English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 January 2008, 18:38   #1
steve88

"Amiga games" will they work on.......

All Amiga models?

Just seen some original Amiga games on flea-bay, advertised only as “Amiga games” do all Amiga games work with most Amiga models...

Thanks…Steve..

Old 07 January 2008, 18:51   #2
DamienD
Banned

An A500 has by far the best compatibility for floppy based games. Some require 1MB of memory though...

You can usually check game requirements via Hall of Light (HOL).

If you use WHDLoad though, then it's a whole different story. Mind you this requires a HDD and preferably an A1200 with loads of RAM and expansion cards
Old 07 January 2008, 18:55   #3
Graham Humphrey

I would suggest you seriously consider getting hold of an A1200, a memory expansion (say 4MB, or even an 030 accelerator too) and a good sized hard drive (say 2GB) to use WHDLoad-installed games - it really is the best way.
Old 07 January 2008, 19:24   #4
steve88

So any Amiga game will play on most Amiga models then?

I don’t want to buy a load and find out they’re not compatible,

Cheers ..Steve
Old 07 January 2008, 19:30   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
So any Amiga game will play on most Amiga models then?

I don’t want to buy a load and find out they’re not compatible,

Cheers ..Steve
As said above, an A500 has the by far the best compatibility for floppy based games i.e. what you will be purchasing via eBay.

An A500+, A600, A1000, A1200, A3000, A4000 may have issues due to the different Chipsets / Kickstart ROMS used in these models... The only way to virtually guarantee compatibility with these models (minus the A500+ / A600) is to use a HDD and WHDLoad
Old 07 January 2008, 19:44   #6
steve88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
As said above, an A500 has the by far the best compatibility for floppy based games i.e. what you will be purchasing via eBay.

An A500+, A600, A1000, A1200, A3000, A4000 may have issues due to the different Chipsets / Kickstart ROMS used in these models... The only way to virtually guarantee compatibility with these models (minus the A500+ / A600) is to use a HDD and WHDLoad

Hi Damien
I’ve got an Amiga 500 but no games, the flea-bay add only states “Amiga games” I just want to know if they’ll load.In case theyre meant for a different model Amiga

Cheers….Steve

Last edited by steve88; 07 January 2008 at 19:50.
Old 07 January 2008, 19:47   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hi Damien
I’ve got an Amiga 500 but no games, the flea-bay add only states “Amiga games” I just want to know if they’ll load.

Cheers….Steve
If you have an A500 i.e. an OCS Chipset then 80% (rough estimate) of games will work

Stay away from AGA games as they won't...

Any specific reason why you want to purchase original games though?

You can always download then and transfer them to floppy for use on the Amiga. This section will help answer some questions about methology and requirements: How do I transfer my old games to the PC? How do I transfer my ADFs to my Amiga?

If you get get stuck or have questions then please ask and someone will be able to help
Old 07 January 2008, 20:02   #8
steve88

Quote:
Any specific reason why you want to purchase original games though?
I’m getting it back to how it used to be, compete with joystick, mouse modulator and original games, etc

So when I take it out the loft after another 20 yrs, it’ll be ready to go, and I wont have all this messing about again, lol

Just humour me..
Old 07 January 2008, 20:47   #9
paranoid
Phone Zen

With an A500, avoid games that say AGA or that they are for the A1200/4000. Those two computers were newer/more advanced computers that used a better chipset called AGA. It's like going from CGA to VGA on a PC. (Well, sort of, as analogies go..)

With an A500, there may be a few incompatible games here and there (some very, very early games may not work with Kickstart 1.3, etc..) but generally, the only worry you would have is if you don't have 1 meg of memory and the game requires it (it should be noted on the box if it needs 1 meg). If you don't have 1 meg total, you should really get the expansion; it's well worth it and not just a mere convenience.

So basically, AGA games aside, you shouldn't have a problem. It isn't to say there are no compatibility problems at all on the Amiga, but pretty rare compared to today when a PC game needs at least X processor, Y memory, Z graphic card, etc etc.
Old 08 January 2008, 20:31   #10
steve88

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
With an A500, avoid games that say AGA or that they are for the A1200/4000. Those two computers were newer/more advanced computers that used a better chipset called AGA. It's like going from CGA to VGA on a PC. (Well, sort of, as analogies go..)

With an A500, there may be a few incompatible games here and there (some very, very early games may not work with Kickstart 1.3, etc..) but generally, the only worry you would have is if you don't have 1 meg of memory and the game requires it (it should be noted on the box if it needs 1 meg). If you don't have 1 meg total, you should really get the expansion; it's well worth it and not just a mere convenience.

