English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 11 June 2017, 22:31   #1241
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Just wanted to give a heads up of my Diagrom, at the githib https://github.com/ChuckyGang/DiagROM Developmentbranch I just sent a new code with a total rewritten autoconfig that should handle Z2, Z3 etc etc. for a more "manual" test of the TF530 etc.
Stuck at a hotel for some days. so I guess I will implement the cache stuff plasmab did aswell.
You swine.. I just pushed your last set of updates into the Atari ST version :P

Thanks for the updates.
Old 11 June 2017, 22:49   #1242
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Hi folks,
wanna ask some advice, have problem with my Xilinx programmer..
if i choose "Initialize chain", it finds both IC's, but also 30 other unknown devices, and flashing chips is not possible.. It worked flawlessly on Rev.2, wondering what can be wrong?
regards,
Viktor
Old 11 June 2017, 23:03   #1243
plasmab
Banned

1. Check voltages,
2.try shorting the bypass jumper and see what gives.
3.desolder ram cpld

i've never seen issues with the jtag chain so cant really give advise from experience.
Old 11 June 2017, 23:20   #1244
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Hi folks,
if i choose "Initialize chain", it finds both IC's, but also 30 other unknown devices, and flashing chips is not possible.. It worked flawlessly on Rev.2, wondering what can be wrong?
regards,
Viktor
If your Xilinx programmer is of the cheap Chinese Digilink knock-offs, you'll need to download Digilink Adept and install the plugins for it. It is a matter of copying them in to a folder underneath C:\.Xilinx and selecting that unit under "Cable Setup." Mine is such an interface, and although it appeared to somewhat work with the default settings, I was never able to program or obtain consistent chains.

... or you've got some bridges in those cpld joints.

Hope that helps.
Old 11 June 2017, 23:34   #1245
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
If your Xilinx programmer is of the cheap Chinese Digilink knock-offs, you'll need to download Digilink Adept and install the plugins for it. It is a matter of copying them in to a folder underneath C:\.Xilinx and selecting that unit under "Cable Setup." Mine is such an interface, and although it appeared to somewhat work with the default settings, I was never able to program or obtain consistent chains.

... or you've got some bridges in those cpld joints.

Hope that helps.
Yes, indeed it's a chep chinese clone! Just didn't realized it's so picky, i have built some PLA's for C64 last week, and was able to program them without any problem. I just rechecked the board under scope - no solder blobs, no shorts on it, voltage between jtag ground and vcc is exacly 3.3v..
will try to install Digilent Adept now. Thanks for that hint!
Old 11 June 2017, 23:40   #1246
EzdineG

Quote:
Yes, indeed it's a chep chinese clone! Just didn't realized it's so picky, i have built some PLA's for C64 last week, and was able to program them without any problem. I just rechecked the board under scope - no solder blobs, no shorts on it, voltage between jtag ground and vcc is exacly 3.3v..
What you will realize is that there will be chips you can program, erase and verify - and then those that will only program - and then those you can only erase. It's a crap shoot with these knock offs.

If all else fails, switch to svf mode and then play that back in Adept. Perhaps you'll have more luck with there.
Old 11 June 2017, 23:45   #1247
EzdineG

Quote:
system now GURU's repeatedly and I get random memory test failures (see attached.)
@plasmab
I've obtained a PAL 500+, and these memory issues don't occur. Out of 3 test subjects, this only affects the NTSC units. It's possible there are other factors, but could that actually be a thing?

Still testing,
Thanks.
Old 11 June 2017, 23:59   #1248
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
@plasmab
I've obtained a PAL 500+, and these memory issues don't occur. Out of 3 test subjects, this only affects the NTSC units. It's possible there are other factors, but could that actually be a thing?

Still testing,
Thanks.
Very curious.

I'm testing on an STFM at the moment.. I cant get the speed past 40Mhz. Very strange.
Old 12 June 2017, 00:13   #1249
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Very curious.

I'm testing on an STFM at the moment.. I cant get the speed past 40Mhz. Very strange.
Already a win in my book.

