frostwork

initial gentoo ebuild for fs-uae-0.9.7:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=403913
Old 15 February 2012, 17:42   #102
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kire_online View Post
Audio is good on 0.9.7, still yet to try 50Hz on Mac Mini hooked up to PAL 50Hz Plasma.
Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
Are you providing NTSC support? I have a macbook running Linux wich is totally unable to switch into 50Hz modes, and I'd like to see perfect sync with a near-60Hz mode
The next version will have an NTSC mode setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
You can vysnc a PAL system to 60HZ: in that case, the emulated system is INTERNALLY running at 50HZ but external timing is locked to 60HZ, thus making music sound faster and samples sound with a higher frequency.
Yes, this is correct, in this case, the Amiga game will think it is running on PAL@50hz, but will actually run 20% too fast (and it will affect audio as you noted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Just trying to understand why NTSC support is anything more than vsyncing at 60hz.
The big difference is that games can *detect* that they are running at 60Hz (well, they could if they would), and the internal Amiga chips are clocked a bit different.

In any case, neither NTSC mode or forcing full vsync is a magic wand to make PAL-only games (which I think are most of the games) scroll perfectly on 60hz displays. NTSC mode is appropriate for games that were designed for NTSC.

For PAL games, the only way to get perfect scrolling (without side-effects) is to hook up a 50Hz display (or 100Hz, when I add support for this). This is true for all Amiga emulators.
Old 15 February 2012, 19:48   #103
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Well, you *did* ask very nicely! Try this one (Universal build for both x86_64 and i386):
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...-macosx.tar.gz
(I do not know for certain if it works on 32-bit only Macs, because I don't have one).
It works superbly, thanks very much. The only downside is that the resource requirements send my feeble Mini into meltdown. I've been holding off on upgrading for a long time, though I think maybe I've just found a worthy reason to bite the bullet. It looks like you've cost me hundreds of pounds so I hope you're pleased with yourself!
Old 16 February 2012, 19:41   #104
Aequitas

The addition of the mem options work beautiful

Something else is driving me nuts though and i can't seem to figure it out ...

Code:
configuring joystick ports:
configuring joystick port 0 (Mouse)
fs_emu_configure_mouse
set option "joyport0" to "mouse" (result: 1)
configuring joystick port 1 (Keyboard)
set option "joyport1mode" to "cd32joy" (result: 1)
configure joystick "Keyboard" for "amigacd32"
did not match device #0 (WIRELESS 360 CONTROLLER)
matched device #1
config name "keyboard"
get system config for device: keyboard
read config for keyboard for amigacd32
no config for platform amigacd32
did not find config for device "keyboard"
set option "joyport1" to "joy1" (result: 1)
I've tried adding this section to keyboard.ini:

Code:
[amigacd32]
key_left = left
key_right = right
key_up = up
key_down = down
key_lctrl = 1
key_lshift = 1
It actually makes the error disappear however the keys still don't work ...

Code:
configuring joystick ports:
configuring joystick port 0 (Mouse)
fs_emu_configure_mouse
set option "joyport0" to "mouse" (result: 1)
configuring joystick port 1 (Keyboard)
set option "joyport1mode" to "cd32joy" (result: 1)
configure joystick "Keyboard" for "amigacd32"
did not match device #0 (WIRELESS 360 CONTROLLER)
matched device #1
config name "keyboard"
get system config for device: keyboard
read config for keyboard for amigacd32
set option "joyport1" to "joy1" (result: 1)
Any thoughts on what i'm doing wrong?

0.9.7 on snow leopard

( i've changed the rctrl and ralt to left in the config for amiga, controllermate doesn't make a distinction between those keys and they wouldn't work otherwise, keyboard works fine there now ).

