English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 December 2011, 05:28   #1
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Arrow How to open a Workbench in high res [SOLVED], now Picasso96 Problem

I am trying to configure LouiSe's GCC Environment - I have it running but the screen resolution is too low to access all of the tools. I am getting the best results so far with:

Model 3000
ROM 3.1

If anyone knows how I can get the res up higher (max hopefully)

I have bad luck trying to run Modle 4xxx / Rom 3.X - where it starts in high res but the GCC environment crashes.

EDIT: Well - I just amped up all the memory slots to their relative maximums and lo and behold - the Workbench loaded in high res! Is this really the way it is supposed to work??

THANKING YOU!

Last edited by Morbane; 30 December 2011 at 00:13.
Old 29 December 2011, 13:15   #2
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Picasso96 Problem (I think)

There is this problem - a Graphics function thingy popped up:

Then when I said ok this popped up:

Anyone know how I can oblige this kind message?? - because I have no idea....

The C Compiler Environment this stems from functions fine - I would just like to get rid of the error messages.

Is it likely that I merely need to copy paste the upgrade file into the correct location (wherever that may be)??
Old 29 December 2011, 14:36   #3
ancalimon
Supernormal

Install Amikit. It looks great, functions great and comes with the latest version of WinUAE.
Old 29 December 2011, 14:46   #4
thomas

First image: delete Devs:Picasso96Settings

Second image: copy rtg.library from WinUAE's Amiga Programs directory to Libs:Picasso96
Old 30 December 2011, 00:12   #5
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
First image: delete Devs:Picasso96Settings

Second image: copy rtg.library from WinUAE's Amiga Programs directory to Libs:Picasso96
Ok ... where do I find the Dev:Picasso96Settings - the HDF is not exactly accessable outside of itself when actually running - I looked inside the running program and there is a Picasso96 icon but there is not anything that allows a delete setting - rather there is a way to enable/disable either of 2 settings - now one of them has the DisplayID 50001000 but messing with the 4 variations of active/inactive I found that it makes no difference - the message pops up anyway

I am having trouble finding the Amiga Programs directory through WinUAE - I'll keep knocking on it

EDIT: Well - I found the respective directories - at least I think they are the correct ones - still no luck. I am beginning to believe that there is a really simple solution - I just have to find it....

Last edited by Morbane; 30 December 2011 at 07:52.
Old 31 December 2011, 01:57   #6
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Install Amikit. It looks great, functions great and comes with the latest version of WinUAE.
I have AmiKit inside AmigaForever - but how will that help me? AF also comes with the latest WinUAE.
Old 31 December 2011, 02:52   #7
kriz

When you have installed Amikit you will have large resolutions and all the tools ready configured.. Just released a new verison of Amikit aswell, would download that first..
Old 31 December 2011, 07:57   #8
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

To be honest - I have the resolution thing figured out and I did post that fact. My current dilemma is listed in post #2. I wanted to make a new post but the moderator moved it back here...

Thanks anyway kriz

Last edited by Morbane; 31 December 2011 at 08:07.
Old 31 December 2011, 11:33   #9
thomas

I wonder how you can dare to start writing programs for AmigaOS if you don't even know how it is organised. Don't you think it would be best to study the Workbench and/or AmigaDOS manuals first? They tell you where which file goes in AmigaOS and what an assign is.

When you boot up the GCC HDF, there is a big fat DOS window in the middle of the screen. Just enter this command into it:

Code:
delete devs:picasso96settings
Didn't I tell you this already?

The second issue is a bit more complicated. You first need to find the Amiga Programs directory on your Windows drive. I don't have Amiga Forever installed, so I cannot tell you where it is. Lets assume that it is in C:\Program Files\Clonato\Amiga Forever\Emulation\WinUAE\Amiga Programs.

Secondly you need to make sure that your emulated Amiga environment has access to this directory. If you find a drive named WinHD_C on your Amiga Workbench, then you are done, because this represents your Windows C drive. Otherwise you need to add it to WinUAE's harddrives list.

If both is done, the command you need to enter is

Code:
copy "WinHD_C:Program Files/Cloanto/Amiga Forever/Emulation/WinUAE/Amiga Programs/rtg.library" libs:picasso96
If you want to be a programmer, you should become more flexible with tasks like these.
Old 31 December 2011, 11:56   #10
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Thanks thomas

no reason to get angry - i dare because there is this convenient forum to ask more advance users what is up - yea - people like you - so if you try to answer someone's question dont feel like your wasting your time because most new users think they can just jump right in - yes - like me - im not scared to try or ask questions how else to learn?? besides looking through volumes of dos information would have taken days and you were able to give a heads up in just a few hours. so - thanks again - i appreciate it - really.
Old 31 December 2011, 16:17   #11
thomas

I am not angry, I am just wondering.

What I see is that you use a pre-installed WinUAE environment with a pre-installed AmigaOS system and another pre-installed AmigaOS system with a pre-installed development environment.

Now you have everything you need but you know nothing about it. How do you want to learn if you take everything ready-made?

Don't you think you should first become a user of the system before you start to write programs for it? What quality of software are you going to distribute if you don't even know where to copy the ready program to on your harddrive? Or how to run it outside the development environment?

