English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 May 2019, 10:45   #1
d4rk3lf

RPG recommendation

Ok, so here's the situation:

I've never finished any of the RPG on the Amiga (on PC, I finished many), and I intend to.
Here's the list of the games I want to play and (hopefully) finish:
Might And Magic II and III, Black Crypt, Ultima 6, Eye of Beholder 1 and 2, Dungeon Master, Ishar trilogy, Ambermoon, Amberstar... etc.

I am mostly interested in fantasy/medieval themes, so no Sci Fi, or Wild West. It can be both isometric, or pseudo 3D, or whatever...

Question:
1) In what order you think I should play these games, to get the best experience? I guess, list should be somewhat based from easy to hard (but not necessarily). You can add any game you want and that you recommend.

2) I kind of started playing Eye of Beholder 1. Got to second level, and pretty lost with the tunnel labyrinth. Would it be cheating if I gather map from internet, or you think I should draw it myself, for the best experience? Was the map included in the box version of the game?
However, I might stop playing, until I first finish some other games (by your recommendation).

Cheers!
Old 22 May 2019, 10:54   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

All of them are hard to really hard Arguably Dungeon Master is the easiest to complete of the bunch, that's probably a good starting point. You may want to look up a manual to learn how the spell system works.
Old 22 May 2019, 10:58   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Dungeon Master would be my preferred game to play first. The game is so immersive and fun and the benchmark for all other dungeon crawling RPG games.

You should definitely play Amberstar before Ambermoon. There are references in Ambermoon you only really understand once you've played Amberstar. Plus Ambermoon is a more polished experience, it's hard to want to play Amberstar once you've played Ambermoon.

Both Amber games can benefit from being played in WinUAE (you can fast forward the fight animation sequences).

If you are going to play the English version of Ambermoon, remember to install Meynaf's patch before you start.
Old 22 May 2019, 11:04   #4
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
All of them are hard to really hard Arguably Dungeon Master is the easiest to complete of the bunch, that's probably a good starting point. You may want to look up a manual to learn how the spell system works.
I've finished Dungeon Master 2 on PC, long, long time a go (maybe 2001).
Funny, I thought that DM is one of the hardest on the Amiga.
Isn't might and magic much easier then DM? I only played (and finished) 6,7 and 8 on PC, though.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
If you are going to play the English version of Ambermoon, remember to install Meynaf's patch before you start.
I am playing on real Amiga 500 with Aca 500+.
So, is that patch included in WHDLoad version of the game?
Thanks
Old 22 May 2019, 11:24   #5
Solo Kazuki

Dungeon Master is not hard... Chaos Strikes Back is! I recommend You to play CSB after DM.

Map was included in EotB, but only first three levels. Here is scan available.

Meynaf patch may be or may be not included in WHDLoad version of Ambermoon, it depend what version was used for WHDLoad version.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 22 May 2019 at 11:30.
Old 22 May 2019, 11:31   #6
appiah4

Playing Dungeon Master after Eye of the Beholder can be frustrating, it is pretty archaic in comparison in all regards. Might and Magic and Ishar are their own things and Ishar is probably the most frustratingly hard of the lot you mention. I would probably go Dungeon Master -> M&M 3 (skip 2 I'd say) -> EOB 1 -> EOB 2 -> Ishar 1/2/3 Of these, I did not finish the Ishar games and M&M3, so I don't know how good their endgames are.

I wouldn't play Ultima VI on the Amiga to be honest. Amber games, I never played so I can't comment.
Old 22 May 2019, 11:43   #7
d4rk3lf

@Solo Kazuki
Wow, thanks for that scan. Look great.
Never heard about Chaos Strikes Back. Looked at youtube now. Look great, and I like those big enemy sprites. If it's so hard, I might not play it after the DM, but prehaps, after I finish some easier rpg's.

