English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 07 April 2009, 22:46   #1
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Amberstar v1.73 German - Errors

Just tried to install the game to disks from Amberstar v1.73 German, found it on Magix FTP. Firstable the disk labels are wrong. The disks should be namend

Quote:
Amber*_A
Amber*_B
Amber*_C
and not
Quote:
Amberstar_A
Amberstar_B
Amberstar_C
Also i noticed that there are read errors on disk A. The Thalion character maker cancels during the copy process to disk A with a read error message.

Then i tested the disk to disk install with the original IPF images and there were no errors.
Old 19 June 2009, 15:33   #2
stemokrates

Hi.

I just ended uo with the same problem. Disk A seems to have an read/write error. I got it right, that IPF files are copy-protected images? If thats the case, I guess that they cant be downloaded somewhere?

Thing is, I wanted to play Amberstar from HD with WinUAE, but I am not able to find a german version (I prefer the original language of the game) to
A: install Amberstar on HD
and
B: create and customize my own character

If it cant be helped, Id also play the english version, most important for me is to be able to install the game and to make my own character.

Can anyone help me out there?

Old 19 June 2009, 15:37   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Amberstar disks are not copy protected.

I have uninstalled versions of the disks on my website.

The English versions I created from my disks, the German versions were downloaded from elsewhere and could have errors but I dunno.

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/...s/credits.html
Old 19 June 2009, 15:42   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The German version installable and with the character customization can be found on the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) in the folder 'TOSEC/Games/[ADF]/A'. Look for these files stemokrates :

Amberstar v1.73 (1992)(Thalion)(De)(Disk 1 of 3)[FD-HD].zip
Amberstar v1.73 (1992)(Thalion)(De)(Disk 2 of 3)[FD-HD].zip
Amberstar v1.73 (1992)(Thalion)(De)(Disk 3 of 3)[FD-HD].zip
(credits go to Retro-Nerd for the info )
Old 19 June 2009, 16:30   #5
stemokrates

Thanks for your fast help.

@ alexh
I already tried the german amberstar version on your webshrine and found out that this one is the "predefined character version".
By the way, your website made my day - and somehow spoiled my girlfriends day (week?) - when I rediscovered Ambermoon for myself a few days ago.
So big thanks for that.

@TheCyberDruid
Looked up your link and, tadaa, this version is installable and the character is customizable.
Thanks!
I couldnt get it to run by now (clicking on the Amberstar icon just wont start the game) but Im sure a bit a trying around with the WinUAE preferences will do the trick.

Thanks again!

Old 19 June 2009, 17:45   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

@TCD

Strange that the disk images from Magix works now. They are dated 27.02.2009. I tested and suggested to use the IPFs in the end. Or do you made new ADF's from the IPF images.
Old 19 June 2009, 18:38   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just checked it again and can't install the game. Sorry about the misinfo I'm a bit stumped that stemokrates seems to be able to install it.
Old 19 June 2009, 18:40   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Or do you made new ADF's from the IPF images.
You cannot play the game from the original Amberstar disks... you MUST install to three new disks (or HD).
Old 19 June 2009, 18:40   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You should copy the IPFs with X-Copy, then you have proper ADF images for TOSEC.

Quote:
You cannot play the game from the original Amberstar disks... you MUST install to three new disks.
Read my first post. That's what i've done. I'm aware of this.
Old 19 June 2009, 19:10   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
You should copy the IPFs with X-Copy, then you have proper ADF images for TOSEC.
That's a very good idea! Did that and installed the game without problems from the ADFs Uploaded the disks to the EAB file server in the folder 'Games/rare_games/Games (De)'.
Old 19 June 2009, 19:20   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Sweet.
Old 20 June 2009, 12:38   #12
stemokrates

Ups, I didnt even notice that I was downloading the very files Retro_Nerd found to be malfunctioning. Found my first installable Amberstar disks while doing a google search for "Amberstar v1.73" and then discovered this thread here.

Anyway, I installed/deleted the Magix version around 5 times (with having success three out of five) with different CPU/RAM preferences. One setting got me a guru meditation, another one a read error on disk one.
Reason I tried it so many times was that Amberstar simply didnt start up, when I started the game via the the Amberstar icon.

So it seems that your preferences have to do something with the adf files working or not (strange as it is).

Even so, I have Amberstar running now with the adf files provided by Magix. I worked around the startup problem by copying the whole game into my mounted PC HD. I simply didnt get it to run with the HDF file I created via WinUAE (altough Ambermoon, for instance, is running there), regardless of my CPU/RAM settings.

Strange, that you are not able to use these adf files as they are.

Old 20 June 2009, 12:46   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemokrates View Post
So it seems that your preferences have to do something with the adf files working or not (strange as it is).
Since the version you installed with the installer didn't work, it seems there is still something wrong Anyway, the fresh disks work fine with the default installer on both a mounted PC folder or an HDF.
Old 20 June 2009, 14:33   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Amberstar was created before the introduction of cpu caches. It is full of self modifying code. You need to run without caches.

Same goes for the HD install.