English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 May 2016, 00:28   #1
Leandro Jardim

WinUAE file dialogs and more

Hi,

If there is something I miss from AmigaOS apps in many Windows apps, is the way ASL requesters automatically fill the text gadget used for entering the file name with the name of the last file which the user selected. It's much better than simply displaying a empty gadget because with a simple keystroke I can automatically select the next file on the current directory for selecting, for example, another game or the next disk from a same game. Toni, could you modify the WinUAE file dialogs for filling them with the last file name?

There is something more: mouse/joystick autoswitch is a great feature for plugging the joysticks like we have done with on our Amiga's at that time, but it can't detect the joystick or mouse properly when the input configuration is set to any other than of "Game Ports Panel". I am using the "Configuration #1" to fix a small incompatiblity with my brazillian keyboard with AmigaOS 68k.

Thank you much for accepting my suggestion about the "Master harddrive write protection". Unfortunately I think there is something wrong with it, the last time I selected it and booted Workbench from a floppy, my IDE RDB hardfile was still unprotected. And I cant write anything to the directory file system I have mounted, because WinUAE protects it always, no matter if I boot from floppy or HD.

Greets

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 15 January 2017 at 17:59.
Old 23 May 2016, 16:35   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
If there is something I miss from AmigaOS apps in many Windows apps, is the way ASL requesters automatically fill the text gadget used for entering the file name with the name of the last file which the user selected. It's much better than simply displaying a empty gadget because with a simple keystroke I can automatically select the next file on the current directory for selecting, for example, another game or the next disk from a same game. Toni, could you modify the WinUAE file dialogs for filling them with the last file name?
Windows dialogs unfortunately can't work that way. Currently selected file name in file list can't be pre-selected (or automatically scrolled to). File name field can be filled but it won't help.

But there is easier way to select other disks (at least when using GUI), right click floppy "Select image click" button.

Quote:
There is something more: mouse/joystick autoswitch is a great feature for plugging the joysticks like we have done with on our Amiga's at that time, but it can't detect the joystick or mouse properly when the input configuration is set to any other than of "Game Ports Panel". I am using the "Configuration #1" to fix a small incompatiblity with my brazillian keyboard with AmigaOS 68k.
It is not that easy to do in that mode. Maybe later, if even possible.

EDIT: explain a bit what happens or does not happen.

Quote:
Thank you much for accepting my suggestion about the "Master harddrive write protection". Unfortunately I think there is something wrong with it, the last time I selected it and booted Workbench from a floppy, my IDE RDB hardfile was still unprotected. And I cant write anything to the directory file system I have mounted, because WinUAE protects it always, no matter if I boot from floppy or HD.
IDE write protection is not supported. Problem is that there is no "write protected" error code in IDE protocol, IDE only has unrecoverable errors like "bad block", "CRC error" and so on. Any write attempt most likely would cause filesystem to return some annoying error dialogs or retrying it forever.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 23 May 2016 at 17:25.
Old 23 May 2016, 22:16   #3
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
It is not that easy to do in that mode. Maybe later, if even possible.

EDIT: explain a bit what happens or does not happen.
The joystick is not "inserted" on WinUAE when I hold the button. The joystick button itself is working, because I can use the button to dismiss the presentation of most games (even without any joystick set on WinUAE port 2). But I can't use the d-pad to control anything. I must set the joystick manually.

Quote:
IDE write protection is not supported. Problem is that there is no "write protected" error code in IDE protocol, IDE only has unrecoverable errors like "bad block", "CRC error" and so on. Any write attempt most likely would cause filesystem to return some annoying error dialogs or retrying it forever.
It would be possible for WinUAE to temporarily disable the autoconfig entry for all the HDs like it is possible to do with the Early Setup manually? This would be the prefered way for working with WinUAE hardfiles and TOSEC disks found on the NET.
Old 24 May 2016, 16:49   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
The joystick is not "inserted" on WinUAE when I hold the button. The joystick button itself is working, because I can use the button to dismiss the presentation of most games (even without any joystick set on WinUAE port 2). But I can't use the d-pad to control anything. I must set the joystick manually.
Did you also configure the joystick using Input panel? Autoswitch in Input panel mode basically only enables the device in Input panel.

Does it work if you manually enable the joystick using Input panel?

Quote:
It would be possible for WinUAE to temporarily disable the autoconfig entry for all the HDs like it is possible to do with the Early Setup manually? This would be the prefered way for working with WinUAE hardfiles and TOSEC disks found on the NET.
I don't see the point (just use different config?) but I'll add disable option to ROM panel boot ROM selection.
Old 24 May 2016, 19:10   #5
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
I don't see the point (just use different config?) but I'll add disable option to ROM panel boot ROM selection.
Toni if you wish, remove this option and also the old "master harddrive write protection" from misc panel. Before I had thought it was possible to use it to protect the harddrive during accidental reboots with infected disks from infecting the harddrive but it would not work, because the virus would resist on memory to a reboot. I promise I will not suggest anymore any "fantastic" features for WinUAE, sorry. Hopefully I am not the only to ask weird things for you.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 17 June 2016 at 15:58.