English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 January 2017, 03:17   #1
MoreBITS

Need help booting A1060 amiga 1000 pc sidecar

I am trying to get an old A1060 to boot up.

I have the original manual and one 3.5" floppy it's a commodore original floppy labeled Amiga Workbench 1.2 with a little white sticker that reads "sidecar install disk rev. A"

The floppy label looks like a standard workbench lebel with the additional little white sticker.

There is a hard drive in the side car that makes all the normal sounds that would lead you to believe its booting something up although I'm not sure what's actually on it at this point.

According to the sidecar user guide:
Turn on sidecar with amiga connected to sidecar power connector and via side expansion port
Amiga switch should be left on.
Keyboard is connected per usual
Mouse connected to pass through on front of side car.
Boot amiga from kickstart 1.2
I have the original ks 1.2 from the amiga.
Boots to insert workbench icon
User guide the. Says to insert "sidecar disk"
I don't have a disk with this label, but the amiga will boot with the above mentioned workbench disk.

The guide says to then double click the "sidecar disk icon"

The icon I have is "install"

I can navigate to a PC drawer and open "PC mono" or "PC color"

Opening either results in the following error at the top of the workbench screen title bar:
Error while opening :PC/PCWindow: 205

I believe I might be missing a disk on the amiga side and I know I am missing the dos disks for the sidecar side.

Should I be able to get a PC screen of some kind fromwhat I have described?

I can boot the amiga from a gotek so if anyone can help me track down the right adf disks that would be awesome if that's what I need.
Old 18 January 2017, 04:11   #2
puppypc

Second link on the FTP thread is a link to its search engine: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633

search "sidecar" and it looks like the System disk is up there.
Old 18 January 2017, 04:44   #3
Khyron

You're looking for the "Janus" disk.. it's pretty much the same for the 1060 and the 2088 bridge-boards.. googling should find it easy enough..

Hard drive might have MSDOS already installed, and probably an Amiga partition as well..
Old 18 January 2017, 14:50   #4
MoreBITS

Thanks guys I will download those files and give it another go tonight. Not sure where I got the ftp link before but I could t find the ftp search ;(

What should the proper sequence be?
Power both up
Insert kick start
Insert sidecar disk
Open either PC mono or color?
Old 18 January 2017, 16:39   #5
croupier

If I recall correctly you should pay attention on what is turned-on first....not sure if the A1000 or the A1060...there is a line about this in the manual....there's a purpose for having the A1000 powered via the A1060 (the power cable from a1060 has to power the A1000)....the idea is to have both machines powered up when turning on the A1060....(so the A1000 power button is always on)...

Not sure if the Janus disks for the Amiga are bootable....If you cannot boot from the Janus disks (i.e. after the KickStart disk is loaded and the hand with the disk and WB version is shown) than you need to boot with the WorkBench (WB) disk and when the desktop is loaded change the disk with Janus one and start the PC mono/color from that disk....if you don't have any extra RAM just play with the mono version....is also faster....

Maybe it would be good to get a kickstart 1.3 disk and also the WB1.3 for the A1000...and try to 'istall' the janus software on one WB1.3 copy....I think that the booting disk must have Janus driver installed in the 'Expansion' folder...otherwise the A1060 will not boot-up the PC side...

Been a while when I played with my A1060....still on the 'to-do' list...
Old 18 January 2017, 23:08   #6
Magic

I have an A1000<--> A1060 setup. You must power on the A1060 first and then the A1000 second like he says above ^^^. My A1060 had power supply issues that I had to resolve before it would run if that helps.
Old 05 May 2017, 19:52   #7
scuzz

Hi

Just picked up on this thread as I am issues with my 1060. In respect of power you run the pass through from the 1060 to the back of the Amiga. That way the power from the sidecar comes from the 1060 when switched on. ALWAYS switch the Amiga 1000 on first, though nothing will happen until you power up the Amiga 1060.

Next you boot from the Kickstart and your Workbench disk and then use the software to create a special Sidecar boot disk. This was strange for me cus it fails to tell you to create a second backup Workbench disk and use this during the create process to add files so you can boot a special Workbench disk.

When you have created the special Workbench disk when you boot the Amiga 1000 you will see that the Workbench is now the sidecar version.

