English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 July 2010, 21:48   #281
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeroAngelo View Post
Hey.

First off, I do not know where to get Xenomorphs 1&2 (full versions). Any aid in this would be most welcome.

Second...

I have absolutely no idea where to find Alastair Murray's e-mail or snailmail addresses. All my googling was for naught. Has anyone been successful in finding this person?

Look here to get access to the EAB File Server...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633

Once there you need to go to...

Games/PD (Full Versions) Folder - you will find Xenomorphs2 there.

I don't think that Xenomorphs 1 is available - but perhaps Heavy Stylus can confirm...

Remind me - Who is Alistair Murray and what game did he write...?
Old 29 July 2010, 21:49   #282
NeroAngelo

Kill 'em All, Hanger 18... many more I can't even commit to memory, shame...
Old 17 August 2010, 15:15   #283
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Great news today...

I have been in contact with Karl Randay - Graphic artist on the game "Dark Angel" See pictures attached and also this thread... http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53719 where Jimbo has been searching for it...

Karl has joined EAB - look out for posts by "pixelherder" !!

Karl seems confident that he could obtain a full version of Dark Angel for us, either from his own Amiga archive (a box in the garage!) or from the game coder Edward Burbidge - Karl is still in contact with Edward.

Dark Angel was a very polished looking Amiga Shareware game paying obvious respect to "Flashback". It would be great to see a full entry for it in the Hall of Light with a selection of screen shots that would really show off Karl's Graphics!

Fingers crossed that Karl can get the full game back for us... Thanks Karl for joining us here and taking the time to help us in our search

Karl has also joined the Facebook page "Scavenge Amiga" and I know he will be contacting alll his old Amiga chums to help me find that game as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Angel_1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	26193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Angel_2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	26194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Angel_3.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	26195  
Old 17 August 2010, 17:13   #284
Jimbo

Thanks to Karl and Peter fingers crossed we might have the full version of this gem
Old 17 August 2010, 19:13   #285
hitm4n

looks a cool game...
Old 25 August 2010, 12:16   #286
Muzza

I'm Alastair Murray, the author of Backbone and Turtleminator and a few others, although I wrote them over ten years ago when I was still at school!

It was quite strange to find those games being mentioned! I came across it whilst doing a search for the turtleminator (I've been thinking about doing a modern version for the iphone/ipad)

I don't have the source code for Backbone any more I'm afraid, but if anyone does want to email me, it's alastair dot murray1 at gmail dot com

Old 25 August 2010, 12:46   #287
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
I'm Alastair Murray, the author of Backbone and Turtleminator and a few others, although I wrote them over ten years ago when I was still at school!

It was quite strange to find those games being mentioned! I came across it whilst doing a search for the turtleminator (I've been thinking about doing a modern version for the iphone/ipad)

I don't have the source code for Backbone any more I'm afraid, but if anyone does want to email me, it's alastair dot murray1 at gmail dot com
Dude thanks for joining and your reply What a shame you dont have the source, Backbone actully gets mentioned quite alot you realy did a good job pushing AMOS did the routens contain any ASM or all was writen in Basic with AMOS?
Thanks Dude
Old 25 August 2010, 12:47   #288
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Hi Alastair - welcome to EAB - great to hear from you!

I guess we are lucky to have "Turtleminator" as so many Amiga PD and Shareware games are lost - thanks for this great little game!

What a shame that Backbone seems to be MIA as it were - fingers crossed we could locate a copy of it one day...

Do you have anything else of your Amiga "Stuff" still boxed up anywhere that you could salvage and share with us here... we would be interested in those "few others" you mention...!

Stick around and enjoy EAB - it's a great Amiga place...
Old 25 August 2010, 13:16   #289
hitm4n

"selfish mode on"

Anyone had any more luck with John Hardie and Platman yet?

"leaves selfish mode on for later"
Old 25 August 2010, 13:57   #290
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
"selfish mode on"

Anyone had any more luck with John Hardie and Platman yet?

