English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 November 2003, 00:56   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Roll eyes (sarcastic) "Keyboard piano" in Sonix: Problem with pressing several keys at the same time

I tested with Sonix 2.0.
(If you're in need of this version, I can upload it.)

This might be related to some specific keyboards (note I have a PS/2 keyboard, no USB one), therefore I need a wider audience before I can classify this a "bug".

Sub-version of the 2.0 release is unimportant. Take any of them you grab from Planetemu or other sources.

- make sure you're on the instruments screen
- press Q, E and T at the same time. You should get a C major chord.
- press E, 6 and U at the same time. You should get a E major chord.

First combi works, second combi doesn't.
E and 6 can be pressed at the same time, but pressing the U key additionally to that won't make the third note audible.
Pressing E and U at the same time works though, as well as pressing 6 and U.

Can you reproduce this with your keyboards? :hoo
Old 28 November 2003, 08:18   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Most PC keyboards can't handle more than 2 - 4 keys pressed (depending on location of key) at the same time without losing key presses.
Old 28 November 2003, 10:23   #3
gary

I had the same situation with ProTracker on my real amigas. On an A500 I could play some chords, on my A1200 I could not.
Old 28 November 2003, 14:33   #4
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
it's definately a hardware limitation, down to the physical layout of the keyboard. All the keys are on a grid, if you press a second key thats on a track thats already in use things are usually ok, but press a third key that uses 1 of the tracks from the other 2 keys and it won't be detected as it won't change anything

Try on of these:

Last edited by Severin; 28 November 2003 at 14:48.
Old 28 November 2003, 15:21   #5
Amiga1992

Severin: WTF is that? I'm VERY interested! Looks like the perfect interface for my VJ program. Can you tell me the name?
Old 28 November 2003, 16:30   #6
FromWithin
Music lord

Prodikeys
Old 28 November 2003, 17:50   #7
Amiga1992

The site is quite uninformative about it... let me know something, does this one include a MIDI interface, or not? Because I'm actually targetting for an Midiman Oxygen 8 which doubles as a USB MIDI interface and a MIDI controller (I can use it stand-alone with any MIDI device, or through USB with the computer and other devices)

Just read further, it is not a MIDI interface, doesn't work for me. Thanks for the pointer though!
Old 29 November 2003, 11:14   #8
WintermuteX

Well .. i don't own one, but at least it SOUNDS like it hasn't any other interface than PS/2 .. so you would need an extra MIDI Interface solution if you need an MIDI port. I don't know your hardware configuration, but maybe it would be a wise move to buy a new soundcard with midi-interface like a terratec or audigy platinum or something like this and this keyboard ... or an synthesizer and forget about the keyboard ...

Quote:
Highly Velocity-Sensitive MIDI Keyboard

When the palm rest is removed, you will see the 37-key MIDI keyboard. It works exactly like a standard MIDI controller with the popular MIDI software).

With this single keyboard, you are able to access all the 128 General MIDI instrument sounds on your PC - from the grand piano, organ, string, brass to percussion and more.
Old 29 November 2003, 15:56   #9
Amiga1992

I have an iBook, which has no possibility of audio card expansion. So I need an USB MIDI interface.

The Oxygen8 is great to me, because it not only has a keyboard (full size keys, and with that physical octave it's enough, I can switch it), but 16 user-definable kobs and sliders to tweak shit. Something that Prodikeys doesn't.

There's an expanded version of the Oxygen8 which has double teh size of the keyboard, but that beats the portability for me. All my set HAS to be -tiny-. Not for anything I call my live audio set "pocket audio set"
Old 30 November 2003, 09:29   #10
WintermuteX

*lol* ok, didn't knew that =)