English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 March 2014, 19:25   #1
chocolate_boy

Pagestream 4 PDF?

I can't open PDF files in Pagestream 4 (from the zone) just get error File Format Not Recognized. I can export to PDF ok but not read the files, I thought PS4 was supposed to read/edit PDF files?
Old 10 March 2014, 19:56   #2
emufan

i've tested version 4 R8 (comes with more filters and addons) and R9 - both only export to pdf.
edit: old grasshopperllc.com website has featurelist of pagestream 4 - "export pdf"

@admins: we need more differnt smilies, life has more than 32 facets

Last edited by emufan; 10 March 2014 at 20:01.
Old 10 March 2014, 22:53   #3
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
i've tested version 4 R8 (comes with more filters and addons) and R9 - both only export to pdf.
edit: old grasshopperllc.com website has featurelist of pagestream 4 - "export pdf"

@admins: we need more differnt smilies, life has more than 32 facets
Oh, so there's no way to open PDF then? I keep reading it can "edit PDF with ease".

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...23ba#p25509855

Quote:
and PageStream (a DTP program that allows easy editing of PDF files, something that's still somewhat clunky on Macs and PCs today)
I just want a way to print PDF from my A1200 really.
Old 10 March 2014, 23:06   #4
source
Zone Friend

There is a pdf filter loader to import, but I never really tried it. I think you have to register at the pagestream website and download it from there. If you are wanting to print pdfs from your A1200 try downloading Apdf from aminet. The newer pdfs report errors on loading, but you should still be able to get the majority of the documents to print. I believe that ghostscript can also print pdfs (I may be wrong though), but with it it is command line only from what I understand.
Hope this helps.
Old 10 March 2014, 23:47   #5
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
There is a pdf filter loader to import, but I never really tried it. I think you have to register at the pagestream website and download it from there.
just found it: PDF Document Import Filter - registered user can download. i didn't knew it exists
other downloads at pagestream.net (registered user as above) .
ghostscript can deal with pfs - but not editing - (you can convert to postscript ), command line, but there are also GUIs for it, gsview on linuxboxes/win32 , but also to be found on aminet:
A GUI for Ghostscript V5.10
GUI for Ghostscript8 in MUI
Ghostscript 8.60 on aminet.

if you test one of them, report back

edit: pagestream 4r8 has some import filter, EPS and RTF.
you can try converting your pdf to rtf ( is able to deal with graphics in documents? ) - and try the rtf import filter
online converter pdf to rtf - just an example, not tested, maybe others are better.

edit: the rtf import does work - just create new document, add enough pages with textframes
("Layout - Create Text frame" and link them) - then "File - Insert Text "
since the description of the pdf filtere states "not perfect" - so it isn't that bad, going the rtf way

edit again: the rtf filter seems to have it's limits. text/fonts seems ok, but tables and graphics elements (lines) - do not appear.
but they are visible and editable if viewing the rtf document with word - hmmm almost

Last edited by emufan; 11 March 2014 at 00:43.
Old 11 March 2014, 00:41   #6
chocolate_boy

Ah I'm not a registered user, I downloaded it from the zone here on EAB.

I have got apdf, but it doesn't seem to print, just wants to save to a postscript file, not really sure how to print it when it's saved. Tried just sending it to PDF but no joy, I use Turboprint 7 too but can't see a way to send it to my Canon BJ30 from there.

I can give Ghostscript a whirl though, not even sure if my printer is a Postscript compatible printer though, it's just an old bubblejet.
Old 11 March 2014, 00:49   #7
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy View Post
Ah I'm not a registered user, I downloaded it from the zone here on EAB.
these versions i also tested from fileserver.
test the rtf way, textonly documents may work for you

Quote:
I have got apdf, but it doesn't seem to print, just wants to save to a postscript file, not really sure how to print it when it's saved. Tried just sending it to PDF but no joy, I use Turboprint 7 too but can't see a way to send it to my Canon BJ30 from there.

I can give Ghostscript a whirl though, not even sure if my printer is a Postscript compatible printer though, it's just an old bubblejet.
Ghostscript comes with such filters for non-postscript printers, IIRC.
so this should work, try such generic printer modells, if your's does not appear in the lists (?!)
edit:
ghostscript 5.1 driver list - many BubbleJet models listed.

edit: about the driver for Turboprint: not really sure, but canon onces listed a driver for some bubblejet models.
the file is not there anymore. CAN31B.LZH ( bubblejet) CA310B.LZH (laserjet).

another old website has some Canon BJ/BJC driver version 3.98 - maybe demo only.

Last edited by emufan; 11 March 2014 at 01:16.
Old 12 March 2014, 01:28   #8
source
Zone Friend

Try using turboprint 7.6 then install the bubblejet cannon bj driver or one of the other bj 10 or 20 driver. Even though the printer may not be listed, does not mean that the printer won't work. You just have to try printing a few test pages with a few of the different bubblejet printer drivers available for Turboprint. I currently have a HP multifunction hooked up to my amiga using a photosmart 7500 printer driver. It works.