English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 23 April 2009, 09:15   #1
SupahFlyRetard

ClassicWB 68k with 1meg ram only

Hello

Like the header implies, is it possible to run 68k classicwb on my a500+ with only 1mb of ram? I am getting a 3.1 chip today, have a 2 gig harddrive, but not a whole lot of ram

I'd like to use directory opus, run protracker, asm pro and whdload (I cant seem to install the latest whdload without it crashing, at least in winuae).
Old 23 April 2009, 09:54   #2
Graham Humphrey

As it says 2MB on the website I'd guess you will be very limited in what you can do. Certainly WHDLoad won't be of much use with only 1MB. I'd imagine at a pinch you could only run games that use 512K RAM.
Old 23 April 2009, 10:00   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The WHDLoad readme says it works with 1 MB. Would be really interesting to know if some games really work on that spec
Old 23 April 2009, 10:01   #4
SupahFlyRetard

Damn I need some ram, and fast!
Old 23 April 2009, 10:04   #5
SupahFlyRetard

OK i'll give it a shot, I would install just whdload on my hdd but I donät know how to use it I can't seem to find a good tutorial
Old 23 April 2009, 10:17   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

For a start have a look at Cody's FAQ : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5267
Like you said you should really have more Ram (2 MB at least, better 4 MB), if really plan to use WHDLoad.
Old 24 April 2009, 09:33   #7
SupahFlyRetard

Ok so turns out I have 1 meg of chipram and 512kb of extra. I can run state of teh art but there is lag like every 10 seconds fro aout 1 second. The gsame that came with classic wb (some ultra-crappy rpg) runs fine using whdload.

Where can I find more ram fro the a500? I can't seem to find any expansions that are larger than 512 kb!
Old 24 April 2009, 09:58   #8
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahFlyRetard View Post
Ok so turns out I have 1 meg of chipram and 512kb of extra. I can run state of teh art but there is lag like every 10 seconds fro aout 1 second. The gsame that came with classic wb (some ultra-crappy rpg) runs fine using whdload.

Where can I find more ram fro the a500? I can't seem to find any expansions that are larger than 512 kb!
You have an A500+:
- All standard trapdoor 512 KB expansion for classic A500 should work. You can find one very cheap and it will give you easily a 1,5 MB A500+ CHIP RAM.
- Specific trapdoor RAM expansions for A500+ have 1 MB on board. They are rare but not so rare, a bit expansive (about 20 euro these days). One of them will give you a 2 MB CHIP RAM A500+ (like an A600 expanded), perfect for ClassicWB.
- You can mount external expansions board like SupraRAM RX to the left connector of the Amiga 500/+. They can add from 1 to 8 MB FAST RAM. Your A500/+ will add FAST RAM to your existant CHIP RAM and its speed will increase about 30%. I believe SupraRAM, using its expansions slot, can accept Hard Drive requiring the same left connector, but I'm not sure.

A500+, differently vs. classic A500, can be easily expanded having CHIP RAM that is essential for WHDLoad Games. If you have one with hard drive you have already a good start.
Old 24 April 2009, 10:14   #9
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
chances are your harddrive expansion also supports ram. do you know its make and model ?
Old 24 April 2009, 11:02   #10
SupahFlyRetard

I have a 512kb expansion so in total 1,5 mb ram. I'd love to get a trapdoor expansion of 2 mb or more but I canät seem to find any - at least not anywhere close to Sweden.
I have an icd adide controller for the harddrive (controller fits between the 68k processor) and I want to stick an 2.5 drive inside the a500+ case this weekend.

I'd rather not have to add anything to the left connector, the gvp or whatever it is called is huge!) but if I can get a 30% speed boost I would consider it if there are smaller alternatives out there.

