English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 May 2013, 23:06   #1
Swainy

Got an Amiga 1200 again after all this time

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. I used to own an Amiga 1200 back in the day and I've been lucky enough to been given another one recently.

Now I understand that it's possible to use a compact flash card to use as a hard drive.

Where is the best place to get one of these and what other bits will I need?

Cheers

Old 02 May 2013, 23:16   #2
manic23
Only Amiga!

All that info is on this site, you just need to hit that search button
Old 02 May 2013, 23:17   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi!

You can buy the card, adapter & cable for about £10-£12 all inc on eBay, or cheaper if you wait for delivery from China.

I also sell them over at Amibay and have created a Video guide to help with the install:

[ Show youtube player ]

There are also picture and text guides dotted around.

Realistically you will need some kind of Ram upgrade as many games need more than the standard 2mb to be launched with WHDLoad, a bog standard 4mb or 8mb trapdoor expansion will do the trick if you can find one or Amigait sell new ACA cards which come in a variety of speeds depending on your needs & budget.

Good luck with your project, an A1200 with a CF HDD and some extra Ram is a great setup

All the best,

Steve.
Old 02 May 2013, 23:28   #4
Swainy

Cheers guys! I've just noticed that the trap door from under the computer is missing! I don't suppose there is anywhere that would sell a replacement?

Old 02 May 2013, 23:55   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
eBay again you will find a seller called Airey36, if he hasn't got one listed you can send him an eBay message.

I also recommend signing up for Amibay, they have a 'wanted' section where you can ask for parts that you need
Old 02 May 2013, 23:59   #6
Swainy

Lovely! Thanks for all the help so far people. It's great to get such a nice welcome & fast response.

Old 03 May 2013, 00:51   #7
Kenan

These compact flash cards, these are the normal flash cards like the ones sold in PC shops? These can be bought in regular stores or what?
Old 03 May 2013, 08:32   #8
ajk

Yes, normal CompactFlash cards. There are some compatibility issues but at least Sandisk seems to work fine. Search here on the forums, there are probably a hundred threads dealing with the matter
Old 07 May 2013, 14:17   #9
Prosonic

sounds like your about to go down the road i just drove, i got most of my gear off ebay

300x 4gb scandisk cards work fine with pcmcia scandisk adapter to transfer files between pc and amiga, i use fat95 & cfd to read the fat32 formatted card, for the amiga side the dual cf card to ide adapters dont work with 2 card but will with one

the guides about setting up the cf cards are a must follow with sfs file system and limiting max transfers