And yes, it takes days if not weeks or even months to read all the available documentation. But that's a requirement. I needed about 20 years to learn all I know today. And I *did* read these books.
Old 01 January 2012, 00:18   #12
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Yes it has been 20 years for me - but from that time things changed real fast - I had my own business to worry about and things like that - now I am more settled - I had all the books, that since have been lost to the roils of life - I had the system - also lost to tough times. Now I am starting to get back into it - but I do not want to have 4 computers - just 1 really nice one that can run multiple environments. SO here I am, trying to fill up lost spaces. Can you blame me - really??

As far as the quality of my programming projects...? I dont plan on making any big sells, I just want to do it. I learned C++ through 2 semesters before I moved - was a good start into programming, I like to think I can just jump right in and morph into writing in C for the Amiga - I know the basics and reference sites have all the answers for syntax. I am just trying to learn about this whole emulation thing. I have had an UBUNTU emulator for the C++ stuff but that was not exactly a smooth ride - not compared to all this nice Amiga stuff - it all runs so well compared to that.

I will be back to ask more questions, I just hope the ones that answer are not jaded by time and instead are just living a memory like myself. Happy New Year

Last edited by Morbane; 01 January 2012 at 00:31.
Old 01 January 2012, 00:36   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbane View Post
To be honest - I have the resolution thing figured out and I did post that fact. My current dilemma is listed in post #2. I wanted to make a new post but the moderator moved it back here...
I've edited the thread's title to make that clear. Is that better?

The threads wouldn't have appeared to be so suitable for merging if you hadn't replicated parts of the original screenshot in the second thread. I can separate the threads again if you wish, but you'll have to reinstate the screenshot and the threads will need tidying up afterwards.
Old 01 January 2012, 00:45   #14
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Prowler - nah its all good - the changed title says enough i think. besides, thomas was willing to lend a hand even before the change in the title - i guess more will see it as well - he did offer a complete solution -
I just cant find the emulated link to my PC HD - if I could find that - it would be all good - as thomas' first suggestion for deleting ->delete devs: picasso96settings worked perfectly - only one more message to go and like i said all i need to do is find that link to my PC from the emulated Amiga GCC environment. whew!
Old 01 January 2012, 02:35   #15
thomas

I don't know how it works with this Player thing but I think you can still press F12 to open the underlying WinUAE configuration. If so, then go to the Hard drives page, click on Add directory or archive and Select directory. Navigate to C:\ and click on Select folder, then enter WinHD_C as volume name and click on Ok and then on Reset. After AmigaOS has booted again, you should be able to access your Windows drive from within WinUAE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinHD_C.png
Views:	294
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	30243  
Old 01 January 2012, 04:18   #16
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Your patients deserves kudos

I accessed Windows as DH1 without a whimper and DirOpus is serving as the mediator from DH1 do DH0 (Amiga). DirOpus copied and moved the new file and the message no longer pops up!

Very excellent and awesome!

On another board, believe it or not, I am the one passing out advice - but that board deals with scripting for NWN2 - in case you have heard of it - I am Morbane there as well. When someone gets to their solution I always say that "finding a solution is almost as fun as the actual creation of something original".

Thanks thomas - for a solution and the added fun as it were

After rebooting, just to be sure - and the message does not show up - I opened DirOpus to try and access DH1 again and it is no longer there? How do I make that drive permanent? - in case I need it again. I can just follow your steps again but I am hoping there is indeed a way to save the DH1.

Last edited by Morbane; 01 January 2012 at 04:31.
Old 01 January 2012, 10:17   #17
thomas

In WinUAE standalone you'd go to the Configurations page and save the config you previously loaded. But as you are using the Amiga Forever Player I cannot tell you which config is used and whether you destroy something if you overwrite it with the changed one. In WinUAE you can also set the "add PC drives at startup" switch, but this has to be set before WinUAE is started to be effective. Setting it in the F12 menu only has an effect on the next start if you save the config.
Old 01 January 2012, 11:17   #18
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

For a moment I thought it was working - it gave me the WinHD_C HD icon but the environment was frozen - no worries I have done it enough times already that going through the motions to get to Win C:\ is really no problem.

Thanks again thomas for your input.

EDIT: I got it - your mention of this being a Amiga Forever issue, I tried it by their terms and added a Directory that is Absolute and linked to windows C:\ and it automatically named it WinHD_C for me. That said and now I have a stable link to windows that I can use at any time without having to re-attach WinHD_C for each use. Hey! I figured it out (with a little help)

So again thanks thomas!
Old 02 January 2012, 12:53   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thomas is indeed a great knowledgeable guy and me personally I read most of his post as I usually learn something new or at the very least refresh my memory as how things work

Now if I was you morbane I would ditch Amiga Forever and use Winuae neat but still use the amiga system files that came with Amiga Forever, this will give you much better control over what is going on.

My next tip is to get total comander and the amiga plugin for it, plus a few others, this will then let you edit dms,adfs and HDFs which is great for copying and archiveing/unarchiveing without haveing to start up the emulator, indeed its a great file manager \o/

ribbits for now
Old 05 January 2012, 10:20   #20
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Cos - about total commander, what sort of application is it - is it a front end type thing or more of a WB tool? I did a bit of searching through google but got only cryptic hints as to how and when to use it let alone install it.

Any info for a budding neophyte?

EDIE: Ok did some more searching and foun d that TC is a file manager. Is it really that great? I was getting along with DirOpus so well

Eh = I think I just read something about Dopus as being an early incarnation of total commander - is that accurate?

Nevermind all that - I am 99% sure I got the plugin installed correctly - though I am not sure of a good end of mystery test - suggestions welcome

Last edited by Morbane; 05 January 2012 at 10:52.