English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 November 2009, 09:38   #1
ruffian

adf to floppy help needed

I am using a 1200 and a workbench 3 disk. I have followed a tutorial on adf to floppy but I'm still struggling.

I have an adf as .rar on floppy disk. I can read this disk on the 1200.

I have lha_68020 in the C directory (does this need to be renamed to just 'lha'?) on the workbench disk and also adfblitzer.lha in the utilities drawer.

I am unsure how to unarchive adfblitzer, the adf and subsequently unpack the adf onto a floppy.

The workbench disk is 100% full so when I unarchive adfblitzer and presumably replace adfblitzer.lha with it I may run into problems?

I know i need a command line from the dosprompt something like

lha -e <location> <file> <destination> <file>

and that the RAM disk will need to be involved. Problems with HD which i've asked about in a separate post so this is the only option at the moment. Any help appreciated.
Old 13 November 2009, 11:04   #2
Graham Humphrey

Yes, you should rename your lha file to just lha. Also note that you'll need to unarchive the adf image before you can read it with UnRAR or something like that. Or archive it with Zip or lha instead.

The correct syntax for lha in your case would be:

lha e df0:adfblitzer.lha ram:

(Assuming you are usng df0: and not pc0: or something else.)

Your best bet would be to copy it to a separate floppy, or alternatively use a copy of your Workbench disk and delete the utilities etc off it so you can make space for ADFBlitzer.
Old 13 November 2009, 11:08   #3
thomas

Quote:
I have an adf as .rar on floppy disk. I can read this disk on the 1200.
Neither Lha nor ADFBlitzer can read RAR archives. You should unpack the archive and repack it as LHA or LZH.

Quote:
I have lha_68020 in the C directory (does this need to be renamed to just 'lha'?)
The name of the file is the name of the command you have to enter. So lha_68020 is perfectly ok, but just lha is less typing.

Quote:
I am unsure how to unarchive adfblitzer
lha_68020 x adfblitzer.lha ram:

will unpack the ADFBlitzer archive into the RAM disk.

Quote:
lha -e <location> <file> <destination> <file>
Just enter lha (or lha_68020) without arguments to get the help displayed.

Generally it is

lha x archive files destination

"files" is optional and "destination" has to end with : or /, otherwise it is interpreted as file.
Old 13 November 2009, 11:39   #4
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Yes, you should rename your lha file to just lha. Also note that you'll need to unarchive the adf image before you can read it with UnRAR or something like that. Or archive it with Zip or lha instead.

The correct syntax for lha in your case would be:

lha e df0:adfblitzer.lha ram:

(Assuming you are usng df0: and not pc0: or something else.)

Your best bet would be to copy it to a separate floppy, or alternatively use a copy of your Workbench disk and delete the utilities etc off it so you can make space for ADFBlitzer.
Thanks I will try that, i've obviously made the mistake of archiving my adf as rar. Might have to put adfblitzer on a separate floppy as you suggest as I have deleted the utilities off and its at exactly 100% with adfblitzer.lha and 68020_lha which I will rename to lha. But then if adfblitzer is on a separate disk, that will require more disk swapping when unpacking adfs? Actually, both of those files are currently in utilities drawer not c drawer as I wasn't sure...but lha (when ive renamed) has to be put into the c drawer?
Old 13 November 2009, 11:42   #5
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Neither Lha nor ADFBlitzer can read RAR archives. You should unpack the archive and repack it as LHA or LZH.

The name of the file is the name of the command you have to enter. So lha_68020 is perfectly ok, but just lha is less typing.

lha_68020 x adfblitzer.lha ram:

will unpack the ADFBlitzer archive into the RAM disk.

Just enter lha (or lha_68020) without arguments to get the help displayed.

Generally it is

lha x archive files destination

"files" is optional and "destination" has to end with : or /, otherwise it is interpreted as file.
So renaming is just for ease of use? Does x refer to a choice of letters (as in e for extract from the previous post) or is x actually a command, I'm sorry I'm not sure!
Old 13 November 2009, 11:49   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
So renaming is just for ease of use?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Does x refer to a choice of letters (as in e for extract from the previous post) or is x actually a command, I'm sorry I'm not sure!
e extracts files and x does the same with full paths.
LHA doesn't have to be in c to work, but it's a good idea to put it there nonetheless
Old 13 November 2009, 11:50   #7
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Yes.

