English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 18 January 2005, 23:10   #1
RCK
Administrator

[EAB] Unregistered users are no more allowed

I let this other thread running to see what could happened and how far some people could steps out.
Now I will take some decisions, as it seems that the basics need to be explained.

over EAB:
- Unregistered users won't be able to post anymore, it will prevent recent bot attack.
- "how to find games" has been added before the "Do you want to register" page.
- FAQ have been created in EAB3 to let new users know basics without posting.
- Moderators primary goal is not to help newbies, but to maintain EAB's rules.
- Everyone can tell newbies to go read the FAQ if they think the answer is there. (like akira)
- Everyone can make the research for newbies and answer them with precise answer. (like cody)
- To resume, Members are free to reply at newbies with one of these two options, if they decide to reply.
- Newbies should not be threated as lamers, everyone should help them or redirect them to FAQ *politely*

over Members: (you should not fight in public)
- Akira & Cody got a warning.
- Peanutuk got a warning.
- Bippym got ban for 2 days.
- Dastardly got ban for 1 week.
- Jim got ban for 1 week.

more fact:
- Akira was acid with newbie last year, this period is now finished, ParallaxScroll & Kodoichi are the best at this little game.
- Every new user receive one direct link to the FAQ in their welcome mail since EAB3 was launched.
- If anybody wants to break current EAB hierarchy or do something like annual moderator election, just create your own chaos board or ask current moderators team for joining (if you really want to help).
Old 18 January 2005, 23:45   #2
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK
ParallaxScroll & Kodoichi are the best at this little game.
I better take it as a compliment. Thanks.

Old 19 January 2005, 00:19   #3
RCK
Administrator

Old 19 January 2005, 00:41   #4
MSC
Zone Friend

Seems fair.

I was always suprised that un-registered posting was allowed. When i first joined, i thought i would get a more positive response if i registered first, before posting my question, and so it was proved.
Old 19 January 2005, 01:13   #5
Runey
Survivor

RCK is both wise and fair

This should make EAB both an informative and now pleasant place to visit
Old 19 January 2005, 01:19   #6
fisken uno
Zone Friend

RCK r0x0rz my b0x0rz ;D

Now am I the only one being sick + tired of the drama? Let's throw a big party, drink lots of beer and make out with each others, eh?
Old 19 January 2005, 01:31   #7
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Make out with each others ... what .. partners !?!?

wo0t! .. Welcome to EAB swingers club
Old 19 January 2005, 01:34   #8
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_0rga5m
Welcome to EAB swingers club
Oh yes I can feel the LUV of eab
Old 19 January 2005, 06:02   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK
- Everyone can tell newbies to go read the FAQ if they think the answer is there. (like akira)
"Thinking" is such a thing...
Newbies might be more right than you all think...eg the (super-)moderator SHOULD have up-to-date TOSEC knowledge (!!) to know what may be requested and what not.
I was mostly right when Akira unjustifiedly closed a thread because some new user requested something "allegedly very common".
In fact, this new user had included a certain word in his post that did NOT make it obvious to find the ADF. ( = It was actually a rare version he was looking for, which I could prove as I could check for it appearing in the latest dats, and it wasn't there)

Quote:
over Members: (you should not fight in public)
- Akira & Cody got a warning.
Neutral. Can't comment.
Quote:
- Bippym got ban for 2 days.
NOT justified in my eyes!
To gain the rudeness Jim has showed in the last days, Bippy will have to make up for at least a year!
Anyway, please show me where Bippy was that rude and/or unjust that this justifies a 2-day ban.
Quote:
- Dastardly got ban for 1 week.
Neutral. Can't comment.
Quote:
- Jim got ban for 1 week.
Justified! For his rudeness lately.
Old 19 January 2005, 06:08   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Hahahahahhaha Bippy got banned
Old 19 January 2005, 06:30   #11
woody57

Smile Thankyou for your Admin RCK

This board exhists because you choose to maintain it , thankfully the majority of active members try to stay within the basic rules essential for the smooth running of each forum.

Sometimes we do get phases of being out of order { and I definitley include myself in that }

And its good to know that we have an active admin that makes firm decisions as it ensures that those that stay appreciate the real freedoms they have here as members

cheers RCK
Old 19 January 2005, 08:54   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

By the way RCK, this proves I should be a mod again (for the third time)
Old 19 January 2005, 11:32   #13
RCK
Administrator

Update:
- Dastardly got his ban decreased to 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Newbies might be more right than you all think...eg the (super-)moderator SHOULD have up-to-date TOSEC knowledge (!!) to know what may be requested and what not.
I was mostly right when Akira unjustifiedly closed a thread because some new user requested something "allegedly very common".
You know, we are all human and can make mistakes.
I won't blame akira to sometimes redirect newbies to faq when he should not, he's one of the most active people to reply them.
Old 19 January 2005, 13:55   #14
spiff
Oh noes!

