English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 August 2010, 18:18   #1
paul2010

Copying OS floppy

Sorry if this is a silly question but my original Workbench 1.3 floppy failed on me a couple of weeks ago and I've just found a working copy of it amongst my other floppies.

Can I copy the working disc (i.e. copy of Workbench) back onto the original disc or is this not allowed, as it'd show up as 'Copy of Workbench' on the desktop?

I just thought this would be easier than finding a blank disc and a label for it and would be convenient if someone bought the disc off me.
Old 02 August 2010, 18:27   #2
thomas

You bought the disk, you may do whatever you want with it.

You only may not give the copy to somebody else and keep the original. Or give the original away and keep the copy.

If you worry about the "copy of", just click once on it and select "rename" from the menu, then remove the two words.
Old 02 August 2010, 18:27   #3
deicidal
Registered Insane

Will work fine but you may find your original disk may just be buggered so it won't matter how many times you copy to it, it still won't work.
Old 02 August 2010, 19:07   #4
paul2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
Will work fine but you may find your original disk may just be buggered so it won't matter how many times you copy to it, it still won't work.
I didn't think about that.

Strangely, when I insert the faulty original when in Workbench, it loads up icons every time I click 'Cancel' to the 'disk read error' message.

It looks like the repair programme salvaged some of the disc.
Old 04 August 2010, 08:23   #5
Hewitson

Disk read error means the disk is physically damaged.

Throw it in the bin and write your copy to a good one. If you doubt what I'm saying, try to format the disk. It will not be able to format successfully.
Old 04 August 2010, 20:41   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If you worry about the "copy of", just click once on it and select "rename" from the menu, then remove the two words.
It's better to use a disk sector editor to make this change. Simply renaming it will leave evidence on the disk that the previous filename was longer than the new one.

TrackEd V1.24 is the tool I use for this. All evidence of the previous volume name can be removed, the sector checksum can be recalculated after the change and the updated sector written back to he disk.