English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 26 July 2003, 00:47   #1
yadster

Problems with WHDLOAD

After getting a decent hardrive for my Miggy 1200 I installed WHDLOAD (v14.5) and everything seemed ok until I installed It Came From The Desert and it said something like I need a newer version. So I installed the latest version (v15.2) and now all my games crash with the error message Exception "Trace" ($2024) at $78EAFD3E (Resload $40C6 occured). It gives three options of QUIT, RESTART or MAKE COREDUMP. I can reinstall v14.5 and everything is fine except for ICFTD.

My setup is an A1200, WB3.0, Blizzard 030 with 16meg ram and 2 gig HD. The copy of WHDLOAD is unregistered as I get the nag screen and Moonstone won't run. If I registered will this solve the problem or is it compatability problems with my accelerator.

Thanks for listening.

Yadster.
Old 26 July 2003, 00:52   #2
fisken uno
Zone Friend

I don't know, but the error messages are similar to those I get when I try to install unsupported versions of games. Strange that it works with an older version, for me it (naturally) has been the other way; Versions that previously didn't work do it now. Maybe it is compatibility problems, but it certainly hasn't got anything to do with your version being unregistered.
Old 26 July 2003, 10:23   #3
yadster

hmmmmmm

I installed v15.2 and then worked my way back to v14.5 and as soon as that was installed everything worked fine - except for ICFTD :-( I wonder if I should try a fresh install of WB3.0 and see if that makes any difference.
Old 26 July 2003, 11:32   #4
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
Try version 16 from the older/beta versions section.
Old 26 July 2003, 19:34   #5
yadster

sussed it :-)

Tried version 16 but no luck so I thought sod it so I wiped my hard drive and tried a fresh install of everything. Now it all works like a dream. Time to register methinks on what is undoubtably a great piece of software that has certainly rekindled my love for the Amiga.

Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 27 July 2003, 07:56   #6
haynor666
retro maniac

That things sometimes happen. I remember Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. On 15.0 game works normally but on 15.2 game works but without preloading all images to RAM so I have to wait for 10 min and watch flashing screen. Suggestion - leave for example version 14.0 of WHDLoad and newest one. If You encontered some problems with new try older.
Old 29 July 2003, 17:08   #7
yadster

splashed out

I must admit that now I've got everything sorted I'm well happy with WHDLOAD and the possibilties it opens up. So many games now that I want to play including Plan 9, Mega Lo Mania, Cannon Fodder 2. Anyway I've sent off my moolah for the registered version/key, money well spent in my opinion. I think the last time I sent my money off to an Amiga author was Jeff Minter for Llamatron, or was it that disk magazine creator program. Any how, all money well spent.

Cheers WHDLOAD team and keep up the great work.
Old 29 July 2003, 17:12   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm extremely glad to see another person rekindle their love of the old miggy.

WHDload did the same for me. No disk swapping, shorter load times (even for walker) and a mammoth load of games to install!

I regged straight away and wouldn't go back.
Old 29 July 2003, 17:31   #9
yadster

I'm such an impatient sod now where as 15 years ago I would happily sit watching the coloured flashing lines on my telly for 5 minutes or so as my Speccy loaded up. How times have changed. When I hear youngsters nowadays moaning that it takes too long to load the latest PS2 XBOX epic I want to bat them round the head with an old 48K Speccy and make them load Combat School from tape or play Monkey Island 2 with one disk drive. They won't moan again that's for sure :-)
Old 30 July 2003, 14:31   #10
Bloodwych

Yes I'm registering WHDload today as well, via PayPAL. Can't believe I haven't already, but it was mainly due to only having the option of sending money through the post.

Don't expect the key to be left in the ClassicWB releases though peeps- these guys are doing a great job, support them!!!!!