From my manual ... this is where the problems start for me. There is power to the 1060 but there is no disk activity. I click the PC Mono version on the Amiga and I get an error saying cannot read library. Problem from the manual says its a hardware issue check cables etc.

I do not have a DOS disk or 5.25" disk and I have not seen anything in the manual for checking to see if the disk drive is working or not.

So two questions....

01: How do I create the boot 5.25" floppy disk that the 1060 should have come with.

02: Is there any way to check if the disk drive is working. Like the old Load "$",8 on the C64 with the 1541.

At the moment I may actually have a dead 5.25". Just don;t know how to check it.

scuzz
Old 06 May 2017, 11:46   #8
scuzz

All the sidecar needed was a stiff brush. A little technique I learned trying to recover Amstrad CPCs and their interfaces. I split the Amiga 1060 from the 1000 and then gave the connector both male and female a stiff brushing. I reconnected and the result was immediate. When I booted from the Sidecar 3.5" Boot Disk I received a very pleasant mobile phone style ring from the sidecar as both 5.25" and 3.5" drives sprang into life. And then when I clicked the PC folder icon for the PC I got another high pitched ding as the floppies again flicked into life and the following screen appeared

Commodore Sidecar BIOS 2.06

LPT 1 at 0378h
RAM 256 KBytes OK

Janus Handler V2.20
found at segment E000

Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and press any key

So job done . The sidecar is working I just need a DOS disk that is supported off the sidecar. So I can power down, put the dust cover on and go in search of a DOS disk. If anyone has a spare 5.25" 1060 system disk then I obviously would be very interested.

Onwards as they say. She's alive.
http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/amiga_scuzz548.htm

scuzz
http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/car_001.htm
Old 03 July 2017, 01:28   #9
scuzz

To my 1060 buddy that has helped so much this was the answer ....

Hi

I have successfully managed to make the Amiga 1060 work... This is what I did. [ response to my 1060 buddy ]

Hi

I got the sidecar working.. This is what you do.

01: Download from that link that ' YOU' gave me the files that you need for the 1060. If you need copies of the correct file I can send you an ADF. The disk I created is from YOUR link and NOT the Amiga Resource site. Your link to me.
02: Take the ADF file which on my computer reads A1060~1.ADF from a PC Formatted disk and use ADFBlitzer or what ever you use to create a DD floppy disk. I normally copy files to RAM from a PC disk using DOpus.
03: The disk that you create will be labelled A1060 WB 1.2D.
04: CHANGE the label of that disk to Workbench 1.2
Don't forget that there is a space between 'h and 1.2'
05: Connect the Sidecar and the power supply to the back of the Amiga 1000. Make sure the Amiga 1000 is switched on before you power up the 1060.
06: Switch on the 1060
07: Insert the 1.2 Kickstart disk when requested.
08: When you are asked for the Workbench disk use the disk you just labelled Workbench 1.2
09: During the boot sequence you will hear a high pitched noise as the Sidecar is communicated with.
10: You should then be asked to set the date and time at a blue screen.
11: Finally you get an A > prompt.
12: I then put in a DOS 5.25" floppy in the 1060 and typed in DIR and then like magic the Sidecar kicked in and read the 5.25" floppy.

The bottom line is that the emulator runs from the Amiga. It is the Amiga that fires up the 1060 and so you don't need anything on the 1060 side to make the magic work. What you do then is run DOS and any MS based application from the JANUS software on the Amiga.

I am not sure if this was a fluke as I have not retried as yet. I took photographs of the screen and can send them to you.

Hope that helps.

scuzz
Old 03 July 2017, 01:54   #10
scuzz

See my previous mail

Sorry: UPDATE ... I MISSED SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT

During the boot sequence you should hear a sound like an old phone ringing and the screen will show Sidecar Workbench V1.2
13: When you have booted into Workbench Screen you will see the Workbench 1.2 icon.
14: Click this and open the PC drawer and click the PC Mono icon. During boot the 1060 gives out a high pitched beep as it tried to access the 5.25" disk. It is then it asks for the date and the time.
15: YOU DO NEED MS DOS in the 1060 on a floppy disk or you will get an error message. I used MS DOS 3.10 Start-up Disk(Com).
16: Input Date and Time and you will be given the A> prompt

DIR gave
Volume in Drive A is DOS STARTUP
Directory of A:\ COMMAND COM 22773 11-04-85

scuzz