English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 21 September 2010, 21:11   #1
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Graphics by Uncle Tom

I bought Uncle Toms (Tomas Dahlgren) Amiga a while ago and have struggled to transfer his graphic to PC... the graphics was mostly on the HD but also on some disks. I got help from Jope to get started, i first wanted to use a PCMCIA to CF adapter to transfer from the Amiga but CF0 could never been mounted (neither could PC0) even if i had all needed files.
So i had to remove the HD from the Amiga and put in my PC to get the files, i really tried to avoid moving the HD as i was scared to destroy something... but putting it in the PC was the only way.

Here is zip with all graphics: http://www.ym2149.com/ut/Tomas_Dahlgren_gfx.zip

Old 21 September 2010, 21:14   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks for sharing Stefan Would you mind if I put that archive on the EAB file server as well?
Old 21 September 2010, 21:17   #3
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

"EAB file server"? you mean the zone?... sure put it where ever you want :-)
Old 21 September 2010, 21:22   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Oh, you haven't seen it yet : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633. Maybe you find something useful there
I'll put it in 'Misc/Source' (if someone has a better place, feel free to share your thoughts) then, thanks
Old 21 September 2010, 21:27   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lindberg View Post
I bought Uncle Toms (Tomas Dahlgren) Amiga a while ago and have struggled to transfer his graphic to PC... the graphics was mostly on the HD but also on some disks. I got help from Jope to get started, i first wanted to use a PCMCIA to CF adapter to transfer from the Amiga but CF0 could never been mounted (neither could PC0) even if i had all needed files.
So i had to remove the HD from the Amiga and put in my PC to get the files, i really tried to avoid moving the HD as i was scared to destroy something... but putting it in the PC was the only way.

Here is zip with all graphics: http://www.ym2149.com/ut/Tomas_Dahlgren_gfx.zip

A shame he's sold up and moved on, but great that anything worthwhile is saved

Any unreleased modules of his at all?
Old 21 September 2010, 21:29   #6
Frog

amazing amount of work. It's really sad that all those quality gfx were never used
Old 21 September 2010, 21:36   #7
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Not much modules at all... maybe one unreleased i think... but there was at least 10 "Aegis Sonix" tunes on a disk (really old stuff).
I found a disk that booted and showed "North Star Soundtracker Disk" but it had no modules on it... only "songs"?

The "Escapeque" graphics was surprisingly new, around 2000-2002 and made for Stavros Fasoulas who wanted to make a game for a handheld console... GBA maybe?

Here is Uncle Toms "Axe'n Crossbow" webpage:http://hornet.homeftp.net/axencrossbow/
Old 09 October 2010, 22:02   #8
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

One of the disks that came with the Amiga was a PC disk with "paint brush" written on it.
It contained 9 BMP's by Uncle Tom :-)
http://www.ym2149.com/ut/ARTS.zip
Old 11 October 2010, 21:47   #9
cv643d

What does the good uncle think of us looking through his unpatched underwear?
Old 12 October 2010, 00:33   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

damn this guy is good at pixel art!
Old 12 October 2010, 06:08   #11
Asle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lindberg View Post
Not much modules at all... maybe one unreleased i think... but there was at least 10 "Aegis Sonix" tunes on a disk (really old stuff).
I found a disk that booted and showed "North Star Soundtracker Disk" but it had no modules on it... only "songs"?
Songs are fine I guess. There's good chance to rebuild the sountracker file(s). Do you mind to share that ?

BTW, I recently was provided with an Amiga HD to extract all data. My method was to plug it on FreeBSD, make a dd, and load it in WinUAE/ADF Opus as HDF. Works like a charm

Sylvain
Old 13 October 2010, 20:51   #12
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
What does the good uncle think of us looking through his unpatched underwear?
He has no problem that his work is spread
Old 17 October 2010, 17:36   #13
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

I have got the PCMCIA to CF adapter to work so it's easy to transfer ADF images now... i had an old "mount" file that caused all problems.
i use Diskripper1.52 (as Ville suggested) to make ADF.

This is the Northstar music disk (ST-00):
ut_instr.zip
It includes all disks i found with instrument on also... "st-01^2.adf" and "ST-05.adf" had bad sector warning when i imaged them.

here is a booting disk that has a simple "road demo" sent to Uncle Tom from a coder (read the text for info):
road demo.zip

I think those two polygon demos are just like the road demo... examples sent to him from a coder... i have no idea really, i will ask Uncle Tom later.
Polygon demo 1 & 2.zip

And here are some non UT related stuff, you could check if it is interesting:
Leander demo
follin music
audio sculpture (boots with a car demo thing?)