Looks like I’m late to the party once more…

I would love the option to not see threads started by ppl on my ignore list.
Or the advance version, any thread where more then 3 persons on the ignore list post is removed from my view.

Ok.. its probably not realistic with the added database requests needed, still it would be nice in some future version.
Old 19 January 2005, 18:55   #15
Marcuz

i'm cool with this, it seems fair.
Old 19 January 2005, 19:59   #16
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
Looks like I’m late to the party once more…

I would love the option to not see threads started by ppl on my ignore list.
Or the advance version, any thread where more then 3 persons on the ignore list post is removed from my view.
Personally, I don't have anyone on my ignore list so this wouldn't have any effect on me, but I'm not sure how good an idea it is. If I had 3 or more people on my ignore list and they really wanted to cause me headaches, they'd just make sure to post to any threads that I might find of interest, and it would get a lot quieter on the board than I'd like all of a sudden. I suppose you could filter out any posts within threads based on the ignore list, but you'd probably still see parts of some of their posts when anyone quoted them, and it would probably impact performance as well. Of course you could simply skip reading posts by people you really don't want to hear from on your own. If they suddenly turn over a new leaf and become likeable though, you'll never know.
Old 19 January 2005, 20:55   #17
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Personally, I don't have anyone on my ignore list so this wouldn't have any effect on me, but I'm not sure how good an idea it is. If I had 3 or more people on my ignore list and they really wanted to cause me headaches, they'd just make sure to post to any threads that I might find of interest, and it would get a lot quieter on the board than I'd like all of a sudden. I suppose you could filter out any posts within threads based on the ignore list, but you'd probably still see parts of some of their posts when anyone quoted them, and it would probably impact performance as well. Of course you could simply skip reading posts by people you really don't want to hear from on your own. If they suddenly turn over a new leaf and become likeable though, you'll never know.
He didnt read that Chuckles, he has you on ignore. Wait a minute he has me on ignore too.

@RCK Good call with the registered users only plan, this should force them to search the forum before they join (less effort involved).
Old 19 January 2005, 21:27   #18
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
the (super-)moderator SHOULD have up-to-date TOSEC knowledge (!!) to know what may be requested and what not.
No, I do not need to have that knowledge. Do I also need to know how to fix an A1200 with a buggy 1D4 mobo? Do I also need to know where every damn r0mz0r is located in the net? Do I need to know Cloanto's price list for kickstart roms? You are stretching it. The example you mention (which you do not directly link, so I'm trying to guess which one it is. I guess the Faery Tale one)was a case of me getting confused. OH THE HORROR! I MADE A MISTAKE! If I was so tight arsed and wouldn't admit errors, I would have never reopened the damn thread.

The next time you make a mistake, don't be surprised, because I'll be all over it like a predator stalking its prey, just like you.

Anyway, ever since your constant squabbling I have stopped bothering with closure or paying much attention to threads where game titles which seem to be common are being requested. So if someone asks for Lemmings "nepal crack version" i won't even notice, for I won't click in that thread and let it rot and clutter the board, thanks to the tightness of a certain ammount of members of the board. It's RCK's server anyway, right? we need to save all that shit.

Hope it makes you hapy. ta ta!
Old 19 January 2005, 21:35   #19
kriz

Good work RCK!

Now lets all have a good time, we are big family here @ eab..
Old 19 January 2005, 21:48   #20
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Oh boy.
You always sound so incredibly pissed-off all the time.
And your answers bristle with huffyness, aggressiveness, hectic and raving madness!
Take it EASY, man!
I talked sooooo calmly in this thread, without any intention to start another riot or to offend anyone. Yes, ESPECIALLY FOR YOU and your tender nerves! And yes, I only talked about your thread-closure, not your person!

Quote:
Anyway, ever since your constant squabbling I have stopped bothering with closure
My constant squabbling. Another ambush on my person.
But this "squabbling" seems to have had a positive effect: l forced you stubborn soul to rethink your behavior; to revise your attitude!
Now, that IS a success! ( Beer anyone? )

But criticism does really seem your achilles heel as it looks. (not only regarding me, anyhow)
Always huffy to death, always the prima donna.

Your nerves don't seem to be made of fiber glass at least, but rather sandwich paper or cellophane. I shouldn't DARE criticize you any further at best, as I might vaporize more of the cellophane and thus getting you closer and closer to an always-hectic, never easy nervous wreck.
(Or maybe you are already one??!)

Last edited by andreas; 19 January 2005 at 21:56.