English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 08 October 2017, 21:49   #1
Foebane
Banned

Robocod broken on GameBase 2

Just tried the ADF, and it won't do anything past the two cracktros on a Quickstart A500 configuration on WinUAE. I thought the ADFs were thoroughly tested and working on that archive?

Last edited by Foebane; 08 October 2017 at 22:21.
Old 08 October 2017, 22:26   #2
DamienD
Banned

They are Foebane, like myself, Belgarath tests thoroughly

...so to me this means that your config must not be correct. Am out ATM but will test when home.
Old 08 October 2017, 23:12   #3
DamienD
Banned

Home now; looked at the file that I use; "James Pond 2 - Codename Robocod (1991)(Millennium)[cr SKR][t +5 Ache Extensors].adf".

Took a peak at the file GameBase Amiga uses; "James Pond 2 - Codename RoboCod (1991)(Millennium)[cr Flashtro][t +18 Flashtro].adf"

...I must have missed this Flashtro release in my years AWOL.

Anyway, both work perfectly for me but the Flashtro one does takes ages to load...

Nothing special, but I'm using this configuration:

... A500.
... ECS Agnus ("Cycle-exact" ticked).
... KS 1.3.
... 512KB Chip & 512KB Slow RAM.
Old 08 October 2017, 23:36   #4
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Home now; looked at the file that I use; "James Pond 2 - Codename Robocod (1991)(Millennium)[cr SKR][t +5 Ache Extensors].adf".

Took a peak at the file GameBase Amiga uses; "James Pond 2 - Codename RoboCod (1991)(Millennium)[cr Flashtro][t +18 Flashtro].adf"

...I must have missed this Flashtro release in my years AWOL.

Anyway, both work perfectly for me but the Flashtro one does takes ages to load...

Nothing special, but I'm using this configuration:

... A500.
... ECS Agnus ("Cycle-exact" ticked).
... KS 1.3.
... 512KB Chip & 512KB Slow RAM.
1. Where did you get those files from?
2. I got my copy from ftp://grandis.nu/Commodore_Amiga/Gam...a%202/Games/J/ (GameBase Amiga 2) and what's more, it had a simpler, more straightforward name with no cracking group mentioned.
3. I went back to this page and re-downloaded the file, and it seems I had a faulty download, as it worked this time. Strange, even though 7-Zip said there were no errors in the zip.
Old 08 October 2017, 23:43   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
1. Where did you get those files from?
The EAB File Server under "Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC [2016-01-03]/Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2015-12-28_CM)/J"

Quote:
2. I got my copy from ftp://grandis.nu/Commodore_Amiga/Gam...a%202/Games/J/ (GameBase Amiga 2) and what's more, it had a simpler, more straightforward name with no cracking group mentioned.
Yes, Belgarath shortens the name of the files for use in GameBase. Probably something to do with Windows path length restrictions I'd imagine.

If however, you run the file "James Pond 2 - Codename RoboCod.adf" through ClrMAMEPro you will see what it's real TOSEC name is... i.e:

"James Pond 2 - Codename RoboCod (1991)(Millennium)[cr Flashtro][t +18 Flashtro].adf"

Quote:
3. I went back to this page and re-downloaded the file, and it seems I had a faulty download, as it worked this time. Strange, even though 7-Zip said there were no errors in the zip.
Great
Old 09 October 2017, 00:05   #6
Foebane
Banned

UPDATE:

It would appear that there was nothing wrong with my original file, neither. It finally ran, after I tried pressing Space and both mouse buttons one after the other, after the second cracktro. However, it took almost TWO MINUTES to load, and after spending ages on WHDLoad, I wasn't used to such a long wait, even though some demos are like that.

DamienD, I have to ask: What could I do to try to force a load on ADF games after cracktros? I've never liked them, and they infest Amiga games like a virus (literally) and what's more, whilst they can be creative visually, they also encourage cheating. I don't have the status display on screen, so I suppose I should turn that on so I can at least see what's happening?
Old 09 October 2017, 00:45   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
DamienD, I have to ask: What could I do to try to force a load on ADF games after cracktros? I've never liked them, and they infest Amiga games like a virus (literally) and what's more, whilst they can be creative visually, they also encourage cheating. I don't have the status display on screen, so I suppose I should turn that on so I can at least see what's happening?
...it really depends on the cracktro, though I'd say with 90%, you press the <Left Mouse Button> to continue; this is what you do with this game on both screens.

Other times it may be the <Right Mouse Button> or <Esc>...

Anyway, personally I love cracktros. It's part of the nostalgia for me as that's what I grew up with / remember

...and you say that they encourage cheating; heaven forbid!!!

You do realise that you don't need to use them; the more options the better in my book. Besides, WHDLoad also has trainers

Finally, with all my configs I do turn LEDs on so that I can see disk activity etc... I know that others don't like this but it's really personal preference here.
Old 09 October 2017, 10:39   #8
Foebane
Banned

Doing further tests on the ADF, it would appear that the loading times for Robocod 2 fluctuate a LOT, and looking at the drive activity monitor, it seems like the loading is almost lethargic, and sometimes it looks like it's stopped. It could be a case of decompressing after every track, but I've never seen a less reliable loading system.
Old 09 October 2017, 10:40   #9
ross
Defendit numerus

mmh, seems that the flashtro version loader is a little broken
loading time is totally unpredictable (surely too long..)

i'll check it

Last edited by ross; 14 November 2017 at 22:42.
Old 09 October 2017, 14:38   #10
Foebane
Banned

Don't bother, I've chucked the ADF. I cannot believe I yesterday re-collected a whole bunch of ADF games, they're more trouble than they're worth, with all of that cracktro crap and other issues.
Old 09 October 2017, 14:56   #11
DamienD
Banned

...if you use verified 100% working disks then there's no issue.

Did you try the disk I mentioned: James Pond 2 - Codename RoboCod (1991)(Millennium)[cr SR][t +5 Ache - Extensors].adf?

Also, seems that as you've found out that WHDLoad isn't quite perfect either given some of your recent threads.
Old 09 October 2017, 15:31   #12
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...if you use verified 100% working disks then there's no issue.

Did you try the disk I mentioned: James Pond 2 - Codename RoboCod (1991)(Millennium)[cr SR][t +5 Ache - Extensors].adf?

Also, seems that as you've found out that WHDLoad isn't quite perfect either given some of your recent threads.
I tried enough of ADF files titled like that over the years to sink several ships, so no, thanks.

WHDLoad is better for me for games only, not demos, but I forgot how long loading times could be under ADF, so they're better that way, too. However, I have to use WHDLoad under an AGA ClassicWB environment, and I noticed that (sometimes) that comes with compatibility issues, too.

I just want to play games, is all.
Old 09 October 2017, 15:34   #13
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I just want to play games, is all.
Don't we all