English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 01 August 2015, 05:49   #601
earok

Hi Kloks, unfortunately I don't think you're going to have much luck. While it's possible to make some games use a joypad when they normally use a mouse (like Monkey Island or Dune II) using the "Fakemouse" utility, it's impossible to do so when WHDLoad is being used. If it's possible to load it from CD without WHDLoad it might be possible.
Old 01 August 2015, 11:15   #602
Kloks

So if I understand it right, it's not possible to fake the joypad in a mouse based game if it is a WHDLoad release? But it's possible to fake the joypad in a game that works with disks (ADF)?
If yes, It would be nice to learn if and how it's possible to make a game running as CD32 (or CDTV) game if it's on adf files. If I am not wrong I have seen that on the 160 Games Compilation, that some games was started from adf images.
Old 01 August 2015, 13:07   #603
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloks View Post
So if I understand it right, it's not possible to fake the joypad in a mouse based game if it is a WHDLoad release? But it's possible to fake the joypad in a game that works with disks (ADF)?
If yes, It would be nice to learn if and how it's possible to make a game running as CD32 (or CDTV) game if it's on adf files. If I am not wrong I have seen that on the 160 Games Compilation, that some games was started from adf images.
Yes, there are a handful of games that run from ADFs (such as FIFA), however fakemouse will only work if the game is programmed in a "system friendly" multitasking way. I had a quick look at "Rock N Roll" and that doesn't appear to be the case.

Edit: I tried a couple of different methods (including the "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE" hack, http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1021540 ) but I just haven't been able to get it to work with the joypad.

Last edited by earok; 01 August 2015 at 13:18.
Old 01 August 2015, 13:18   #604
Kloks

Oh that's a bumer. But if you could manage to make it possible to control rock'n roll with joypad it would be great. 10 years ago or something like that, I have installed an Amiga emulator on my Xbox Classic and it was default that you control the mouse with joypad. It felt so natural to play rock'n roll with joypad. I think with that it was one of the greatest strategy games I every played (with mouse it's also very good but it is stressfull after while).
Old 01 August 2015, 13:37   #605
earok

Ah, I see. The only thing I can think of is, if you've got the PSX Adapter by Paul Willingham you can make a PSX controller emulate a mouse on a real CD32 (it's the recommended solution for some of the Lemmings games and Cannon Fodder games that I haven't been able to get joypad support working for)
Old 01 August 2015, 14:01   #606
Kloks

Yeah, that is a solution, but I would like to have that everyone can have the same experience I had, when I play it 10 years ago and it is even more comfortable, if you sit on your sofa
Old 05 August 2015, 22:13   #607
spudje

Just got a CD32, so these releases interest me a lot. What is the staus regarding the virus? Is everything cleaned now? Or which ones are and can I get first?

Update: Never mind. Your website is pretty clear about the status. Amazing you've fixed so many already!

Last edited by spudje; 05 August 2015 at 23:46.
Old 09 August 2015, 14:08   #608
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Earok's CD32 game bonanza - Kloks' Megapack: Volume 1

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/0...-megapack.html
Old 09 August 2015, 14:10   #609
earok

@spudje Cheers I think we've only got about 10 left. I've been taking my time since I'm adding more bonuses etc to each one as I go.

Well anyway, we've launched @Kloks' mega collection of stand alone releases

Old 09 August 2015, 14:16   #610
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Old 10 August 2015, 00:19   #611
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

The Cover for FLASHHBACK is aweful !!
It simply dosent match the Original !

(like that crap "remake")

Great Art Design is Timeless !

But great news for CD32 users without any Fast-Ram and CF Card
Old 10 August 2015, 19:08   #612
Kloks

@earok: Thx for releasing my work. I still working on new single game releases. Sooner or later there will be a new collection.

A question? What makes it special for you to have Amiga Games on a CD32?
Old 10 August 2015, 23:30   #613
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
@earok: Thx for releasing my work. I still working on new single game releases. Sooner or later there will be a new collection.

CD32 is cool and didn't have a chance to shine, . Can there be any other reason?
Old 11 August 2015, 08:32   #614
earok

Quote:

Agreed with FOL above, but in addition there's something.. neat about playing games on Retro hardware with retro controllers.
Old 11 August 2015, 15:05   #615
Amiga1992

These "conversions" are fine and all, but WHDLoad on a plain CD32 is a downright pain with OS flashes and whatnot for a huge quantity of titles.

