Old 03 November 2009, 16:27   #81
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

No it's fine

People just have strong views (mostly for Amiga) on the subject
Old 03 November 2009, 16:50   #82
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, interesting to hear that and I think the thread served it's purpose very well then Of course you get a biased point of view here (), but if you had a look at some of the games that were mentioned and you agree that some of them aren't mediocre, that isn't a bad 'result' at all.
Old 03 November 2009, 16:56   #83
Big-Byte
Long time member

Thundercats was pretty bad... One of the first games I played as it was on a Defjam CCS compilation. There was another game on one of the compilations featuring a woman in loin cloth with whip that was also quite bad but I still played it a lot at the time.

Beyond the Ice Palace was very good I remember and I really liked the music.
Old 03 November 2009, 16:59   #84
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Byte View Post
There was another game on one of the compilations featuring a woman in loin cloth with whip that was also quite bad but I still played it a lot at the time.
http://hol.abime.net/1590
Well this one is really mediocre
Old 03 November 2009, 17:11   #85
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
agreed.

just played Robocod for a decent stint for the first time in many many years, and have to say i think it still holds up as a really enjoyable game.
Just don't play it on the DS. What a load of carp!
Old 03 November 2009, 17:23   #86
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
What a load of carp!
One of the worst pun I have ever read!!!
Old 03 November 2009, 18:33   #87
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Just don't play it on the DS. What a load of carp!
most DS versions of old platformers are trash. Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble... pagh.

Some bits of NZS are passable, but there's a load of unneccessary extra thrown in there too.
Old 03 November 2009, 19:39   #88
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I do like Robocod, it's one of the better platformers on Amiga, but better than Mario...really?
Old 03 November 2009, 19:43   #89
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Horace is going to unleash now.

I personally agree, it's not better than the majority of Mario platform games.
Old 03 November 2009, 19:54   #90
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Not trying to start a flame war and I know it can't really 'go' anywhere, but I like discussing this stuff anyway
Old 03 November 2009, 20:45   #91
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

no unleashing. I just happen to think most Mario games suck.

I dont like the control or handling, the physics or even the game style.

That's just talking about the game itself. The nes/snes "culture" and the the Mario-generation are another matter I -really- dont want to discuss!

if i played it, i may even prefer Top Banana over Mario. And i'm allowed to
Old 03 November 2009, 21:48   #92
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
That's just talking about the game itself. The nes/snes "culture" and the the Mario-generation are another matter I -really- dont want to discuss!
I have to agree with you there The 'Nintendo generation' do seem to think that everything else is inferior.

Knobs!
Old 03 November 2009, 22:53   #93
Benighted
Amiga = Metal!

I just played Rainbow Island and I loved it. .. felt like saying that.
Old 04 November 2009, 07:05   #94
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
I have to agree with you there The 'Nintendo generation' do seem to think that everything else is inferior.

Knobs!

Hmm yeah it wasn't all good on Snes that's for sure but it generally had the best in each particular genre along with Megadrive - Amiga had it's own set of brilliant games that just wouldn't have suited console and i wouldn't have missed those gems for anything

All of these machines had great games on them so i'm glad i didn't miss the best from all the 16bits

Mario was and still is the best example of 2d platform perfection though

A lot of stuff on Amiga like Super Frog is comparable to a lot of stuff on Snes in that these games while not bad, don't really excell.The best of platform games on the Snes however, these are the ones that justify such a high opinion from people.As for people that show little appreciation towards Amiga, well that's just ignorant

Amiga kicks arse in other areas and also has some nice platformers of it's own - not better than Snes best but charming and decent to play

It's also worth pointing out how fantastic Amiga looks hooked up RGB to a crt compared to how very low res Snes looks for example.A 14" is incredibly crisp

So anyway, opinion yes of course with Mario, but it's so finely tuned concerning it's movement physics that it's hard to understand why it would get any criticism at all
Old 04 November 2009, 09:57   #95
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
So anyway, opinion yes of course with Mario, but it's so finely tuned concerning it's movement physics that it's hard to understand why it would get any criticism at all
i find it very easy to know why. I dont like said physics. They feel anything but "finely tuned".

time and time again i've gone back and tried various Mario games. Always the same result.

yes opinion again. that's the nature of this thread.
Old 04 November 2009, 17:22   #96
Zapp_Brannigan

I dont think that it looks so bad.

Games like Chuck Rock and Gods are also ported to the SNES and I actually like the Amiga versions more (and I am a SNES fan).
Old 04 November 2009, 20:04   #97
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
The best of platform games on the Snes however, these are the ones that justify such a high opinion from people.
I only agree with you as far as the Mario games. Every other platformer (I've seen) on the SNES is no better than examples on the Amiga, Megadrive etc.
Old 04 November 2009, 21:49   #98
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Thing is there is a lot of rubbish on Snes as well but can you honestly find something comparable to Zelda, Contra3, Castlevania4, Parodius, Actraiser, Cybernator, Mystical Ninjas, Secret of Mana, Donkey Kong Country? come on surely not

I had this same argument once before with a guy that reckoned Croc on PS1 to be just as good as Super Mario64 and that's absurd.It was clearly either his preference talking or that perhaps just looking at both titles does indeed show them to be seemingly the same

For me the Amiga wins hats down when it comes to the machine i love to game on most but really it's the only way you can apply this sort of opinion here - generally it was only the Amiga's own games that showed who was boss.Just about all games that were converted to Snes/Megadrive were fairly dire i thought and no subsitute for the real thing

I love just about all Amiga games as there is something very special in how they feel compared to that console feel, but despite these perfectly charming and playable games, Amiga's best shooters and platformers aren't the best examples of the genre - that's not to say it couldn't have produced them though

Personally i prefer playing lots of Amiga games over console ones and that's just because.But my preference for them doesn't blind me

Apidya for example is probably my fave shooter of all time but it's definitely not the best shooter out there of the 16bits, rather it suits my tastes

Opinion is fine i think so long as preference is also considered in this equation, otherwise i don't think it should apply.Something like this is more factual if actual game mechanics are taken into account.That leaves a person to their own personal opinion of course.You could make it even more crazy and say the doodle i just drew say, is in fact better than the Mona Lisa, and you wouldn't be wrong for having this opinion.You would however be laughed at

I mean some people's opinions are that Body Blows for example is better than something you will find on Console.And does that make that person wrong?.How might someone suggest that such an opinion when looked at in such a way to expose weakness of design or a simple lack of depth, is in fact fueled more likely by their preference more than anything

Can't say a person is wrong or right for what they consider the best of something but when all is considered, you can say their opinion might not be a great one

Most games look like they play the same from a glance - most fps for example are typically the same it seems - and i'd tend to agree that to be the case with a lot of Snes games.The best ones however don't have Amiga equals in the same way Snes and Megadrive games also couldn't match the best of what Amiga did so well

Amiga's best platformers matched up well enough though and even better in a few cases than the majority of Snes ones, i will say that - just not the very best of Snes
Old 04 November 2009, 21:57   #99
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

that post Adropac2 just sums up why i hate threads like these - even 'opinion' regarding where you draw the line between opinion and fact is too open to debate (and will never be settled)

the only bit i will comment on directly is;

Quote:
Something like this is more factual if actual game mechanics are taken into account. That leaves a person to their own personal opinion of course.
it cant be both opinion and "more factual".

Maybe Manic Miner has the best physics / control of any platformer? it's simple and ruthlessly logical, and therefore totally predictable to any level of player.
Old 04 November 2009, 22:03   #100
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Actually Manic Miner is right up there