English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 22 May 2015, 12:17   #21
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygore View Post
Volume ID must be completed with maximum space after LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE name.
Holy hell, I didn't realise this trick would work with more than just Lemmings 1. While unsurprisingly it doesn't work with WHDLoad, it does work with Lemmings 2 AND Lemmings 3 AGA. Presumably anything that doesn't bang the hardware directly should work with this I guess?

EDIT: Confirmed to work with
- All New World of Lemmings AGA
- Amy's Fun-2-3
- Blobz AGA
- Dreamweb AGA (Practically useless since you need pixel perfect precision!)
- Dune I
- Lemmings 2: The Tribes
- Tiny Troops
- Willy Beamish
- Probably anything that'd work with fake mouse (eg Dune II, Most adventure games - the games listed above are all confirmed to not work with fake mouse)

Does not work with:
- Whdload or JST Games
- No Second Prize (Galahad's HD version)

Other volume names that enable a fake mouse mode (unknown if they do anything else of note)
- ATTICA_03

Last edited by earok; 15 June 2015 at 14:34.
Old 23 May 2015, 23:01   #22
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Holy hell, I didn't realise this trick would work with more than just Lemmings 1. While unsurprisingly it doesn't work with WHDLoad, it does work with Lemmings 2 AND Lemmings 3 AGA. Presumably anything that doesn't bang the hardware directly should work with this I guess?

EDIT: Confirmed to work with
- Lemmings 2: The Tribes
- All New World of Lemmings AGA
- Willy Beamish
- Blobz AGA
- Probably anything completely system friendly (eg Dune II, Most adventure games)

Does not work with:
- Whdload or JST Games
- No Second Prize (Galahad's HD version)
Interesting how does this work? its more powerful than Joymouse?
Old 24 May 2015, 00:21   #23
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Interesting how does this work? its more powerful than Joymouse?
I believe joymouse (I use a utility called fakemouse which I presume is very similar) only works with multitasking games, eg Dune II.

As I understand it from psygore's description, the name "Lemmings_Planetside" is embedded into the CD32's Rom so when it recognises the volume name, it essentially patches the OS to handle it.

Edit: Cobe's pointed out to me that the Lemmings_Planetside hack uses less RAM than using Fakemouse or Joymouse, so there's that too!

Last edited by earok; 24 May 2015 at 02:38.
Old 24 May 2015, 12:22   #24
Cobe

Here are the titles emmbeded in cd32 extended rom:

WorldVistaAtlas ClassicBoardGames Context TEAM_YANKEE WORLD_VISTA MM1F Independent_Soccer BAT SCARY_POEMS SIM_CITY PETER_RABBIT PAPER_BAG_PRINCESS BENJAMIN_BUNNY CINDERELLA MOVING MUD_PUDDLE RANCH THOMAS_SNOWSUIT LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE HEATHER ATTICA_03 Chrono

It'll be worth a try to check if some titles patch something more than mouse, as earok already wrote to me, maybe some of this titles have some joy 2 keyboard support.
Old 24 May 2015, 12:40   #25
Cobe

Ha! just found text in cd32 extended rom coded with ROT13

Original:

OENVA: Wrss Cbegre Fbsgjner Uneqjner Wnzrf Onexyrl We Puevf Pbyrl Qnir Oehzonhtu Urqyrl Qnivf Crgre Purean Qnagr Snoevmvb Puevf Terra Rq Thagure Qneera Terrajnyq Ovyy Evpuneq Nyyna Unirzbfr Trbetr Eboovaf Wreel Ubenabss Enaqryy Wrfhc Puvcf Qnivq A. Whabq Obo Envoyr Fcrapre Funafba Ovyy Gubznf Zvpunry Fvam Znegva Gnvyyrsre Zrpunavpny Qrfvta Wvz Ubbcre Negjbex: Ureo Zbfgryyre Wreel Unegmyre Puhpx Jbbgref Wvz Fnpuf ... Naq Znal Zber ... !... Uv Ybev ...! !... Uv Whfgva ...! Uv Zhz. Qvq gur oryyf snyy bss? Gurerfn, erzrzore Znepu 5gu, 1993, gur qnl jr tbg Ratntrq? V cebzvfr gb ybir lbh sberire! - Lbhe Zvpunry (Zvpuv) Qrnerfg Pngul, Gur qnl jr zrg jnf gur ortvavat bs gur unccvrfg gvzr bs zl yvsr. Vg vf jvgu ybir naq uhzvyvgl gung V gunax lbh sbe orvat lbh. Tbbq Yhpx, Qnir naq Xngul 05/08/93 Nqnz, Nqnz, Nqnz... Lbh'er gur Orfg!!! Lbh pnyy lbhefrys n XVAT ??? Gb Yvfr: Nyjnlf erzrzore bhe yhpxl 13gu! Ybir, Crgre Plaguvn Xvzoreyl Zvpunry Uhtf & Xvffrf sebz lbhe Qnq! Guhf fcbxr gur Znfgre Avawrv: "Vs lbhe nccyvpngvba qbrf abg eha pbeerpgyl, qb abg oynzr gur bcrengvat flfgrz!" Guvf fcnpr sbe fnyr