@appiah4
Thanks.
--------------------

@Everybody

Dungeon Master then is.
Is DM include a map in the box version? Do I need a map at all (or I can memorize)? I don't remember I needed a map while playing DM2 on PC.
Old 22 May 2019, 11:49   #8
Solo Kazuki

Chaos Strikes Back is Dungeon Master addon, that's why i recommend it after Dungeon Master. It is Dungeon Master for hardcore gamers so it is hard.
Old 22 May 2019, 12:05   #9
d4rk3lf

Oh... I'll see then...
Depends on the impression DM left on me. I might want to play it right away, or I might decide to leave it for later.
Old 22 May 2019, 12:27   #10
Solo Kazuki

There are also some not mentioned interesting Fantasy RPGs which i also recommend:
Abandoned Places
Abandoned Places II
Crystal Dragon
Knightmare
Shadowlands
Old 22 May 2019, 12:29   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
So, is that patch included in WHDLoad version of the game? Thanks
No. The WHDload version is IMO a waste of time. WHDload installs are to add HD install capability and to make it work with faster processors, fix bugs. But the original v1.07 (English) had a built in HD installer and worked on faster processors and the WHDload patch doesn't fix any of the bugs *AND* it slows down the system. I think it was done just to say it had been done.

Last edited by alexh; 22 May 2019 at 12:34.
Old 22 May 2019, 13:37   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

DM is a great game. One of the "must be played" game for all RPG fan.
I woudn't say it's an easy one but like all RPG games you will have to "train" your team.
As far as i remember, BitD, even with my (strong) team, defeating the "Lord of Chaos" was not so easy. But I did enjoy the fight
The add-on (Chaos strikes back) and the second game (The legend of Skullkeep) are also cool.

It was not mentioned before, but there is also "The faery tale adventure" that you can add to your list. Open world instead of dungeon crawler. Worth the play.
I did try "Obitus", but don't remember it well, so, no opinion. Maybe someone else did play it ?

Last edited by malko; 24 July 2019 at 13:06. Reason: changed BiT -> BitD
Old 22 May 2019, 14:00   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You have to use your imagination a little to call Obitus an RPG, it has some mild RPG elements to it for sure. Audio-visually it's a beauty but it's a game for people who like to draw maps of mazes. Good god the mazes...
Old 22 May 2019, 15:43   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Other good RPGs

Legends of Valour
Captive
Liberation (Captive II)
Old 22 May 2019, 15:46   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yes but the latter two fail the "no sci-fi" restriction
Old 22 May 2019, 17:18   #16
meynaf
son of 68k

Dungeon Master 2 is somewhat harder than first DM, so if you finished it, you may find DM1 easier.
Eye of the Beholder 1 is quite easy, maybe even easier than DM. EOB2 isn't, though.
If you've played Albion on the PC, Ambermoon is similar. Amberstar is previous version of the engine, for me worth playing even after Ambermoon. Even older is Dragonflight - but one that i couldn't finish (maybe one day).
Black Crypt can be finished but is very unforgiving. Found it harder than Chaos Strikes Back.
Ishar trilogy isn't that hard, appears in the middle. I could finish them without help.
Ultima 6 can seem easy at start but it is difficult to get far into the game (i didn't). Sure an automap would have helped...
Kightmare is quite hard ; you can get far but finishing it without some sort of walkthru is another story (if you like Captive, same engine here).

Not already mentioned here are :
- Bloodwych - very basic and not difficult but very big dungeon
- Evil's doom - one of the best, albeit not very easy
- Legacy of Sorasil - difficult to get into, but worth it once done
Old 22 May 2019, 21:11   #17
Solo Kazuki

Black Crypt is far much easier than Chaos Strikes Back. Finished Black Crypt many times, even doing "full clear" - all monster generators have limited quantity.

Bloodwych have data disk, so i propose also this.

About Evil's Doom it can be problem because he have A500 (no AGA)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I am playing on real Amiga 500 with Aca 500+.
Old 22 May 2019, 23:05   #18
BarryB
Amigaholic

Fancy any of the classic SSI games: Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, Pool Of Radiance, Curse Of The Azure Bonds, Secret Of The Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway To The Savage Frontier, Treasures Of The Savage Frontier.

Or Westwoods Eye of the Beholder I & II, or Sir-Techs Wizardry: Bane Of The Cosmic Forge?

And don't forget The Bard's Tale I, II & III or Dragon Wars or Realms Of Arkania: Blade Of Destiny!

Quite a few RPG's there!
Old 23 May 2019, 04:08   #19
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
M&M 3 (skip 2 I'd say)
Having beaten both of them, I actually liked M&M II more than III. Plus, I would just play PC version of M&M III as the Amiga is a straight port.
Old 23 May 2019, 04:26   #20
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

+1 for Captive. God that game is awesome!