English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 26 April 2010, 05:39   #1
Abaddon

How do I go about getting something added to TOSEC?

I've been getting back into playing Amiga games again since the release of UAE4ALL on the Dingoo and as I was going through my Amiga Archives and found I have quite a few cracks by Melnok that are not currently in the Amiga TOSEC.

Including:
Agony
Arena
Arkanoid
Barbarian II (Psygnosis)
Blood Money
Disposable Heroes
First Samurai
etc.

I would like to be able to get these uploaded somewhere and added to TOSEC.

All disks are still in DMS format, but I can convert them to adf.
Old 26 April 2010, 09:09   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Abaddon and welcome to EAB!

You should PM mai (http://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=10971) about it. For now you could upload the files to the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633), so that mai can grab them when he finds the time to have a look
Old 29 April 2010, 05:43   #3
Abaddon

Thanks for the info CyberDruid. I'm gathering and testing all the Melnok cracks I have (25+) and verifying that they are not in TOSEC.

Abaddon
Old 02 May 2010, 17:26   #4
Abaddon

If anyone is interested I uploaded 25 Melnok cracks to the ftp under the Abaddon directory
Old 02 May 2010, 17:52   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks Abaddon Moved them to the file server in the folder 'Games/rare_games/Melnok Cracks Not in TOSEC'
Old 02 May 2010, 21:38   #6
mai

...thanks too, i will add to Tosec as fast as i can.
Old 03 May 2010, 21:52   #7
demoniac

The Killing Gameshow +4 is one of the more interesting Melnok releases as they seemed to have removed the water rising protection properly.
Old 03 May 2010, 22:27   #8
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

@mai
Have a look here as well.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=665620&postcount=44
Old 03 May 2010, 22:55   #9
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Thanks, i have already downloaded.
Old 04 May 2010, 05:20   #10
brett71

Thumbs up Wow...blast from the past

Wow....has it been a long time since I thought of the name Melnok...and I only thought of it because I just saw some guy in WoW named "Melnik"...

Hehehehe....I'm glad to hear you guys are digging his cracks. I wasn't sure if they got widespread. You see, I was the guy who bought the originals for Melnok to crack. (Back then, and most places even now, I went by the handle "beholder", and I'm the beholder he mentions in his intro.)

I know you guys are probably thinking that I'm some sort of nut, suddenly appearing and saying I knew Melnok, but I really did. The whole reason his cracks exist is because the major cracking groups at the time were in such a hurry to get the releases out that about half their stuff didn't even work right on my fairly stock A500. I don't recall exactly how I got a hold of Melnok the first time back then (e-mail wasn't real common yet), but we worked out a deal that I'd buy the originals for games whose cracks were flaky or total fail, and he'd re-do it. I playtested for him and if I found any other protection, I'd let him know. I talked to him on the phone quite a bit during that time. I'd mail him 5-6 sets of original disks and he'd send me back his cracks and then the originals later on. Unfortunately, around 1994 or so, he started getting more interested in the PC, didn't do as much cracking for the Amiga since it was a dying platform, and the cracks kinda stopped. (The last batch of originals I sent him never made it back to me either. Not sure what was up with that.)

If you want some details about the guy, all I will tell you is that he lived in Canada and his last name is Kuzminski. When all this was going on, I was a student at Iowa State and also at University of Iowa, and one of the reasons why a lot of his cracks were Psygnosis games was because I was a huge Psygnosis fan, and those were also the games that seemed to give the big cracking groups the hardest times because of the copy protection.

One of my friends has a CD that I burned like, 15 years ago that is completely full of games that I personally playtested to make sure they worked. Unfortunately, he's got it buried in some box someplace at his house and has never been able to dig it out for me. If I can get him to look for it, you guys want a copy? You've probably got everything already, but at least you'll know you've got working copies.

Sometimes I really miss the old Amiga days...

Brett
(a.k.a. Beholder)

Abbadon........why does that handle sound so familiar???
Old 04 May 2010, 13:00   #11
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Hey brett71, welcome to EAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
If I can get him to look for it, you guys want a copy?
Absolutely.
Old 04 May 2010, 13:08   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If we want a copy? Hell yeah!
Cheers brett71
Old 04 May 2010, 19:27   #13
demoniac

brett71, did Melnok ever do Awesome?
Old 04 May 2010, 20:24   #14
brett71

Wink

Retroplay: Thanks!

I'll bug my friend this week and see if I can "motivate" him to find that CD. I also made HD install scripts for as many of the games as I could that had standard AmigaDOS-format discs, not the custom formats that Psygnosis and so many other companies employed.

demoniac: Don't remember if Melnok re-did Awesome or not. I'd have to check that CD.

In the last batch of originals I sent him, I remember sending him a copy of Lure of the Temptress. The problem with the crack circulating at the time was that you would get about 4/5th's through the game and then hit a brick wall because in a point & click adventure, you have to have something to point & click. Well, apparently there is a very late protection check in the game because you eventually get to a point where there's nothing to point & click anymore, but the walkthrough still has several paragraphs of instructions to go. A pity that that was in the batch that were lost.
Old 05 May 2010, 03:49   #15
Abaddon

Hey Beholder!

I was thinking of you when I was going through the Melnok cracks last week. I used to hang out on #amigawarez on the undernet. I supplied you with a lot of games that eventually ended up on your CD. You even sent me a copy of the CD, which is where I got the Melnok cracks from

In my early Amiga years I went through game code to find the programmer cheats for games and created the cheat list "Sweet Cheater". Later I started looking at cracking and hard drive installing games and then I met JOTD who created JST (hard drive install program similar to WHDLoad) started using it to do installs. After he discontinued it we both moved on to WHDLoad. I think the last install I did was around 2002.

I checked the CD and it does not contain a Melnok crack for Lure of the Temptress or Awesome. I'm pretty sure I uploaded all Melnok cracks that were on the CD. Unless Beholder added more cracks to another pressing I'd have to say that's it for the Melnok cracks. However, I am still going through the CD.

If anyone is interested I can upload the entire CD to the FTP. That is if there is room. I also have a number of other CD's (tuna #1-4, Abaddon Games #1-5, Several utilities cds, Netcop archive, 3 CD swedish set, DLH archive, etc).

Abaddon

Last edited by Abaddon; 05 May 2010 at 04:00.
Old 05 May 2010, 09:11   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
If anyone is interested I can upload the entire CD to the FTP. That is if there is room. I also have a number of other CD's (tuna #1-4, Abaddon Games #1-5, Several utilities cds, Netcop archive, 3 CD swedish set, DLH archive, etc).
There is space and we would surely appreciate the upload Thanks in advance Abaddon Just let me know once you've finished the upload.
Old 05 May 2010, 20:02   #17
demoniac

Thanks, brett71 and Abaddon for the reply on Awesome.

As for Lure of the Temptress, I believe that I passed the game on whatever crack was floating around back then. Perhaps a fix was later released, but I can't remember as it has been half a lifetime and I ended up not keeping it as it took too many disks.
Old 05 May 2010, 22:02   #18
brett71

Abaddon, I'd made a copy of that CD for you?? Really??? I didn't remember doing that, I thought I only made the one. I would love to get a copy back of that, in case my friend is too busy to dig out the copy I gave him.

The only Melnok cracks made were the ones on the CD. The last batch of originals I sent, he never completed cracks for because he started losing interest in the Amiga at the time.

How can one get access to the FTP?
Old 05 May 2010, 22:50   #19
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
How can one get access to the FTP?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633

Old 06 May 2010, 09:10   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hey, that's my link Thanks Retroplay