays CD audio thru the Ami, although the
quality is not that good. Some Amiga dealers sell a combo connector
to mix both outputs & send them to stereo unit. Have you tried plugging
earphones into the CD?? I once made up some RCA plugs to join the CD's
audio plug to the Amiga's output. (BTW The CD output is a LOT louder!)
Old 13 March 2006, 19:17   #4
Graham Humphrey

The problem is not that I can't hear it, just that it won't read it at all. Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Surely a CD drive should recognise an audio CD.
Old 13 March 2006, 20:07   #5
thomas

Quote:
Surely a CD drive should recognise an audio CD.
Are you really sure ? How old is it ? Does it have audio connectors ?

Another possibility is that audio playing is stopped by another command. For example if the dos driver is set up to poll for disk changes every three seconds, audio playback is stopped before it can even start.
Old 15 March 2006, 16:03   #6
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

How to check if the dos driver is setup to poll for disk changes every 3 secs?
Old 15 March 2006, 16:27   #7
thomas

Check the DosDriver for parameters and the driver's documentation.
Old 15 March 2006, 19:32   #8
kriz

Also AsimCdfs3.X can also play audio cd`s digitally through paula... (with the included cd audio software).

Strange stuff, best thing would be another cdrom to test with But since its scsi you maybe dont have a second one for testing..
Old 15 March 2006, 20:21   #9
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
Are you really sure ? How old is it ? Does it have audio connectors ?

Another possibility is that audio playing is stopped by another command. For example if the dos driver is set up to poll for disk changes every three seconds, audio playback is stopped before it can even start.
I'm not sure how old it is (I bought it second-hand). It does have audio connectors though. Will have to check the driver thing though.
Old 15 March 2006, 20:22   #10
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz
Also AsimCdfs3.X can also play audio cd`s digitally through paula... (with the included cd audio software).

Strange stuff, best thing would be another cdrom to test with But since its scsi you maybe dont have a second one for testing..
No I don't unfortunately. Where do I get AsimCDFS 3 from? That would be interesting to try.
Old 19 March 2006, 16:05   #11
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I just reinstalled OS3.9, and it fixed my audio problems, with the only difference from my previous OS3.9 install being that I didn't copy over the existing CDROM drivers, or the existing Cybergraphx/PPC video card drivers. So maybe as thomas suggested that may be the problem.

My CDROM also stop making strange mechanical sounds periodically. Maybe that was the polling that was causing that sound, and also stopping the CDROM audio working!

Mind you, my CDROM seems to be playing the audio mechanically, but no sound was actually coming out of speakers - so not sure if same issue as yours.