English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 June 2003, 02:07   #1
Deadraque

Start Computer with Amiga OS?

Hi,

I guess it is not possible but you never know... Is there any way to make from a PC a kind of Amiga, like Amiga In A Box but without starting any WinUAE, I ask this as i have a spare computer and would love to make an amiga of it. starting with OS 3.9 or something... If possible please let me know what software could do this without Windowzzzz ofcoz

Thxxxx

We Don't Live. We Survive!

Old 19 June 2003, 02:57   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

There was a project that was being worked on about 2 years ago by AFAIR a couple of folks going by the names of Inner and Sane that was called "Amiga Windows Replacement Shell" that I think had the goal of using WinUAE as a replacement for the Windows interface. Most likely someone else here would know more details about that project than I do, but I believe that they decided that WinUAE was too buggy at that point to go any further with it. Whether or not the current WinUAE would better suit their purposes or not I don't know, and even if it did, they may not want to invest the time and effort in picking up the project again. It did sound like a rather nifty idea though when I first heard about it.
Old 19 June 2003, 03:15   #3
kafiend

You can boot directly into 3.9 using a combo of Amithlon and QNX.

However as Amithlon does not emulate custom chips AFAIK then game compatability would be poor.
Old 19 June 2003, 14:36   #4
Deadraque

Oki thx for the replies so i have a little idea, i thought so but wanted to be sure, well perhaps one day a miracle will happen

Anyway thx.

Old 19 June 2003, 18:57   #5
Sigfrodi

Send a message via MSN to Sigfrodi
Amithlon was a paying low-level emulator which could run without any OS (Win or Linux) installed.

You could use Amithlon without QNX. The one for using with QNX was another version.

However, the developement of Amithlon, as far as I know, is stopped for some months now. On his website, the maker of Amithlon complained about problems with Haas & Partner, which distributed the soft (I think).
Old 19 June 2003, 20:28   #6
Shaytan

Thumbs down

It is AmigaOS XL, a complete insallation of AmigaOS 3.9 (plus some other features) for QNX operative system...but like Amithlon it doesn't emulate AGA so compatibility is not 100%...and QNX is not so a great piece of sw in my opinion...
Old 20 June 2003, 23:58   #7
Deadraque

Oki doki thx again for the info, sure gone follow that evolution because this still interest me changing one of thos comps to an Amiga without having to bid on a A4000 or something At last not at this time...

Thx.

Old 24 July 2003, 19:39   #8
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
i thought about doing this back along! taking one of my spare pc's and installing amithlon as the native os!

would it take advantage of network cards? i dont care too much about the aga side of things.
Old 24 July 2003, 21:33   #9
Djay
95th User

you could put WinUAE.exe in Start-up, and you can get WinUAE to launch without its gui, some command line prompt is required to load a config... should all be in WinUAE help file
Old 24 July 2003, 21:47   #10
fisken uno
Zone Friend

For that sort of thing an amiga emu for dos would be better, like fellow or something... So you wouldn't need windows installed at all... But I don't quite believe the idea.

Amithlon, or AmigaOS XL, didn't impress me much either. Yes, games is out of the question. Further it didn't like my hardware very much. I don't think I got any sound output at all... But it's fast. And you can set it up on a hd, after having prepared it properly; You can't install it on a FAT or FAT32 drive... So I don't recommend it.

Would've been cool though if a modified version of WinUAE was released that didn't need windows but instead worked as a shell program from dos... Oh well. Buy an Amiga instead!
Old 26 July 2003, 22:28   #11
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Hey guys! I installed Amithlon on a HD but when it boots, it goes to a black screen with the Amiga ball logo jumping around...ermm ain't it supposed to load up further or did I miss something