English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 March 2019, 23:29   #1
Lorfarius

WINUAE HDFs no longer work

I have a couple of HDF files setup to run games. Both with different versions of Workbench. 8GB and 4GB, weirdly they stopped working and opening them now just loads the floppy disk boot screen.

I haven't changed anything in the settings and not sure what's happened but no matter which configuration file I run it keeps doing the same thing. Any ideas?
Old 16 March 2019, 23:46   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Have you tried starting Hardfiles without a floppy disk?
You should add some more info, hardfiles are RDB Mode? Which system is overriding and installed on the hard drives?
Old 16 March 2019, 23:55   #3
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Have you tried starting Hardfiles without a floppy disk?
You should add some more info, hardfiles are RDB Mode? Which system is overriding and installed on the hard drives?
Yes, doesn't load anything. Hardfiles are in RDB mode and its uses the System file from ClassicWB. I haven't touched any settings as I only use my setup to record game footage yet none of the config files I have work anymore. Looking at WINUAE's properties its from January 2018 so it's not like I've updated it by accident

This is the 4GB config:
Old 17 March 2019, 00:08   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

No from what you can see RDB has not been activated on WinUAE. Are you sure that the Hardfile has been initialized with HDToolBox? Only in this case you need to activate RDB Mode.
The hardfile with which HDController you configured it , can you click on the file and post the screenshot?
If I understand correctly the operating system on the hardfiles is ClassicWB Full
Old 17 March 2019, 00:16   #5
thomas

This screenshot shows that the HDF is *not* in RDB mode. If it was RDB mode, then the RDB mode button would be greyed out as well as the input fields for Surfaces etc.

Also you should show the properties before you start emulation. Run winuae, load the config but do not start it. Open the properites, now the two text fields between IDE (auto) and New Hard disk image file should be filled with data giving more details about the HDF.

If you use HDFs of 4GB or bigger with the standard version 40 of FFS they can easily self-destruct.
Old 17 March 2019, 00:21   #6
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
This screenshot shows that the HDF is *not* in RDB mode. If it was RDB mode, then the RDB mode button would be greyed out as well as the input fields for Surfaces etc.

Also you should show the properties before you start emulation. Run winuae, load the config but do not start it. Open the properites, now the two text fields between IDE (auto) and New Hard disk image file should be filled with data giving more details about the HDF.

If you use HDFs of 4GB or bigger with the standard version 40 of FFS they can easily self-destruct.
I don't think the HD has self destructed as I have a couple of backup copies each with their own config files. They all do exactly the same thing so I think it's WINUAE. Everything was working fine a few days ago as I use them every week to produce footage for my podcast but they've just stopped.
Old 17 March 2019, 00:24   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Try to create a new configration from a standard configuration:

- QuickStart
- A1200 + 4MB
- Add HardFile
- Configure HardFile -> UAE HD Controller
- Start WinUAE
Old 17 March 2019, 00:26   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Reminds me an issue with an HDF I made (see here).
I have shared only the HDF but it refused to boot when we added it to a WinUAE config (???).
At the end I shared the HDF with the initial config. I can't remember / say for sure, but during the tests I have made, it seems to me that part of the solution was in the chipset option screen.
Old 17 March 2019, 00:26   #9
Lorfarius

Problem solved! Just stripped it down to a basic A1200 and readded the HDF. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the help all
Old 17 March 2019, 00:35   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
At the end I shared the HDF with the initial config. I can't remember / say for sure, but during the tests I have made, it seems to me that part of the solution was in the chipset option screen.
When an HD is not displayed is always the fault of a wrong configuration, the reasons may be many, such as two different HD controllers, two hard drives with the same volume name, two twin hard drives etc. .