English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 August 2012, 12:23   #1
Vollldo

Easy ways to boost an A500 and an A1200

Hello to all, i would want your advices on the easiest ways to accelerate my A500 and A1200. For now, my A500 is the standard one with the A501 RAM extension and my A1200 too (with a 3gb hard drive though).

By easy way, i mean "plug'n play" ones, like for instance, plug an additional processor inside or an extra card WITHOUT compatibility problem for games.

Particularly, i would want to accelerate vector games on my A500 as Stun car racer for the serial two players mode (the speed is perfect for me on the A1200 using the turbo version), and also add some extra RAM on my A1200 to be able to launch the CD32 rip of Speedball 2.

So any VERY easy solution ? I insist on the compatibility problem, for me to replace the internal 68000 of the A500 is NOT what i want, i would prefer an accelerator that can be turned on/off on startup.

Thanks in advance for your lights .

I found this page : http://www.amiga-hardware.com/

Last edited by Vollldo; 16 August 2012 at 12:30.

Old 16 August 2012, 12:52   #2
zipper

A Supraturbo 28 was the ideal expansion for A500 - just plug into the side expansion connector and with 0.5 MB A501 it gave upto 4x more grunt - Lotus 1 and Stunt Car Racer were much more fluid as well as F1 GP. And even floppy loading was speedier...
Old 16 August 2012, 12:57   #3
Leffmann

this http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65155
and this http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65047

A CPU expansion always comes at the price of older troublesome games not working correctly, but luckily WHDLoad-installs address this. Fastmem expansions for A1200 are pretty expensive unfortunately.
Old 16 August 2012, 18:29   #4
Vollldo

Thanks a lot my friends .

@zipper :
Is this that one ? I read that there is no FPU processor, is this possible to add an 68881 inside the A500 to boost even more the accelerator card for vectorized games ? By the way, has the game must have been coded to take advantage of the FPU cpu ?

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha....cgi?HARDID=87

@Leffmann :
Yes indeed they are pretty expensive but if you can advice me a place to buy i would appreciate. In the same way, a plug'n play one. Only an extra RAM or an accelerator too.

At last, another question : i see plenty models of accelerator cards for the A1200, and i am wondering if these cards have to be plugged by replacing the internal mother board of if at the contrary if they have to be plugged under the amiga (is it what one calls the "trapdoor" ?) ?

Old 16 August 2012, 21:49   #5
zipper

No FPU in A500 without a beefier accelerator card; just a couple of Amiga games do benefit from FPU (Quake and TFX and ?).
Trapdoor for A1200, yes.
Old 17 August 2012, 07:55   #6
bdb

Smile Jens is releasing new hardware this fall

Individual Computers will be releasing NEW accelerators this fall that MAY fit your needs
Old 17 August 2012, 11:47   #7
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
Hello to all, i would want your advices on the easiest ways to accelerate my A500 and A1200. For now, my A500 is the standard one with the A501 RAM extension and my A1200 too (with a 3gb hard drive though).

By easy way, i mean "plug'n play" ones, like for instance, plug an additional processor inside or an extra card WITHOUT compatibility problem for games.

Particularly, i would want to accelerate vector games on my A500 as Stun car racer for the serial two players mode (the speed is perfect for me on the A1200 using the turbo version), and also add some extra RAM on my A1200 to be able to launch the CD32 rip of Speedball 2.

So any VERY easy solution ? I insist on the compatibility problem, for me to replace the internal 68000 of the A500 is NOT what i want, i would prefer an accelerator that can be turned on/off on startup.

Thanks in advance for your lights .

I found this page : http://www.amiga-hardware.com/
the best accelerator for the A500 is by far the A530 by GVP
it can be turned off on the fly for 100% compatibility plus it have a fast scsi hardisk controller,external conector for a cdrom and works with kick1.2+
Old 17 August 2012, 16:41   #8
orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
the best accelerator for the A500 is by far the A530 by GVP
it can be turned off on the fly for 100% compatibility plus it have a fast scsi hardisk controller,external conector for a cdrom and works with kick1.2+
I think thats too expensive. Wouldn't worry too much about compatibility with WHDLoad.
Old 17 August 2012, 20:41   #9
bdb

I think you are asking too much of an A500; you can get an ON-OFF speed boost with a few (2 I can think of) accelerators, but these days nothing from 25 years ago is cheap. The "fast ram" option from Jens for the A1200 fits the compatibility issue. If you just want to play games then use Amiga Forever or WinUAE. They are inexpensive, run on cheap hardware, configurable, and easy to come by. Retro gaming on retro hardware (in fact almost anything on retro hardware) requires time, money, hardwork, and bloodshed.

Last edited by bdb; 17 August 2012 at 20:43. Reason: Wording
Old 19 August 2012, 13:07   #10
Vollldo

@bdb: Hey mate, in french we would say "you arrive after the war" lol . But thanks for your help of course, you couldn't know that you are talking to someone who took years to do a wonderfull retro gaming room in his house.

I don't use WinUAE since years, except for testing the compatibility of certain files before transfering them. I don't like Whdload too, the people who know me here know why eh eh . It is called the "tic tic feeling".

And yes you are totally right, retro gaming on retro hardware requires a lot of time, money, hardwork, bloodshed, free space in your house too, and especially PASSION, a word that every amiga users know very well. I don't know how many people have a real massive retro gaming install on EAB (for sure there are some), but i am one of them, pround to be, and in the best position to understand what you are talking about .

But thank you for your help, here it is a very pleasant community, and the more opinion we have, the more we can advance. By the way, welcome to EAB, i see that you just subscribed ! Hope that this wondefull forum will bring you happiness and great moments, there are a lot of nice guys/girls here.

I never found the time to interest myself abut the different kind of accelerators, i have the habbit to pick up the minimum knowledge "just in time" when i need something. Days are 24 hours only unfortunatly...

The A530 seems an "ON-OFF" accelerator, so i don't think i am asking too much no ?