Decrypted:

BRAIN: Jeff Porter Software Hardware James Barkley Jr Chris Coley Dave Brumbaugh Hedley Davis Peter Cherna Dante Fabrizio Chris Green Ed Gunther Darren Greenwald Bill Richard Allan Havemose George Robbins Jerry Horanoff Randell Jesup Chips David N. Junod Bob Raible Spencer Shanson Bill Thomas Michael Sinz Martin Taillefer Mechanical Design Jim Hooper Artwork: Herb Mosteller Jerry Hartzler Chuck Wooters Jim Sachs ... And Many More ... !... Hi Lori ...! !... Hi Justin ...! Hi Mum. Did the bells fall off? Theresa, remember March 5th, 1993, the day we got Engaged? I promise to love you forever! - Your Michael (Michi) Dearest Cathy, The day we met was the begining of the happiest time of my life. It is with love and humility that I thank you for being you. Good Luck, Dave and Kathy 05/08/93 Adam, Adam, Adam... You're the Best!!! You call yourself a KING ??? To Lise: Always remember our lucky 13th! Love, Peter Cynthia Kimberly Michael Hugs & Kisses from your Dad! Thus spoke the Master Ninjei: "If your application does not run correctly, do not blame the operating system!" This space for sale
Old 24 May 2015, 13:14   #26
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Here are the titles emmbeded in cd32 extended rom:

WorldVistaAtlas ClassicBoardGames Context TEAM_YANKEE WORLD_VISTA MM1F Independent_Soccer BAT SCARY_POEMS SIM_CITY PETER_RABBIT PAPER_BAG_PRINCESS BENJAMIN_BUNNY CINDERELLA MOVING MUD_PUDDLE RANCH THOMAS_SNOWSUIT LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE HEATHER ATTICA_03 Chrono

It'll be worth a try to check if some titles patch something more than mouse, as earok already wrote to me, maybe some of this titles have some joy 2 keyboard support.
Would need to find a game that normally uses keyboard for basic stuff.
Dune works with this method but needs you to press esc and then enter to get passed protection screen. So if it does have joy to key function, that would be very cool.

So from the list above you could name the disc any of those and it should work the same as LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE.
Old 26 May 2015, 15:31   #27
earok

Just tried the SIM_CITY ISO, at a glance it DOES seem to do a keyboard mapping -> "Blue" button looks like it's mapped to "Right Amiga" (or at least they do the same thing). Off the top of my head I can't think of a single instance where this would be useful though.

Edit: Volume name needs to be padded with spaces, it does NOT do a fake joypad mode (the game is still playable with a joypad even without the SIM_CITY volume name, you just can't press B to cycle through menus)
Old 26 May 2015, 15:52   #28
earok

"BAT" is for the game "Battlestorm", again the volume name needs to be padded with spaces. If the volume name isn't set to that, the game will outright crash. I can't say for sure what other effect it has, at a glance it look it certainly doesn't seem to set the pad to emulate a mouse for instance. The game itself looks perfectly playable on just a one button joystick anyway.

I wonder if there are any games that simply don't work on the CD32 that could be forced to work just by using that volume name.
Old 26 May 2015, 16:13   #29
earok

Tried "TEAM_YANKEE" too - honestly I can't say what turning it on actually does. At least in WinUAE I can't see any difference between the original ISO and making a new ISO with a different volume label - both the original CDTV version running on a CD32 and a new ISO with a different volume label are mouse-required.

Having that as the label does seem to burn a fair bit of RAM though (burns up about 36K more than a disc with a generic volume label)

Last edited by earok; 26 May 2015 at 16:19.
Old 26 May 2015, 19:40   #30
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Tried "TEAM_YANKEE" too - honestly I can't say what turning it on actually does. At least in WinUAE I can't see any difference between the original ISO and making a new ISO with a different volume label - both the original CDTV version running on a CD32 and a new ISO with a different volume label are mouse-required.