LHA doesn't have to be in c to work, but it's a good idea to put it there nonetheless

Ah, I see, thanking you!
Old 13 November 2009, 13:11   #8
Kitty

I don't understand why people go to such lengths to get an adf to floppy, you own a Amiga 1200 with a PCMCIA port, why not just invest in a EasyADF PCMCIA Compact Flash Transfer Kit from AmigaKit.com. £13.99 is a small price to pay for this excellent piece of kit and a 1GB compact Flash card on ebay for less than £10, this would be a lot less hassle and an easier alternative.
Just my 2 cents
Old 13 November 2009, 13:16   #9
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
IMHO e does the same as x. I never got it to do something different.
Old 13 November 2009, 13:18   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, that's what the help text says. I only use x, so I don't know how e works.
Old 15 November 2009, 09:24   #11
ruffian

All of a sudden i have run into a new problem. Everytime I try to transfer a file from pc0: in the amiga drive it comes up with error=25 data crc error, no matter what disk I use. On googling this, the suggestion is that, if all disks now report this error, the floppy drive in the amiga is broken, though it worked fine before, or it is having trouble as it cannot properly magnetise HD disks, which i am formatting to 720k in the pc floppy drive.

Or sometimes I will get the msg of a problem allocating file system in pc0: when i try to transfer.

Any ideas?!
Old 15 November 2009, 20:33   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi ruffian,

It sounds like your Amiga's floppy drive is having problems with DSHD floppies formatted to 720K. This is not unusual. Have you tried using DSDD disks?
Old 15 November 2009, 21:39   #13
Graham Humphrey

Or alternatively, have you also tried putting a bit of sellotape over the hole on the left-hand side of the disk? This can work too.
Old 16 November 2009, 08:28   #14
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi ruffian,

It sounds like your Amiga's floppy drive is having problems with DSHD floppies formatted to 720K. This is not unusual. Have you tried using DSDD disks?
Everything WAS working fine with (brand new) DSHD floppies formatted to 720k, with sellotape over the whole, then suddenly I couldn't copy anything over on the amiga, CRC errors every time with every disks. DSDD disks are hard to come by, at least in this area.
Old 16 November 2009, 11:15   #15
thomas

Try to format the disks on the Amiga (in PC format, PC0) before you use them on the PC.
Old 16 November 2009, 11:45   #16
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Try to format the disks on the Amiga (in PC format, PC0) before you use them on the PC.
I didn't realise I could format them in PC format on the amiga. I don't need any extra fileS on the workbench disk to do this, other than format itself (and PC0 which is already in the devs draw)?

I did try to format them on the pc via dos in case it was a windows problem but same result, CRC errors on attempting to transfer any file to the amiga.
Old 16 November 2009, 12:15   #17
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post
Although lha can't unpack rar archives unrar can.
I did figure out how to pack adfs as lha, though I'm not sure lha_6802 was working properly and I was going to put lha_6800 on the WB instead but now I've run into this brick wall of crc errors on transferring anything to the amiga.

I will try the previous suggestion of formatting the 2DHD disks in the Amiga rather than the PC if they can be formatted as PC0. Failing that, I could swap the floppy drive in the 600 for the one in the 1200.
Old 16 November 2009, 12:22   #18
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I have done this before but its a lot of work for very little, the EasyADF PCMCIA Compact adapter will give you much better results and can be used as a HD.
If you create a Blank DMS for WinUae you can the copy your ADF to this and UnDMS on your Amiga.
Old 16 November 2009, 12:32   #19
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
I have done this before but its a lot of work for very little, the EasyADF PCMCIA Compact adapter will give you much better results and can be used as a HD.
If you create a Blank DMS for WinUae you can the copy your ADF to this and UnDMS on your Amiga.
I agree, its been a lot of work for absolutely NO reward so far! Though I have learnt quite a bit in the process. Please see my posts about EasyADF as I'm confused about the process of getting adfs onto the card from the PC, though I reckon I'd have no problem after that, after watching the EasyADF tutorials on youtube.
Old 16 November 2009, 12:39   #20
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Something like this should allow you to get the ADFs on to the CF from your Pc.
http://www.mx2.co.uk/default.asp?par...MX2-GoogleBase