English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 23 August 2006, 21:47   #1
Secret Vampire

Sensible price for A4000 accelerators? and does anyone have one?

I need something better for my A4000, right now it's got a slightly overclocked A3640 (which seems to be upsetting some of the chipset timing, but I can't remember where I put the 50MHz oscillator to test). I really need something faster, with more RAM, and ideally SCSI and 060. I don't have any need or desire for PPC, which is fortunate, as I can't afford a CSPPC

So what are reasonable prices? I just saw a CS MKIII 060 go for £225 on eBay, which seems a bit on the high side given the price Blizzard PPCs sell for (in the sane normal world anyway, not bizarro eBay land) and there's a MKII 060 coming up in 7 days that I might bid on. Alternatively, I might be able to get a couple of 'untested' cyberstorms (MkI 060 and MkII 040) though I'm somewhat hesitant as it involves expensive shipping from the US, and expensive customs charges also no doubt, though I can probably make the money back selling to some other idiot^Whopeful repairer on ebay as broken cards, or maybe get Amiga repair centre to work some magic on them (though I suspect the costs would make it uneconomical for anything non-PPC).

Does anyone have one going for sale? I really do want to move up to an 060, but I'd take a decent 040 (like a cyberstorm with SCSI or warp engine) if the price was right.
Old 23 August 2006, 21:54   #2
keropi

oh good luck... I got my csppc for 540euro....
try to ask at www.efunzine.pl ...
Old 23 August 2006, 21:55   #3
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Vampire
I need something better for my A4000, right now it's got a slightly overclocked A3640 (which seems to be upsetting some of the chipset timing, but I can't remember where I put the 50MHz oscillator to test). I really need something faster, with more RAM, and ideally SCSI and 060. I don't have any need or desire for PPC, which is fortunate, as I can't afford a CSPPC

So what are reasonable prices? I just saw a CS MKIII 060 go for £225 on eBay, which seems a bit on the high side given the price Blizzard PPCs sell for (in the sane normal world anyway, not bizarro eBay land) and there's a MKII 060 coming up in 7 days that I might bid on. Alternatively, I might be able to get a couple of 'untested' cyberstorms (MkI 060 and MkII 040) though I'm somewhat hesitant as it involves expensive shipping from the US, and expensive customs charges also no doubt, though I can probably make the money back selling to some other idiot^Whopeful repairer on ebay as broken cards, or maybe get Amiga repair centre to work some magic on them (though I suspect the costs would make it uneconomical for anything non-PPC).

Does anyone have one going for sale? I really do want to move up to an 060, but I'd take a decent 040 (like a cyberstorm with SCSI or warp engine) if the price was right.
Prices on CS MKIII's are often high because it's one of the fastest '060 accelerators and it has the fastest SCSI controller (40mb/s)
But I think you can settle with a CS MKII '040 or better along with the CyberSCSI module which is a nice addition, €120-180 is what a CS MKII '040 can go for on Ebay under normal circumstanses...
You have to get use to that A3000/A4000 accelerators are more expensive and sought after because they are more rare compared to A1200 accelerators
Old 23 August 2006, 22:08   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Unfortunately there are no cheap A4000 accelerators. The best choice is to find someone with a broken one who will part with it on the cheap and send it to Amiga Repair Center in France

I wanted to get into repairing CS MKIII's and CSPPC's here in the UK but so far no-one has offered to sell me a broken one so that I can familiarise myself with the faults.
Old 24 August 2006, 01:26   #5
Secret Vampire

Keropi: I had a look, but they had nothing in stock right now

Amigaz: I kind of new about the high prices when I got the machine, but the stuff on ebay seems to be going for far more than it did 8 months ago. a MKII 040 is probably a good choice, as I can at least upgrade it to an 060 at a later date. The problem then becomes one of actually finding one.

alexh: The problem with broken ones is that people seem to be unwilling to part with them cheaply, presumably because they paid a lot for them when they worked. It does need to be very cheap too, since you have no idea how much it's going to cost to get amiga repair center to work on it until after you've bought it and sent it off. Might be worth popping over to Amibench though, as someone posted a want ad for a CSPPC/MkIII since his PPC died - he might be willing to sell it on.
Old 24 August 2006, 09:02   #6
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Vampire
Keropi: I had a look, but they had nothing in stock right now

Amigaz: I kind of new about the high prices when I got the machine, but the stuff on ebay seems to be going for far more than it did 8 months ago. a MKII 040 is probably a good choice, as I can at least upgrade it to an 060 at a later date. The problem then becomes one of actually finding one.

alexh: The problem with broken ones is that people seem to be unwilling to part with them cheaply, presumably because they paid a lot for them when they worked. It does need to be very cheap too, since you have no idea how much it's going to cost to get amiga repair center to work on it until after you've bought it and sent it off. Might be worth popping over to Amibench though, as someone posted a want ad for a CSPPC/MkIII since his PPC died - he might be willing to sell it on.
I know what you mean, seems like there's a high-price-season on Ebay at the moment...best season is in the mid summer when people are on vacation but there's less stuff for sale then
About the '040, JJ at Amigacenter in FRance can always upgrade it later on to a full 68060 and maybe he has a 68060 with the latest mask which more heat tolerant so you can overclock it
Old 24 August 2006, 13:17   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

To be honest, the MK3 cyberstorm for 225£ is a good price realistically. howmuch ram did it have onboard?

I eventually paid 225£ (inc p+p) for my MK2 CS060it had 96MB of ram onboard (now has 128MB)
Old 27 August 2006, 17:02   #8
Secret Vampire

I don't recall how much RAM the MKIII had, and deleted the link from my ebay since then.

Anyway, the postscript to all this is, I completely ignored what I said regarding not wanting a PPC, and prefering an 060 over 040. I just won a CSPPC 200/040 with 96MB on eBay, for the bargain price of 278 euro (Just under £205 with shipping).
Fingers crossed that it actually works :P
Old 19 February 2010, 16:34   #9
Brosol
Brosol

What would be a good price for a 68060 50MHZ MKII, 96MB for my A3000D these days?
Old 19 February 2010, 22:43   #10
MagerValp

Lately sales have been in the €250-300 range.