Old 16 February 2012, 20:17   #105
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
I've tried adding this section to keyboard.ini:

Code:
[amigacd32]
key_left = left
key_right = right
key_up = up
key_down = down
key_lctrl = 1
key_lshift = 1
It actually makes the error disappear however the keys still don't work ...
For [amigacd32], you must map the following actions to keys:
left, right, up, down, red, green, yellow, blue, play, rewind, forward

e.g.
key_lctrl = red, not key_lctrl = 1

-Which reminds me to actually put in default keys for Amiga CD32 for the next version
Old 16 February 2012, 21:44   #106
Aequitas

Awesome! that fixed it

With that, another problem arises ... one that is less easy i think .. i'm having problems with "sticky" keys. I've tested both amiga and cd32 profiles and every few seconds at random a key gets "stuck". Pressing the same key again releases it. Tested on both snow leopard and lion. ( This only seems to happen when keeping a key pressed for a longer period, like moving right, after a second or 3 it gets stuck ).

I haven't seen anyone else with these problems so i'm not sure if it's on my end or actually a bug, any pointers?

Ow log file doesn't show anything regarding to the above issue, only some dropped frames ( allot actually )

Old 16 February 2012, 22:53   #107
Amiga1992

Quote:
Pressing the same key again releases it. Tested on both snow leopard and lion. ( This only seems to happen when keeping a key pressed for a longer period, like moving right, after a second or 3 it gets stuck ).
What software did this happen on? I get such issues on AGS on my real CD32.
Old 16 February 2012, 23:44   #108
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
i'm having problems with "sticky" keys. I've tested both amiga and cd32 profiles and every few seconds at random a key gets "stuck". Pressing the same key again releases it. Tested on both snow leopard and lion. ( This only seems to happen when keeping a key pressed for a longer period, like moving right, after a second or 3 it gets stuck ).
Haven't seen this problem... I see you refer to "ControllerMate", which seems to be some sort of input device remapping tool. Could the problem be related to this? Does the problem occur while just using the regular keyboard?

(Also, if some somehow are mapping multiple keyboard keys to virtual gamepad devices (which ControllerMate seems to be able to do - http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/), remember that keyboards are often limited in how many keys can be pressed simultaneously)
Old 17 February 2012, 00:22   #109
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Haven't seen this problem... I see you refer to "ControllerMate", which seems to be some sort of input device remapping tool. Could the problem be related to this? Does the problem occur while just using the regular keyboard?

(Also, if some somehow are mapping multiple keyboard keys to virtual gamepad devices (which ControllerMate seems to be able to do - http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/), remember that keyboards are often limited in how many keys can be pressed simultaneously)
I get this problem in WinUAE, but that was down to the keyboard I was using.
It was cheap and nasty, replaced with another and problem vanished.
Old 17 February 2012, 01:12   #110
Aequitas

Quote:

I'm not, that's the thing, at first i thought controllermate was the problem too since i use it to map keys to a gamepad, so i tossed it out the window and even when using a genuine apple keyboard it still behaves the same and even swapped that one for another giving the same results. Still suffers from "sticky" keys ... press a key for a few seconds and it gets stuck.

I've retested with both E-UAE and P-UAE and neither of those have the problem.

Done some more tests:
1 it happens only to directional keys.
2 pressing "fire" blocks other input, no directional keys work anymore

All inputs work separately but when combining keys, weird stuff happens ... this is on 0.9.7 with osx snow leopard. Tested both A1200 and CD32 profile, both behave the same in this regard.

EDIT: found the solution. I changed the ralt and rctrl keys to the left variant, that caused the problem. lctrl and lshift locked up everything as it seems. Tied it now to key_z and everything is dandy

Last edited by Aequitas; 17 February 2012 at 01:24. Reason: Found solution

Old 17 February 2012, 18:57   #111
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
found the solution. I changed the ralt and rctrl keys to the left variant, that caused the problem. lctrl and lshift locked up everything as it seems. Tied it now to key_z and everything is dandy
You are correct! There is a problem when using lctrl, lshift or lalt while using keyboard emulation. -Will fix this for 0.9.8.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 17 February 2012 at 23:35.
Old 18 February 2012, 00:58   #112
smuj

Excellent update to a fine emulator, Cheers.

I have a PS2 joypad to usb converter, attached is the ini file for it. Seems to work fine but not sure it's "correct".