Last edited by Stefan Lindberg; 17 October 2010 at 17:58.
Old 20 March 2015, 18:45   #14
uncletom

I realize this was some ten years ago, but still thank you very much Stefan for presenting what's left of me.

I just happened to google for "axencrossbow uncletom" to see where it would take me, and I think it was the first link that pushed me into this forum, and this thread. So I registered and now I'd like to show you my compilations of stuff, well what I've managed to put together anyway.

Perhaps some audiovisual enjoyment on youtube with my old pixels to my old tunes, for pleasant listening: [ Show youtube player ]

Also have a look at Walking, Visit, Speeding My Outlander and maybe more .. Can't remember.

Old 20 March 2015, 18:48   #15
uncletom

About Axe'n Crossbow, I did make a presentation of it in html together with some simple descriptions of the how I had visualized the game. I think that link Stefan posted earlier is broken so here goes: http://www.albyhus2.se/_eget/axencrossbow/

Old 20 March 2015, 19:21   #16
uncletom

One of my biggest regrets (or rather *flaws* because a regret is something that you had the chance of doing but never did, and I never even considered to learn programming) is that I never learned programming. I only did graphics and music and played games, as well as certain other non-intelligent hobbies.

AxenCrossbow was never realized. There were a few moments of hope occasionally speaking with programmers about it, but it never really took off. However the idea still lives. If you can imagine some of the good old games from the 80's and 90's, mostly the 16-bit scrolling games such as Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, Temple of Doom, Elevator Action, adding a dash of Ghosts n Goblins, and derive from it this medieval action adventure where you walk around shooting and jumping at satanic monks, guards with leather and spike armour, evil wizards, demons and dragons, you would probably wonder why such a game was never made on Amiga.

Well, there was this one .. 'Gods' I think which had certain parts of all the above, but it wasn't a smooth scrolling realtime game. Perhaps Axe'n Crossbow wasn't meant for the Amiga? Since then there have been several consoles out there that would manage such a game just fine in realtime. Just that preferences have changed and today no one seems to enjoy bloody barbarians and fleshy women killing anything and everything in their way. People today seem to busy with all that 3D, and lately these superimposed retro-pixels on HD screens of classic re-runs.

Nevertheless I think that even though the days of 15kHz raster scans are over, there is still room for barbaric adventures in plain 2D, I mean these are the games with the most accurate playablilty. Don't you agree?

Old 20 March 2015, 20:24   #17
uncletom

Let me post a few more pics for you, since I've uploaded them to my work's server...

I had this one for the intro picture in Axe'n Crossbow.

And some more tile testing

some more

.. slashing some bats

trying a different pallette, adding some treasure

Oh, look at all that gold! (I got this from Atari's Gauntlet)
"You can't find the way out!"

.. right, there's the door.

Closing time. Every one's asleep.

Man, this is primitive. Anyway, it was part of the plan.

Pretty funny stuff you can create of all those tiles in the bitmap.

Some masonary experiments and pillars, and doors...

Yeah! That's a door alright!

Stairs anyone? They are useful you know, unless you go by skateboard all the time.

And some interior for old houses, oak and mahagony. Really expensive.

Depth of field .. Where have I heard that lately?

Another door?

.. and I think this will do.

Cheers.

Old 20 March 2015, 20:44   #18
uncletom

Some more info about unreleased modules. This must have been more than 20 years ago, I lend my disk box to a friend of mine, Miguel, who wanted to browse through some music of mine because I had at that time done certain techno style music. He had my box of maybe 50-100 disks, and when I last spoke with him a couple of years ago I was told that this box has been gone now at least 15 years, sadly.

I did have a few mods recorded on tape that never reached the scene, I think most of them are on my youtube, as I linked above. Check out Visit, Walking and some more .. it's a Playlist.

Old 20 March 2015, 21:25   #19
Gzegzolka

Those pixels look so much sexy If You made this game I would love to play it!
Old 20 March 2015, 22:10   #20
Simmo76

@uncletom / Tomas
Welcome to EAB!
Axe'n Crossbow indeed looks as though it had the potential to be GOOOOD!