English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 July 2003, 15:01   #21
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
So definitely correct and splendidly put by by Muzkat

But come on...if there was one game to take your breath away, in all respects...it was Gods!!! From the gorgeous artwork, to the enchanting sound effects (the "thud thud" of Hercules boots, and his various groans when he jumps and is wounded my personal favourites), to the challenging, yet not impossible game structure, intricate puzzles, and a computer AI which reacts to how well, or how poorly, you are playing, nothing else comes close.
Good man
Old 01 July 2003, 15:04   #22
Ian
Global Moderator

Batman the movie.

While by no means is it the best game I ever saw on the Amiga, or is it the best graphically, but it was the only one that had any sort of jaw dropping effect on me.

I expected all other games to be the same or better, so there was never a feeling of WOW with any other game.
Old 01 July 2003, 15:25   #23
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Ian

I know what you mean about Batman the Movie. I bought the Batman pack so it was literally one of the first games I ever played on an Amiga (possibly the first ever) so it wowed me big time. Even to this day, the driving section is one of my fave racers on Amiga.
Old 01 July 2003, 17:34   #24
Ian
Global Moderator

Yeap, the driving section is pretty cool, however....

I call for an urgent "Dastardly Definition" of the words "Jaw dropping"

Because try as I might (with my own definition of Jaw dropping), I fail to see how games such as Civilisation and Settlers could be considered jaw dropping.

Jaw dropping for me, is looking/listening at something and instantly thinking "Oh my god!!, that's amazing"

Not sitting there for hours and suddenly thinking where the time went. Sure this means it's a damn fine game, but jaw dropping??
Old 01 July 2003, 17:56   #25
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Ian
Your right. Jaw Dropping means an instant WOW factor. Some of the examples posted do not qualify as Jaw Dropping.

So lets have examples of actual Jaw Droppers shall we? Hmm?

'Dastardly Definition' I love it
Old 01 July 2003, 18:47   #26
Ian
Global Moderator

I'm not getting at anyone BTW, it's just there are already 600 "Favourite/Best Amiga game" threads.

Let this one at least justify it's place here by being different

Diversity = Goodness
Old 02 July 2003, 14:46   #27
TikTok

Geoff Crammond's Formula One Grand Prix. When I first played this on Christmas Day on my shiney new A600...wow. It had 3D graphics, all the cars in the right colours; the circuits looked just like on TV! And then the replays. Wow, I couldn't believe it. I could watch my crashes and overtaking moves from many different angles, just like on TV (we had a really bad TV in those days ).
Old 08 July 2003, 22:10   #28
kolorabi

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Because try as I might (with my own definition of Jaw dropping), I fail to see how games such as Civilisation and Settlers could be considered jaw dropping.

Jaw dropping for me, is looking/listening at something and instantly thinking "Oh my god!!, that's amazing"
If The Settlers wasn't Jaw dropping when it first came out, then I don't know what was. There's still nothing like it, and when it first came out it was miles ahead of everything else.

Another truly Jaw Dropping game was Gloom. I hadn't played any PC-based 1st person shooters at the time (except maybe Wolfenstein3D), so it was quite an amazing experience. Same with Breathless, a little while later.
Old 09 July 2003, 01:48   #29
Amiga1992

I think my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw Turrican 2 (The colors! The music!) and Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (The speed! The music! ). Those were some of the first Amiga games I ever saw in my machine. Oh, Les Manley's and X-Copy made me drool when I was on the pirate bastard's shop
Old 09 July 2003, 09:30   #30
Tim Janssen

Smile First impressions

When a friend of mine suddenly decided to buy an Amiga instead of a C64 in 1990, I was very curious what the games would look like.

The first game that completely blew me away was Aladdin's Magiclamp. A horrendous horizontal scrolling shoot-'em-up by todays' standards (let alone in 1990), but the sound of breaking glass when enemies were shot really amazed me.

It was UBI Soft's Unreal which made me decide to work overtime and use all of my pocketmoney to get an Amiga. The 3-D graphics were amazing and the arcade adventure sections looked beautiful. But it was the intro-tune that really sent shivers down my spine... Anything was possible with the Amiga!
When I load up Unreal nowadays in WinUAE I still get that wonderful feeling. It still is an amazing game after all those years. *sigh*
Old 14 July 2003, 22:18   #31
yadster

3 games stick in my mind. Dungeon Master, still very atmospheric even today, when I first bumped into a mummy I nearly shat my pants. Star Wars the arcade game. I know the graphics were somewhat limited but I remember seeing it running in Virgin and when I heard the samples I was blown away, I had to ditch my Spectrum and get an Amiga as soon as possible. And finally Sword Of Sodan. Again I saw it running in Virgin and was literally blown away by the graphics and sound. Pity it played like a stinky pile of stinky poo.
Old 14 July 2003, 22:32   #32
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
My first amiga game was SOTB 1 .. i was really impressed graphic,music .. trainer (didnt know it shouldnt be normally included hehe) ... then Turrican 1,2 ... Elvira 1 Mistress of the Dark (i was really afraid to play it at night .. especially with music at garden) .. Waxworks .. P.P. Hammer .. Great Giana Sisters (that music) .. Full Contact (my first game that i finished) .. Dungeon Master then Chaos Strikes Back (boy that was hard for me to finish) and i nearly forget Lotus 1 .. broke two joystick on it ... I forget probably some of them .. oh yeas .. They come from the desert .. from cinemaware .. really freaky game !