Thx
Attached Files
File Type: 7z smartjoyplus.7z (538 Bytes, 160 views)
Old 18 February 2012, 11:06   #113
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuj View Post
Excellent update to a fine emulator, Cheers.
I have a PS2 joypad to usb converter, attached is the ini file for it. Seems to work fine but not sure it's "correct".
Thx
Looks like you did a good job there! I have added it to the 0.9.8 release which I'm pushing out now. -Thanks.
Old 18 February 2012, 11:30   #114
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 0.9.8 released

* Support for SmartJoyPlus/TigerGame PS/PS2 adapter (courtesy of smuj)
* Can specify less accurate emulation modes (for slower machines).
* Detect when xrandr lies about refresh rates (nVIDIA twinview).
* Fixed bug when using left crtl/alt/shift simultaneously with emulated keyboard.
* New suggested extension for configuration files (*.fs-uae)
* New default config file location: (My) Documents/FS-UAE/Configurations/Default.fs-uae
* New default dir for kickstarts: (My) Documents/FS-UAE/Kickstarts
* New default dir for save states: (My) Documents/FS-UAE/Save States
* Path expansion for paths beginning with $HOME/ or ~/
* Fixed crash when custom limits (autoscaling) rect was outside video size.
* New model configuration: "A1200/020" (can use Zorro III memory).
* New configuration value: zorro_iii_memory.
* Audio buffering tweaks.
* Clamp FSAA value to [0, 4] range.
* Virtual file system update (ported code from WinUAE).
* Mac OS X build is universal x86_64 + i386.

Binaries and source at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/
Old 18 February 2012, 15:47   #115
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Does anyone know why I can't get it to go into full screen mode in the Mac version? It expands the display to fill the screen, but my dock and window menu bar are still visible.
Old 18 February 2012, 16:23   #116
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Does anyone know why I can't get it to go into full screen mode in the Mac version? It expands the display to fill the screen, but my dock and window menu bar are still visible.
Fix posted: Version 0.9.8u2 for Mac OS X is posted at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/
The Info.plist file was corrupted. Thank you for reporting the problem (also reported by Hungry Horace).

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 18 February 2012 at 20:13.
Old 19 February 2012, 21:39   #117
Conundrum

Man, this might sound incredibly moronic, but I can't get the bloody thing to work. Tried every possible way to get the config file working, saved under UTF-8 as specified, but somehow it just loads the goddamn a500 default. Can someone please upload a simple working a1200 config file to stick on the emulator folder? I'm getting desperate here. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Old 19 February 2012, 22:44   #118
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Man, this might sound incredibly moronic, but I can't get the bloody thing to work. Tried every possible way to get the config file working, saved under UTF-8 as specified, but somehow it just loads the goddamn a500 default. Can someone please upload a simple working a1200 config file to stick on the emulator folder? I'm getting desperate here. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Sounds like my effort, all I get is nothing except a locked up up Mac..........
Old 19 February 2012, 23:41   #119
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Hi. The most likely explanation is that the config file is saved in the wrong place. The README file states where the file can be placed (and also, the log file indicates where FS-UAE looks for it on your system).

The README might be a bit misleading about one of the three possibilities of where to put it: "1. In the same directory as the FS-UAE executable, as fs-uae.conf." -On the Mac, this is not the directory containing the app bundle, -the executable is inside the app-bundle (in fs-uae.app/Contents/MacOS). Should probably add the directory containing the app bundle to the search path also (because that makes more sense on Macs, and to avoid confusion).

Anyway, as per the README, the simplest location is:
Documents/FS-UAE/Configurations/Default.fs-uae

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 19 February 2012 at 23:56.
Old 20 February 2012, 00:43   #120
Conundrum

Did that as well, with both .conf and .fs-uae extensions. Still nothing. And I'm running Windows XP btw.

One request I would actually like to ask for future versions, is to have the directories in the actual emulator folder. Personally I never liked it when emulators create their file directories in the Documents folder (something that even WinUAE does, unfortunately). I always found that to be bit messy. I think It's nicer to have everything inside the emulator folder, instead.