English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 22 September 2009, 19:37   #1
Eriond
Happy Registered User

Exclamation Are you an Eagle CAD user?

This goes out to all of you who use Eagle PCB from Cadsoft.
I have collected my custom parts related to the Amiga in a "Commodore" library. There are parts such as Zorro cards, Custom chips (also for clip-on/piggy-back use) and card edge connectors.
I guess there are others out there who have a similar collection of parts...

By consolidating our efforts into a common, free library we cold spend less time digging after old data sheets and manuals, and put our effort in completing our projects!

I'm happy to share my libs, hope you are too!

Regards,
Eriond

PS. I don't know where to put such a file. Are there any public file areas here?
Old 23 September 2009, 00:52   #2
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Why you don´t upload the file to the zone? So all of us will have access to them
Old 23 September 2009, 06:55   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriond View Post
PS. I don't know where to put such a file. Are there any public file areas here?
If you want it to last longer than 21 days, you can upload it to the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633). Just let me know once it's there and I move it (if you use the FTP upload)
Old 23 September 2009, 17:43   #4
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
IIRC, Zetr0 have some custom Eagle libraries, too.
Old 23 September 2009, 17:53   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You can now find Eriond's lib in the folder 'Apps/rare_apps/Eagle CAD' on the file server
Old 10 January 2011, 16:42   #6
billt

Any interest in uploading this library to a subversion or git repository? I'm not sure if Eagle libraries are stored as text or binary, but even if binary it gives a place to get it that multiple people can upload updates to, or am I wrong to suspect that the the zone here would have trouble with different people uploading replacements for this filename?

Anyone want to apply a license to this thing? I'm thinking of scraping footprints from Zetro's example layouts to add in if not there already, and I have a Megarray footprint (AmigaOne CPU module) that I have posted elsewhere as LGPL. I'd also like to add in Zorro slots, CPU slots, etc. when I have time and get my virtual Linux running again. (Moving to a bigger hard drive at the moment)

Discuss?
Old 04 February 2011, 20:18   #7
billt

Zetro sounded interested in such a repository idea wwhere we can all check out, add things, and check in. I've made a repository for a GPLv3 CAD library at sourceforge.
I haven't uploaded anything, but will upload my Megarray footprint sometime this weekend. (I'll leave that as LGPL on my own web page)

Anyone interested check it out in a few days and add your own items. I'm using git repository as I'd like more reason to learn git.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/amiga-pcbs/
Old 04 February 2011, 20:44   #8
pandy71

why not on cadsoft ftp srver with other lbr?

btw

seems that no one using KiCAD - any reason? (more free than Eagle for sure)
Old 06 February 2011, 02:08   #9
billt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
why not on cadsoft ftp srver with other lbr?

btw

seems that no one using KiCAD - any reason? (more free than Eagle for sure)
I prefer repository to ftp server due to easier checkout, edit, commit, merge, updates, etc. It'd be great if Cadsoft hosted a repository for libraries like that, I think it'd be better than ftp.

I bought Eagle before I learned about KiCad. I'd love to see KiCad ported to AmigaOS, part of my motivation for pushing the now zombified WxWidgets bounty for OS4. I've ot used it and don't know, but it seems about on par with Eagle features/capabilities, which I think are pretty good for this price range. I had looked into the Geda PCB tool and it wasn't up to the resolution I needed a the time if I remember.

Also, there's a number of other Eagle libraries out there. Not as much for big chips like making a motherboard, but I've worked out a way of converting Orcad footprints, but still have to redo schematic symbols by hand. Though KiCad might import Eagle libraries, don't remember now for sure.
Old 06 February 2011, 13:32   #10
pandy71

500 - 1000$ it is quite good price but when compared to KiCAD... I know that many people use cracked Eagle but this no good especially when free alternative exist.
Old 05 April 2011, 22:02   #11
billt

Well, it seems we're still needing to agree to a common license to combine footprints. I myself like LGPL but am willing to consider others. Zetro seems to prefer GPL3. Eriond seems to prefer a true public domain style, not having any particular licensure. I'd emailed George Braun a while ago asking about his A1000 motherboard stuff, but never got a reply from him.

Does this forbid combining existing work into a single library? If so, I'll start putting stuff that I have done myself into the repository as LGPL 2 or later, and redo things as I need to redo them and add those as I go. I'll point to these other libraries/projects from you guys, but unless license agreement can be made between us I guess that's the best we can do. Or does it mean that I can go GPL3 and Eriond's public domain library is compatible with GPL3, and that's all good?

Last edited by billt; 05 April 2011 at 22:09.