English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 March 2014, 14:33   #1
mark_k

TVPaint 3.0

Over in this thread Harry O posted about TVPaint 3.0 and uploaded images of his original disks to The Zone. TVPaint needs a dongle but I have uploaded an archive with patched executables to The Zone. Replace the original executable with the patched one after installing.

Anyway. There are three executables, for Picasso, EGS and Retina RTG systems. I think Picasso96 is supposed to support applications written for the original Picasso RTG system so in theory the Picasso version could/should work with WinUAE/uaegfx.

But I tried that and TVPaint opens an RTG screen but the screen is all black and mouse pointer doesn't move. The system hasn't locked up; you can leftAmiga-M to bring Workbench to the front.

Then I tried using an emulated Piccolo card with EGS. With that, TVPaint opens an all-black screen but the mouse pointer does move.

Can anyone get TVPaint 3.0 to work in WinUAE?
Old 02 March 2014, 15:33   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It keeps doing accesses to joystick button CIA register and POTGO bits. Uses dff006 reads for delays.

Looks like dongle tests.
Old 02 March 2014, 15:34   #3
mark_k

Is that with the patched executable or the original one? If it's the patched one, guess I need to look at it some more...
Old 02 March 2014, 15:36   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is "no dongle" package from the zone.

Just enter debugger when it hangs and you will see the code immediately.
Old 02 March 2014, 17:29   #5
mark_k

Doh! I missed another couple of dongle-related routines and several routines which test the "did the dongle check pass" variable and corrupt parts of the TVPaint code if not.

I've uploaded another patched Picasso version to The Zone. I branch over the calls to the two other dongle routines and just set the variable to 1 to satisfy all the checks. That version isn't guaranteed to run perfectly either. I still need to figure out what the other two dongle routines do. It seems the TVPaint dongle is a bit more complex than some of the simple ones like Leaderboard.

That seems to work for me with uaegfx. Interestingly, there is no corruption visible on the display; compare with TVPaint 3.5.9.

Edit: My second try still isn't complete, definitely not perfect yet... sigh.

Last edited by mark_k; 02 March 2014 at 17:35.