English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 31 August 2004, 08:18   #1
The Rom Alien
Elsewhere I am lsproc

Where can I legally get a imaged set of Workbench disks?

Does anyone know where I can get a .ADF set of 3.1 WB disks legally. The main reason that I want one is so I can play one of my games and read AmigaGuides without SYS REQ's and change the res and other stuff. The only way I've thought of is to get the Amiga Forever PlusPack but it would be a waste of money if it does not. I've got no games that need the 2.x wb (even though I could do with a good 1.3 WB disk as mine won't boot any more!
Old 31 August 2004, 09:10   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

adf of Wb is not legal. You need to buy the real stuff. You should read the FAQ on this board before posting request like this WB3.1 is still sold
Old 31 August 2004, 09:50   #3
IFW

You can't, unless you image it yourself or find it somewhere.
The "real" retail versions are not sold anymore apart from 3.5, 3.9 and 4.0 someday. If you are lucky you might find some real retail disks on ebay or make sure you get them with an used machine sold for peanuts in many countries.
Alternatively you can buy altered (so they don't work on a real machine) and encrypted (anyone remotely competent in cryptography can decrypt them in a few seconds without knowing the actual keys used) versions of the KS roms and WB which are ok for emulation, but you don't want to burn them for a real machine.
Of WB: there had been things removed, some I think has been put back recently like translator.device removed that is needed by many old adventure games when you turn the speech on, or they refuse to start completely.
I am not sure whether you still has to do with pre-installed WB only, instead of real disk images.
You can buy the package - go for the full one with CD - and if for some reason unhappy, just download the real thing afterwards...
For your purpose what they are should be just fine though.
Old 31 August 2004, 11:04   #4
Bloodwych

Might want to contact cloanto:

http://www.amigaforever.com/osmedia/
Old 31 August 2004, 11:24   #5
The Rom Alien
Elsewhere I am lsproc

Well so far nobody has answered my question
The only way I've thought of is to get the Amiga Forever PlusPack but that might not have the full set. CAN ANYONE WHO OWNS THE PLUS PACK GIVE A REPLY???
Old 31 August 2004, 12:59   #6
IFW

"It will be required to provide the serial number of the computer. "
Interesting... Real C= software was never ever locked to serial numbers nor it is needed to run the real disks at all, and there is no way to check the serial number of your machine from software.
In other words it is not needed, and it is none of anyone's business what the serial number of your C= - a company that went out of business more than a decade ago - machines are.
It is just a side thing that AInc does not own any Amiga Intellectual Property anymore especially the right to the OS of past, present or future, they have been all very silently transferred to yet another company called KMOS a long while ago in order to strip assets from any legal liability in case of damage collection.
Makes me wonder how old that post is.

Last edited by IFW; 31 August 2004 at 13:09.
Old 31 August 2004, 13:07   #7
IFW

http://www.amigaforever.com/online/plus/
Apparently it does, but may not be all of the disks. Better ask them to get an official and definitive answer before your purchase. It is also stated that the CD contains everything from the pluspack so if anyone has the cd he can confirm.

http://www.amigaforever.com/
Certainly it is best try and contact them I am sure they are nice and will reply to your enquiry promptly and the answer will be definitive.
Old 31 August 2004, 13:20   #8
IFW

Ok, I remembered this was discussed before, made a search and here are the disappointing results:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1085

In other words: buy and image your own set if concerned and can find it on ebay
Alternatively go and download the tosec sets, they are complete not just the first disks of the workbench sets...

Pretty sad.
Old 31 August 2004, 14:35   #9
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
D/L the Tosec set is what I did. I own a real set of disks and manuals for WB 1.3 and 2.0x, havn't got around to getting a real 3.0 set for my a1200 yet.

The TOSEC sets come up in newsgroups from time to time, and some people have ftp sites that host them.

I purchased my WB sets from people that advertised in newsgroups (some for just the cost of shipping).
Old 31 August 2004, 22:37   #10
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
D/L the Tosec set is what I did. I own a real set of disks and manuals for WB 1.3 and 2.0x, havn't got around to getting a real 3.0 set for my a1200 yet.

The TOSEC sets come up in newsgroups from time to time, and some people have ftp sites that host them.

I <Alledgedly> purchased my WB sets from people that advertised in newsgroups (some for just the cost of shipping).
Sure you didn't mean this wouldn't want you to admit to anything....

Me got legle sets of WB1.2 up
Old 31 August 2004, 23:00   #11
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Bah.. I could care less who knows about my TOSEC collection. I have never seen a collector of vintage systems that didn't have a huge stash of pirated software in their collection, these same people here with such stashes tell newbies that its illegal to d/l them (hint hint nudge nudge say no more). Send me a digital camera and I will take pics of the shelfs full of legit Amiga software and manuals, send me a huge HD and you can have a copy of my archives too.

Amiga Corp or whoever owns the Amiga OS today can cash in their moms 401K and hunt me down to buy a liscence for OS 3.0 anytime they want. I will buy one when I get around to it.
Old 01 September 2004, 08:45   #12
The Rom Alien
Elsewhere I am lsproc

Is it legal to download the TOSEC sets if you have never owned the original disks?

And even if I did they wouldn't be mutch use... there DAT files
Old 01 September 2004, 10:13   #13
Paul
RIP Friends

I'm going to close this topic now as we can't give you any more info.