So basically, AGA games aside, you shouldn't have a problem. It isn't to say there are no compatibility problems at all on the Amiga, but pretty rare compared to today when a PC game needs at least X processor, Y memory, Z graphic card, etc etc.
Cheers for that Paranoid,

I might give eBay a miss then until I can be sure of what I’m buying, there was a package of 200+ games that went for about £40, I emailed the seller who said he wasn’t sure if they were all for the Amiga 500, so I suppose its better to find out more in the long run,

Cheers…Steve
Old 08 January 2008, 20:36   #11
steve88

Angry Dynablaster Flicking and Clicking

Just got a couple of joysticks from eBay for the 500 today, I had to give em a clean and some WD40 coz they were a tad sticky, but ok now,

Just waiting for the modulator and a mouse to turn up, I’m trying to get it back to how my other “sold” one was set up, and then hopefully I’ll remember a way to get rid of the Dynablaster flicker when the game loads out of the vision factory screen and into the game play itself,

Luckily some computer genius, brilliant helpful bloke on here enabled me to have it on CD for the PC...

But I would like to have the Amiga up and running like it used to be, Inc playing Dynablaster on it, I’ve read a few post about clicking the mouse when loading the game, but I think they were just speculative,

A definite solution would be greatly appreciated

Cheers all…..Steve
Old 08 January 2008, 23:15   #12
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
So when I take it out the loft after another 20 yrs, it’ll be ready to go
If you think you're going to take 30+ year old floppies out of your attic in 2028 and be 'ready to go' you're going to be in for a shock, I already have game floppies that are rotten despite having been stored in perfect conditions.

As others have said, the best way for you to go is get an Amiga 1200 with hard disk (desent one will cost you about 30 quid) you will be able to play 99.99% of amiga floppy based games and of course be able to use WHDLoad.

It really is the best way to go, my A500 is nothing but a nice museum piece.
Old 09 January 2008, 17:01   #13
steve88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA View Post
If you think you're going to take 30+ year old floppies out of your attic in 2028 and be 'ready to go' you're going to be in for a shock, I already have game floppies that are rotten despite having been stored in perfect conditions.

As others have said, the best way for you to go is get an Amiga 1200 with hard disk (desent one will cost you about 30 quid) you will be able to play 99.99% of amiga floppy based games and of course be able to use WHDLoad.

It really is the best way to go, my A500 is nothing but a nice museum piece.
The game plays ok apart from the flicker, but I remember from about 18 years ago that I definitely had to click the mouse buttons at a certain time, maybe to change it from ntsc to pal? So far I’ve been doing it with a joystick, but its possible it might not recognise what’s going on and wants a mouse click instead,

I could be jumping the gun by not waiting for the mouse to turn up, should be more patient I know, I know it’s a lot asking someone to remember something from 20 odd years ago, especially when I cant remember last week,

Regards….steve
Old 10 January 2008, 09:49   #14
Jope
-

Dynablaster runs in 60Hz.. Should that even work with the modulator.. ;-)

I seem to remember that the vision factory crack did indeed have an option to select 50Hz as well.

Why do you insist on the modulator? You live in Europe, where televisions have SCART sockets behind them. An RGB cable will give you a lot less hassle and a better picture.
Old 10 January 2008, 10:49   #15
DamienD
Banned

You're right Jope, Dyna Blaster (1991)(Hudson Soft)[cr VF][t +11 ZNT].adf does have a PAL fix. Only problem is that this version is spoilt by the trainer that is constantly switched on even if you don't select it to be... This ruins the fun in the game

As for the running Dynablaster in 50Hz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I have a hint for those who have a problem with the 60hz NTSC screen mode.

Press BOTH mouse button during game loading, the screen will be in 50hz
Old 10 January 2008, 13:46   #16
Jope
-

I never endured very many levels of bomberman in single player mode.

Multiplayer battle mode is where it's at! We've had endless fun playing it with five on the Wii. (you can get it off virtual console).

Five player doesn't work well on the Amiga because of keyboard clash. Unfair to the middle (keyboard) player. :-(
Old 10 January 2008, 13:52   #17
DamienD
Banned

Yeah Multiplayer is wicked fun

I play this (and sequels) via MAME32 with 4 x Xbox controllers connected via a USB adapter
Old 10 January 2008, 15:52   #18
Graham Humphrey

I am convinced Dynablaster is the most fun five people can have with their clothes on (or - what the hell - maybe even with their clothes off too). I've probably lost weeks to that game...
Old 10 January 2008, 16:08   #19
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Saturn Bomberman is better
Old 10 January 2008, 18:37   #20
steve88

JOPE….I wasn’t sure if the flicker was caused by the scart lead rather than the modulator, I used a modulator on the Amiga I sold and it worked ok then, apart from that the TV scarts are all in use, i.e. DVD, Digi-box and PS2, so the mod will come in handy,

DAMIEN… that quote you left is spot on, the mouse turned up today and I sussed it, after a lot of clicking in the wrong sequences, (I was right, I did jump the gun) but its done now, there’s a dark line followed by a white line faintly cycling up the screen, but its nothing to do with the game, but I can live with that, and luckily there’s no trainer on this copy, so its all systems go,

I can play with the old woman now (Dynablaster that is) and give her the usual thrashing she’s used to, only fair really, seeing as there’s a few games that she thrashes me on (regularly)

I really want to do the 5 player mode, but I haven’t seen a 4 way J/s adaptor anywhere, and if anyone can point me in the right direction I’d be grateful,

So thanks again for everyone’s help, it’s much appreciated,

Regards….Steve