English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 March 2019, 19:07   #41
vroom6sri

I’ve just looked that up on YouTube as I’d never heard of it until now. It looks good but where can we get it from?

Last edited by vroom6sri; 27 March 2019 at 19:26.
Old 27 March 2019, 20:47   #42
zipper

Seems to be on the server, 4 disks.
Old 27 March 2019, 22:29   #43
vroom6sri

Which server would that be please? I thought you meant The Zone but I couldn't see it there.
Old 27 March 2019, 23:06   #44
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
Which server would that be please? I thought you meant The Zone but I couldn't see it there.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633
Old 28 March 2019, 08:09   #45
vroom6sri

Ah! Many, MANY thanks. Got it.
Old 28 March 2019, 10:21   #46
Hewitson

I know what was one of the least impressive. MiG-29 Fulcrum.
Old 28 March 2019, 14:36   #47
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I know what was one of the least impressive. MiG-29 Fulcrum.
Nah it's great if you like looking at three color abstract images moving at 2 frames per second.
Old 28 March 2019, 22:52   #48
vroom6sri

Well first impressions are that Jet Pilot has to be acknowledged as an impressive looking flight sim although I think TFX actually runs smoother on my system.
Old 29 March 2019, 11:05   #49
BrooksterMax

TFX is an obvious candidate but I played it on PC. For me at the time on the Amiga, I thought Combat Air Patrol was pretty smart on many levels.

However the game I still return to a lot is Knights of the Sky. Is it maybe not technically impressive but has great atmosphere and game mechanics. It is a game I still return to today, but never really any other 16 bit era flight sim.
Old 02 September 2019, 15:56   #50
Angus
Amiga Games Database

It's obviously personal but Falcon was great for ground attack, and the first mission disk had some cool air to air missions, the dogfight feeling was great generally.

I think F29 was gorgeous to look at and generated massive pre-release excitement but when the game finally arrived, the collision detection on the hills actually used a rectangular area and the ships changed course in horrible jumps. There were a wealth of other annoyances that let it down for me.

Reach for the Skies is hugely overlooked and had some exciting dogfight moments that I'm not sure have been bettered on the Miggy. Even Amiga (I'd sooner be playing console games) Power gave it a great review. :-)

My friend loved F16 Combat Pilot, not least because you could play a campaign and have great freedom in your choice of strategy.

A couple of space games deserve a mention - Warhead and Shuttle.

You might want to check these reviews out:

http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/FlightSim.html
Old 02 September 2019, 16:21   #51
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
However the game I still return to a lot is Knights of the Sky. Is it maybe not technically impressive but has great atmosphere and game mechanics. It is a game I still return to today, but never really any other 16 bit era flight sim.
I was reading through the thread and I thought no one was going to mention it.

Probably not the most sophisticated Flight Sim ever. But I've never been into Flight Sims and I loved Knights of the Sky. Very fun game to play.
Old 02 September 2019, 17:19   #52
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
the most ? Tornado AGA from Digital Integration for me, and by far.
Old 02 September 2019, 18:07   #53
xubidoo

For me, it was simply Knights of the Sky, as I didn't like the jet fighter sims, yeah im probably in the minority lol.
But KotS was an amazing game for me and I put a lot of time into it.

Old 03 September 2019, 00:47   #54
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
For me, it was simply Knights of the Sky, as I didn't like the jet fighter sims, yeah im probably in the minority lol.
Oh hell yes, spent way too many hours in that

Even played against friends via modem/null modem, that was fun
Old 04 September 2019, 13:21   #55
Anubis
Retro Gamer

IMHO who ever thought that spinning code wheel before every mission in F/A-18 was good idea should never been close to game programming.

I played Gunship 2000 a lot, and only because I had HD at the time. Without it it would be too much work to get it going with 4 disks.

Soon after Amiga Jane's simulations just pointed how poor Amiga was in this department for mid 90's.
Old 08 September 2019, 16:10   #56
piesel

I deeply loved Falcon and F-18 Interceptor, at the time they gave me an exciting sense of speed, those external views were amazing.

Last edited by piesel; 25 September 2019 at 11:06.
Old 24 September 2019, 13:20   #57
paul1981

AV8B Harrier Assault for me is the best. You can control as much or little of the campaign as you like. Make sure you actually start the campaign though or none the enemies will appear and you'll be flying around on the CAP missions thinking 'where's the enemy'? (Go to the map, left CRT on opening screen and select 'GO' to start the campaign).
Flight model is top notch. It supports analog joystick too if you have one (select control method from menu once in the cockpit). If you heavily arm your aircraft you can definitely feel the weight! When flak explodes very near to you it nudges your aircraft accordingly depending upon where the shell exploded. You can fly around with an engine fire too, but not for long.
If you like you can arm your aircraft with whatever you like and just go on a 'CAP' mission...but really just go anywhere you want and try and destroy all the enemies on the whole island (good luck with that).

Graphics aren't that good, but it's made up for with a good immersive simulation. I believe it's an early FST (Flight Sim Toolkit) engine. I remember as a kid swapping the harrier model on the disk with some of the others from the game by renaming the files, and I'm sure I flew the C130!

I few years ago I compared the WHDLoad installed version with the original version installed onto hard disk via it's own installer and I discovered the WHDLoad version had a much lower frame rate. This was on an A600 with an ACA620. The original ran really smooth on this setup.
Old 24 September 2019, 20:02   #58
Angus
Amiga Games Database

If AV8B runs slow with WHDLoad, maybe report it. Its a Psygore patch and he was a great patcher and a very nice chap.

I accept what you say about the gameplay/strategy but it's not bery sophisticated graphically/3D wise. It was after all a 1992 game? In that regard it's not a patch on Falcon (also patched by Psygore) which was 1989. On the strategy side of things you might appreciate F16 Combat Pilot.
Old 25 September 2019, 04:01   #59
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
You're not in the minority at all I'm sure.

I loved the Jet sims but they ALL (imho) lacked decent dog fights.

It was all about shooting a dot with a locked on missile.

KotS was of course, all about close up dog fighting.

And the flight physics were outstanding. Being able to pull up, stall out, kick in some rudder, and slide out of the stall facing the opposite direction....ah so so good.

You really felt like you were man-handling a vintage under-powered flying go-kart....but in a good way.

BIG tick for KotS.
Old 25 September 2019, 22:20   #60
Angus
Amiga Games Database

I agree KotS was a great game, but there is very nice dogfighting in Falcon - particuarly the first mission disk against the MiG 29 Fulcrum, and the interceptions in the second mission disk are very cool too.