Having that as the label does seem to burn a fair bit of RAM though (burns up about 36K more than a disc with a generic volume label)
Tried Chrono, which seems to work the same as LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE.
I did notice that using this method breaks joywait. As it gives the effect of left mouse button pressed.
Old 27 May 2015, 01:34   #31
Cobe

OK, I tried the first half of the titles. Volume name padded of course. Ran Avail and KME. And as I found nothing new(no keyboard support) I gave up on second half. I tried both port 1 and 2. I don't know if KME was right choice to test joypad 2 keyboard support though it works with joy2key2.
Here's what I found:

Title Avail

WorldVistaAtlas 1849304
ClassicBoardGames 1899384 mouse
Context 1900880
TEAM_YANKEE 1849304
WORLD_VISTA 1849304
MM1F 1849272
Independent_Soccer 1900920
BAT 1900904
SCARY_POEMS 1899496 mouse
SIM_CITY 1900816
PETER_RABBIT 1899496
PAPER_BAG_PRINCESS 1899496 mouse
LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE1899456 mouse

just in comparation I'd add how much available ram leaves
fakemouse 1840760
joymouse 1827776

and free ram depending on building iso with
cdtv.tm 1900656
cd32.tm 1901448

fake and joy mouse values registered with cd32.tm

Last edited by Cobe; 27 May 2015 at 01:43.
Old 27 May 2015, 02:03   #32
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Tried Chrono, which seems to work the same as LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE.
I did notice that using this method breaks joywait. As it gives the effect of left mouse button pressed.
Actually I'm using WaitJoy with the Lemmings Collection without any issue, there was a weird problem where it didn't seem to like PicBoot displaying an AGA image though. Downgrading the quality of my menu image from HAM8 to HAM6 worked just fine.
Old 27 May 2015, 02:06   #33
Cobe

Quote:
Actually I'm using WaitJoy with the Lemmings Collection without any issue, there was a weird problem where it didn't seem to like PicBoot displaying an AGA image though. Downgrading the quality of my menu image from HAM8 to HAM6 worked just fine.
You ran setpach at start?
Old 27 May 2015, 02:46   #34
earok

Quote:
You ran setpach at start?
Yep. And it still works for an AGA game (Lem 3).

It looked like it rendered the image for a split second before pushing the window to the background. I tried a bunch of different image viewers (Nostra etc) and they all seemed to do the same thing.
Old 27 May 2015, 12:20   #35
earok

A CDTV game that appears to be essentially unplayable on CD32 is "Wraith of the Demon", it sounds like it basically assumes the control is in "mouse mode" so everything is messed up when you try to use a joypad. I've tried using a couple of those volume labels to see if it fixes it but with no success.
Old 27 May 2015, 13:05   #36
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
A CDTV game that appears to be essentially unplayable on CD32 is "Wraith of the Demon", it sounds like it basically assumes the control is in "mouse mode" so everything is messed up when you try to use a joypad. I've tried using a couple of those volume labels to see if it fixes it but with no success.
Wasn't if the same as the Floppy version, with just added CDDA audio?

Dont think I ever got off the first level, . Liked listening to the music.
Old 28 May 2015, 00:08   #37
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Wasn't if the same as the Floppy version, with just added CDDA audio?

Dont think I ever got off the first level, . Liked listening to the music.
Not even CDDA audio! Not a bad thing though as it's David Whittaker's music. You can really tell they were going for a Shadow of the Beast vibe.

I think it was really just updated around loading from CD and using the CDTV pad. There's certain functions alluded to in the cdtv manual (eg press numbers for potions and load/save) that don't seem to be triggerable with the keyboard either.
Old 28 May 2015, 20:52   #38
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Not even CDDA audio! Not a bad thing though as it's David Whittaker's music. You can really tell they were going for a Shadow of the Beast vibe.

I think it was really just updated around loading from CD and using the CDTV pad. There's certain functions alluded to in the cdtv manual (eg press numbers for potions and load/save) that don't seem to be triggerable with the keyboard either.
If your using WinUAE, then setting CDTV Mouse pad, makes Joypad work.
Old 31 May 2015, 20:50   #39
Cobe

Quote:
I'm getting the same effect as FOL with waitjoy using "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE". Waitjoy outputs presses correctly but at the same time gives the effect of pressed left mouse button so for instance it immediately closes picboot picture.

With "SCARY_POEMS", "PAPER_BAG_PRINCESS" and "ClassicBoardGames" where mouse/joypad also works, there is no lmb pressed effect but also no output from waitjoy. And with these titles WarnIfPressed doesn't work either.

OK, now when I read what I wrote, one of the solutions would be not to detach picboot...
Old 01 June 2015, 00:55   #40
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I'm getting the same effect as FOL with waitjoy using "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE". Waitjoy outputs presses correctly but at the same time gives the effect of pressed left mouse button so for instance it immediately closes picboot picture.

With "SCARY_POEMS", "PAPER_BAG_PRINCESS" and "ClassicBoardGames" where mouse/joypad also works, there is no lmb pressed effect but also no output from waitjoy. And with these titles WarnIfPressed doesn't work either.

OK, now when I read what I wrote, one of the solutions would be not to detach picboot...
I tried removing detach, still didnt help.