I've both a PAL 520STE and NTSC 520STFM at my disposal. I'm pretty sure the NTSC unit has the dip 68000; I can order some > 40mhz crystals if you need another pair of eyes.
Old 13 June 2017, 01:35   #1250
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

This isnt a pushy post (I hope it is not), hows the TF534 coming ?
Old 13 June 2017, 08:38   #1251
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
This isnt a pushy post (I hope it is not), hows the TF534 coming ?

I'm snowed under at work and in desperate need of a holiday... 5 days off since Xmas.... so slowly. I have a weekend without wife and kid later this month so I may get it routed then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2017, 11:40   #1252
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
I'm snowed under at work and in desperate need of a holiday... 5 days off since Xmas.... so slowly. I have a weekend without wife and kid later this month so I may get it routed then.

Cool, thanks for that.

My $8 68030/40mhz arrived, it looks like a pull from a Macintosh..

That was a once off fluke I think from ebay, instead of all the crap from China (for a change).

http://imgur.com/a/KGYPQ
Old 13 June 2017, 19:09   #1253
spannernick
Retro Nuts

This might get me to use my A500 board I have in the wardrobe,its a computer wardrobe,all my computer stuff is in it..
Old 14 June 2017, 00:06   #1254
Stedy

Quote:
will try to install Digilent Adept now. Thanks for that hint!
Hi,

Did you mean a Digilent clone?

The original Digilent Adept programming cables do not support the Xilinx XC95xx devices, so I doubt a clone will either. I found this out recently when I tried to program an old board with my official Digilent HS2 programmer. Previously I used an old Xilinx parallel cable on Win XP but that does not work with Windows 7!

.Recently purchased a Waveshare programmer from Amazon, works a treat
Old 14 June 2017, 00:13   #1255
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Hi,

Did you mean a Digilent clone?

The original Digilent Adept programming cables do not support the Xilinx XC95xx devices, so I doubt a clone will either. I found this out recently when I tried to program an old board with my official Digilent HS2 programmer. Previously I used an old Xilinx parallel cable on Win XP but that does not work with Windows 7!

.Recently purchased a Waveshare programmer from Amazon, works a treat

I have a Digilent clone and I can program XC95XX just fine. The only issue I have is "verify" doesn't work in the ISE, which is not a big deal as I can still compare checksums with the .jed files.
Old 14 June 2017, 00:59   #1256
Stedy

Quote:
Hi folks,
regards,
Viktor

Hi a bit of guidance from Xilinx may help:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/20558.html

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/13611.html

It sounds like a signal integrity issue. What programming software, programming cable and setup are you using?

Normally in Xilinx Impact you can set the programming speed. Goto Output->Cable Setup, let it detect your cable. Can you change the TCK Speed/Baud rate?

Dumb question, did you try swapping TDI/TDO around on the cable?
Old 14 June 2017, 14:20   #1257
keith

Hi I am just wondering with the rev3 & rev2 with the firmware at the moment if the firmware can run @ 50Mhz but if people find it hard to get thier hands on a 50Mhz cpu but have say a 33mhz cpu could you solder in a 33Mhz OSC crystal or a bit faster would it work with the corect current firmware or is it set / fixed limited to how long the delay is before talking back to the amiga.
Old 14 June 2017, 14:45   #1258
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Hi I am just wondering with the rev3 & rev2 with the firmware at the moment if the firmware can run @ 50Mhz but if people find it hard to get thier hands on a 50Mhz cpu but have say a 33mhz cpu could you solder in a 33Mhz OSC crystal or a bit faster would it work with the corect current firmware or is it set / fixed limited to how long the delay is before talking back to the amiga.

I have a makefile that will build everything... just need to figure one last part then I can automatically build 25, 33, 50 MHz firmwares and also ones with Atari IDE base addresses. Patience.

Old 14 June 2017, 15:59   #1259
dalek

Oh goodies I'm waiting on my order of 50MHz '030s and was hoping to get them running at their rated speed (after first testing with a much cheaper plastic one at lower freqs : )
Old 14 June 2017, 19:25   #1260
keith

Quote:
I have a makefile that will build everything... just need to figure one last part then I can automatically build 25, 33, 50 MHz firmwares and also ones with Atari IDE base addresses. Patience.

Hi Plasmab thanks, & as they say all good things come to those that wait! Top bloke thanks again!