Can't the floppy games be made to run from a CD filesystem natively? I mean, people who patch these games many times just replace the trackloader for something more system friendly, right? Because unfortunately as it is, most of these "conversions" ruin the gaming experience for me

I was playing the Uridium 2 CD32 conversion last night and thought "this is how things should be played!" and wondered why not all games are done the same way. Here in this thread I see volume of titles, but I Rather have less done right.
Old 11 August 2015, 21:53   #616
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I was playing the Uridium 2 CD32 conversion last night and thought "this is how things should be played!" and wondered why not all games are done the same way. Here in this thread I see volume of titles, but I Rather have less done right.
In our defence:

- We approach it from a "better than nothing" point of view, especially as some of the games are so great (as well as the WHDLoad slave additions) that IMO they well outweigh their OS flashing issues. We have cancelled releases if the OS flashes make the loading times unbearable.
- If a game will run without WHDLoad, we'll normally do it. Sometimes we'll even use obsolete WHDLoad slaves or JST loaders if it has less OS flashes.
- RGCD's Uridium 2 was a special case, as I understand it Musashi put a huge amount of effort into reverse engineering RNC's CD32 loader for the project,and this was done so that the game would work on the console at all. IMO It'd be a huge ask for skilled ASM devs to put a substantial amount of time into doing the same for other games.
- We do take feedback seriously, if there's specific releases you'd like us to try and fix we'll at least take a look at it.
Old 11 August 2015, 22:13   #617
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
In our defence:
I wasn't attacking anyone's work so no need to defend yourself, I was just wondering if this could be done, as you see, my posts' main topic is the question of possibility of going on a harder but proper route.

Plenty of people are happy to patch games for WHDLoad and I am pretty sure those same people, if they had any motivation, would also be able to do proper conversions of games to CD32 native format for them to be played as they are meant to be played.

I'm really not into the "better than nothing" approach, I don't have an Amiga hobby to just do what's easiest and fastest and get more of whatever "just because it's better than nothing".
It's not only about OS flashes making loading unbearable, it's also that they're popping up mid-game many times and ruining everything.

Quote:
RGCD's Uridium 2 was a special case, as I understand it Musashi put a huge amount of effort into reverse engineering RNC's CD32 loader for the project,and this was done so that the game would work on the console at all.
And this is exactly what I am saying, I would like to see more effort being put into making games properly ported, instead of increasing the numbers. I have "200 games" copilations and stuff l;ike that with WHDLoad installs already. As it is, I don't really see much point in getting the ones being put out here that rely on WHDLoad installs as I already have them or I can make my own compilation CD with them in them. Also makes a "one/few games per disc" approach rather weird, I rather have a disc filled with games than one with just a few which are all WHDLoad installs anyway.

I love my CD32 and it's my main Amiga gaming platform, I don't use the computers for games anymore. So I would love to see games running on it as they are meant to be. It's a real shame it's such an underappreciated system
Old 12 August 2015, 00:23   #618
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
I love my CD32 and it's my main Amiga gaming platform, I don't use the computers for games anymore. So I would love to see games running on it as they are meant to be. It's a real shame it's such an underappreciated system
Couldn't agree more.
Old 12 August 2015, 01:22   #619
earok

Quote:
I wasn't attacking anyone's work so no need to defend yourself
Sorry, poor choice of words! I was really just trying to justify what we do and express that we do take flashing issues seriously.

Quote:
Plenty of people are happy to patch games for WHDLoad and I am pretty sure those same people, if they had any motivation, would also be able to do proper conversions of games to CD32 native format for them to be played as they are meant to be played.
Sometimes they are happy to and sometimes they aren't. After I asked him, Galahad did a great job converting his own Where Time Stood Still port to have a CD Loader and gamepad support, but the majority of developers I've contacted regarding a slave or a game (regarding OS flashing or gamepad support) usually put my request in the "maybe/someday" bin. And I can understand why, most of them have other major projects on which'll ultimately be of a bigger benefit to the Amiga community at large.

Quote:
I'm really not into the "better than nothing" approach, I don't have an Amiga hobby to just do what's easiest and fastest and get more of whatever "just because it's better than nothing".
That's fine, but personally I am OK with that - there are some fantastic slaves for great games out there that have flashing issues, but for me I'd rather they be out there now rather than wait for a 100% flawless release (Flashback springs to mind). In any case, having less than perfect releases out there may encourage some effort to get them fixed.

Quote:
It's not only about OS flashes making loading unbearable, it's also that they're popping up mid-game many times and ruining everything.
Again, what games in particular are ruined by OS flashes? I can't guarantee I can make them better, but I will guarantee I'll at least look at the issue, and if I can't resolve it I'll submit a mantis bug report.

Quote:
I already have them or I can make my own compilation CD with them in them. Also makes a "one/few games per disc" approach rather weird, I rather have a disc filled with games than one with just a few which are all WHDLoad installs anyway.
Some people do prefer having one game per disc, so they can put their game in and have it boot right away. The small collections are capped at eleven games so they can be loaded from a single button press rather than scrolling through a menu. Having smaller releases allows for bonuses too, some people like the CDXL videos and I can't stuff a compilation disc full of them. And for some people the game themselves is less important than the cover artwork, they like to be able to print it out and physically have the game on their shelves more than actually playing it. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
Now that we can agree on 100%
Old 15 August 2015, 02:40   #620
earok

Mutant League Hockey

If you haven't seen it already, definitely check Galahad's news post about his latest triumph

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79404