"leaves selfish mode on for later"

See this post... http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=255

I don't think it is likely that we are ever going to see a full version of Platman, John has lost the full game disk. Although he has said that he would ask his friends if they had a copy... I'm not holding my breath.
Old 26 August 2010, 01:49   #291
hitm4n

Thx. Heres hoping. Its a cracking little game.
Old 26 August 2010, 11:01   #292
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Dude thanks for joining and your reply What a shame you dont have the source, Backbone actully gets mentioned quite alot you realy did a good job pushing AMOS did the routens contain any ASM or all was writen in Basic with AMOS?
Thanks Dude
It was all AMOS. There were a few extensions used as well.
I remember I had to work around a lot of AMOS limitations and do a few tricks here and there.
The whole Backbone project started because I was making so many games that were similar to each other (scrolling, shooting, jumping) that I thought I'd make a little tool to automatically create the foundations of a game, and then I'd fill in the unique bits. Then it evolved some more until I decided to release it.
I think it had a lot of bugs though!

Old 26 August 2010, 11:07   #293
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Hi Alastair - welcome to EAB - great to hear from you!

I guess we are lucky to have "Turtleminator" as so many Amiga PD and Shareware games are lost - thanks for this great little game!

What a shame that Backbone seems to be MIA as it were - fingers crossed we could locate a copy of it one day...

Do you have anything else of your Amiga "Stuff" still boxed up anywhere that you could salvage and share with us here... we would be interested in those "few others" you mention...!

Stick around and enjoy EAB - it's a great Amiga place...
I threw most of my AMIGA stuff out about 5 years ago. I didn't have the space! I wish I'd been able to keep hold of it.
Whatever I had left went in to storage in the UK when I moved to Australia a couple of years ago. I wouldn't imagine the floppies even work any more, but I kept a few for the memories! I quite long for the days when I could make a game in a few weeks for the AMIGA. Now-a-days I spend 3 years on them before they get released but I do Xbox360/PS3 stuff now.

Old 26 August 2010, 11:38   #294
Jimbo

Hey,

What have you done on the xbox 360? If you ever need a beta tester

Cheers
Old 02 September 2010, 11:08   #295
NeroAngelo

Muzza - can you perhaps try and scavenge Kill'em All somewhere? I'm looking for this since FOREVER?
Old 21 September 2010, 11:28   #296
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

any news for the xenomorphs 2 source code?
Old 21 September 2010, 13:11   #297
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raislin77it View Post
any news for the xenomorphs 2 source code?

@Heavy Stylus

Hi HS - was there any news on this?
Old 04 October 2010, 15:52   #298
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Ah no, there wasn't. Actually, IIRC, the coder said that he had a few more disks at his parents house, but I haven't heard from him for a loooong time now, so I assume there was no source code found.
Old 04 October 2010, 15:56   #299
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Ah, and I can confirm that the full version of Xenomorphs 1 is not available; X2 is basically the same game with AGA enhanced gfx and other improvements anyway.

In fact, I have a nagging suspicion that Xenomorphs 1 was actually the demo version of the full Xenomorphs 2. I will have to check my correspondence emails.
Old 04 October 2010, 18:16   #300
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Hi guys, you'll be pleased to learn that I have a full registered version of Beetle.

I loved the CU Amiga demo so much that I ordered the full version from the author.

I remember back in the day phoning the author up and having a really nice chat with him. He was explaining the tools he used to code the game up, as I was interested in coding for the Amiga.

Some 15 odd years on I've still yet to do ANY game coding for the Amiga *laughs*

Anyway, what's the best way for me to get this to you. I'm planning to get my Amiga networked up in the next month or so, so should (depending on how easy it is to get an expanded Amiga online) lha/dms the disk up and upload it. Failing that I could send a copy out via post.

Are we working in the same manner as World of Spectrum, whereby efforts are made to contact the original authors, and if we receive no reply we make the titles available until we hear otherwise?