Are there any specific brands I shold look for?
Old 24 April 2009, 13:44   #11
SupahFlyRetard

ok so I found this http://eu-shop.elbox.com/cgibin/shop...1&sid=3d0eb00b

But 1 meg seems a little small - I mean If I'm getting something id rather go for the full monty But 8 megs seems a tad much and way to expensive - when would I ever need 8?
Old 11 August 2009, 18:49   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
The WHDLoad readme says it works with 1 MB. Would be really interesting to know if some games really work on that spec
I have trouble running some of the games that suggest 1mb req memory on my A1200 with stock 2mb

Using multiboot with 1.7mb free some of them still dont run, I am guessing you need enough for the disk image 880k plus the 1mb to run the game.
Old 11 August 2009, 20:14   #13
Bloodwych

Yeah, all my packs need at least 2MB to run or it's a bit pointless. With 1MB, you are far better off with a standard install.

WHDLoad will not run every game even with 2MB. Getting rid of preload tool type may help in certain cases I think.

I did place in a multiboot as mentioned above. Which system are you using to launch the games? Runlist? RAD:? CLI: using WBRun?. Using the left mouse button multiboot then selecting prompt from the top left requester will get about 1.83MB free.

The most free RAM: you can get is to boot by holding down the two mouse buttons and boot with no startup-sequence. Then use WBRun to run the WHDLoad game with about 1.85MB.

I think some just won't run with 2MB full stop.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 11 August 2009 at 22:07.
Old 11 August 2009, 20:29   #14
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Bloodwych, if you are addressing me, I am using runlist.

Thanks again for your help before as this is actually with the full version of ClassicWb not even the light!

I also added my own HD installed games (from the original disk installers) like Skidmarks 2, Monkey Island, etc as 'other' and they work perfectly from the run list.
Old 04 September 2009, 01:19   #15
Eclipse
Turpentine

What HD are you using?
Some can have additional RAM.
Old 03 December 2009, 02:34   #16
backtoskooldaze

Hi Bloodwych

Hi Bloodwych,It's been a long time since i asked you stuff about the Amiga.I have been off the Amiga for a good few yrs and now i am starting up again.
I have an A500+ with an extra 512k memory added under the trap door and i think its workbench 2.04 installed.
I have an A590 attached with 2mb memory installed.I was wondering if you could tell me the best classicWB i can use to install?
The last time i contacted you was how to install a classicWB on my CD32's harddrive and it works great with no speed problem.
Now i want to use a classicWB on my a500+ please can you advise me on which one to use?

Thanks
Old 03 December 2009, 18:27   #17
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahFlyRetard View Post
Ok so turns out I have 1 meg of chipram and 512kb of extra. I can run state of teh art but there is lag like every 10 seconds fro aout 1 second. The gsame that came with classic wb (some ultra-cool rpg) runs fine using whdload.

Edited.
Old 03 December 2009, 18:35   #18
Bloodwych

Hi backtoskooldaze, haven't seen you around for a while. Wow, an A590. They are quite rare and a great bit of kit!

The best version for that machine is the GAAE version, as it's the only one to support 2.04:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/gaae.htm

The dock bar can be enabled or disabled as can many other components.

Make sure you look at the dual boot options too:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicwe...ibootgreen.htm

Old 04 December 2009, 06:47   #19
backtoskooldaze

Thanks Bloodwych

Cheers Bloodwych,I will take a look at those links! Good to be back and thanx for the welcome i had a feeling you would not have remembered me Glad you have though
Bloodwych one more thing can you point me in the right direction as to getting a scsi cable for the A590 to attach other scsi devices? I have been in touch with Amigakit.co.uk and he wants me to take some pics of the A590's scsi connector but unfortunatley my camera does not take pics too well.I have scsi adapters to go from scsi 1 to scsi 2 and i have squirrel but none of these are any good for the A590?
Any help appreciated

Old 04 December 2009, 06:50   #20
backtoskooldaze

forgot to mention?

Hi Again i forgot to mention that i see that Paul (green alien) is not with the amiga english board? I am slightly confused as to why but do have a good guess? I am sure he will be very missed and remembered in the Amiga community