English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 February 2020, 10:35   #1
White

winuae sfs/02 filesystem buffer

the sfs/02 filesystem buffer is set to 600 by default
does increasing the buffer also increase the performance of the filesystem?
does the "motheboard fast ram" option affect the filesystem buffer in any way?
Old 04 February 2020, 14:42   #2
Jope
-

600 is already quite a large buffer, you probably will not see much improvement by increasing it.

Unless you're emulating a cycle exact a500, I don't believe it makes much difference what type of RAM you add to the emulated system.
Old 04 February 2020, 15:14   #3
White

hi Jope,
Thanks for the reply,
I asked this question because in the guide of 4.1 a buffer of 5000 is recommended and I noticed that only by increasing the motheboard fast ram starting from a minimum of 16mb is it supported.
So it has no impact on speed?
Furthermore, I had already asked but had not received any reply
What is the motheboard fast ram used for?
Thank you.
Old 05 February 2020, 07:25   #4
Jope
-

5000 buffers requires more RAM, so you must have enough RAM to be able to add more buffers. If you wish to find out for real whether it has any speed benefit, please feel free to run a variety of benchmarks. I'm only guessing that it will not really be a noticeable difference in your day to day use. The emulation is so fast already. Since you're inside an emulator, you probably have RAM to spare, so there's not as much penalty to going wild with the buffer sizes as with a real machine, where you probably don't have multiple gigabytes of RAM to play with.

What is motherboard RAM used for? It is Fast RAM, so for storing instructions and data just like any other Fast RAM area.

Why does motherboard RAM exist in WinUAE? Because the A3000 and A4000 have motherboard RAM and WinUAE can be configured to emulate any existing Amiga model, along with a variety of imaginary Amiga configurations that would not be possible in real life.

Does the motherboard RAM affect the filesystem buffer in any way? Well if you have enough RAM, you can add more buffers. I am under the impression that it doesn't really matter WHERE you add the RAM, be it on the motherboard or an emulated accelerator board, as I believe WinUAE does not yet accurately emulate the speed differences between various 32bit RAM areas that would exist in a real Amiga.
Old 05 February 2020, 12:46   #5
White

Hi Jope,
thanks for the explanation, winuae has many options and a lot of hardware to emulate, your explanation is very complete and it helps me a lot.
so thanks again.
Personally I use 3.xx but I consider it complete even if there is always something to learn in fact I always ask :-)
For this reason alone I would make a statue to Toni for his work and his programming skills and the time he dedicates to winuae.

Why WinUae is Amiga for those who don't have the real hardware.

There are many software and many games to be run with WinUae but obviously you cannot try all of them from start to finish

Nicola Salmoria did a university thesis in his time on M.A.M.E
http://www.sabbasabba.it/documents/T...laSalmoria.pdf

The same could also be done on WinUae for the story that revolved around Commodore and the roads that took computer science.

In this case I speak of WinUae to emulate the 4.1FE
If it does not work it would be useless to ask questions related to this topic.
But it actually works, of course perhaps it is more "cumbersome" but then not much.
But it works
Officially we talked about the limits it has, but if you use it as an experiment and these experiments work, then I use it.
The last ppc fix with FM801 was an important update for me.

Toni is the programmer of WinUae and honestly when I ask for explanations, on some operations, I always have the hope that some improvements will be made on the 4.1 side.

On the other hand I use WinUae because it works.
Initially I just wanted to see 4.1 work, then later I wanted to see videos, then I wanted to surf the internet and it all worked.

I'm sorry to ask questions about 4.1 but I see that it works and the same E-UAE inside 4.1 also works but I can't try everything obviously. But I assure you it works.
It is very nice to join 4.1 to 3.xx via E-UAE to see the demos written in assembly and the games as you do with real PPC hardware.

My question about the 600 buffer file system is inherent to this, as well as the sfs / 02 file system itself.

If I leave the buffer at 600 after using Odyssey, E-UAE works.
If I raise the buffer to 5000 I need to use 16mb or higher motheboard fast ram.
This is when I use an .hdf
While if I use a real HardDisk I don't need this option.

Of course I always hope, as anyone who uses WinUae will always improve.
Not for the PPC side graphics card, I don't consider it very important.

But for these small fixes that maybe can improve the emulation experience.

I am convinced that some small fixes would improve the 4.1 experience even more

As I have always said, thanks to Toni I can still use Amiga and I can only appreciate his work.

And every now and then I try to ask if there is any solution on which Toni could perhaps, with his ability put a fix.

So thanks again when I get the answers related to 4.1

Simply everything here.