Old 08 August 2015, 06:50   #41
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

I'll make a test then, thank you toni.
Old 08 August 2015, 22:10   #42
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Another crazy idea - winuae expansion!
Virtual com port link via tcpip so that it makes it possible to play some 2 player games over the network with a friend.
Networks are fairly quick now.

It might also be possible to encapsulate serial port output with time tags
so that winuae delays emulation if the other side has lagged for some reason. Not ideal for fast passed games on slow networks, but ok for slower games. (Napalm)

This can also be expanded to modem linked games (eg. Gloom)
but again routing the modem connection to tcpip via emulating the modem dialup. This has an advantage since those games already know how to deal with delays on the line.
Old 09 August 2015, 12:48   #43
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Yes but game has very low latency requirements (any serial link action game has same problem)...
I like the idea but I guess it will not work very well.
Old 09 August 2015, 15:13   #44
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It does not work and it is not new idea. Practically all serial link (action) games assume near-real time communication (direct hardware access serial latency can be less than 1ms!)
Old 11 October 2015, 03:18   #45
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It does not work and it is not new idea. Practically all serial link (action) games assume near-real time communication (direct hardware access serial latency can be less than 1ms!)
but a 2 players game on the same amiga could be played through the network...
Some source which could interest you Toni ???? https://github.com/MisterTea/MAMEHub
Old 16 April 2018, 13:28   #46
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Hi guys, to set up emulated serial link, should the boxes 'shared', 'RTS/CTS', 'Direct' and 'UAEserial.device' all remain unchecked? That's what I have been doing, and although my games link to start off with, I lose connection between the games (Gravity Power) or the game pauses/freezes (Stunt Car Racer). Any tips on getting this to work? Edit: Stunt Car Racer and Lotus 2 works, Gravity Power establishes a link, and the linked game starts for one second before a message states that the serial link lost connection.

Last edited by twenty90seven; 16 April 2018 at 14:25.
Old 16 April 2018, 15:30   #47
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Basic A500 config? (if not, confirm same happens when using it). All checkboxes you mentioned checkboxes should be unticked.

(I guess I forgot to reply your original post..)
Old 17 April 2018, 15:00   #48
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Thanks Toni, yes I used basic A500 config, and although Gravity Power establishes the link in the game menus, it then loses the link while trying to load the game and it displays 'serial transmission error'. Although this interview with Jen and Jans the programmers on the AmigaPD website might explain it:

Were there any problems or interesting stories during development?
Jens: The null modem linkup option was a nightmare. The game engine transfers only the user input (joystick/keyboard) and depends on both sides being completely deterministic in other regards. We spent many hours debugging sessions where the game play suddenly drifted apart on timing issues or unexpected dependencies. We actually never figured out what made the guided shots different, which is why they are
disabled in the linkup mode. The two computers also need to remain synchronized to within 1/50th second -- one frame -- for this to work at all.
Old 17 April 2018, 21:30   #49
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Just discovered this thread. Thanks 'twenty90seven' for digging it.
Even if my computer is not a "running beast", it's really COOOOOL as it's working !
Thanks Toni

Will have to test with 2 computers in a near future
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lotus2-linked.png
Views:	434
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	57899  
Old 02 July 2018, 16:44   #50
Valken

Relatives over, 4 USB controllers, 4 player Lotus Turbo Espirit 2 - you cannot imagine how much fun this was.... Still cannot find any games like this on a PC/Mac/ or console!!!

The only issue is that cannot do on the same pc due to lack of focus on Windows 7? The "active" window accepts USB controller input while the other "inactive" one does not?

Edit - solved... untick disable game controllers when inactive in the PRI & EXTENTIONS settings, not MISCELLANEOUS!

Thank you Tony and DamienD!

Last edited by Valken; 02 July 2018 at 19:03.
Old 02 July 2018, 17:37   #51
hexaae
Bug hunter

WOW! That's crazy… but works!
Old 10 August 2018, 04:08   #52
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Hi Toni,
perhaps i'm asking too much but i take my chance !!!
could it be possible to make a way to launch the 2 winuae process exactly in the same timing (synchronised) ???
Like the music and the sfx can be kept and the music isn't doubled ...
Perhaps a switch to launch 2 instances of the same config synchronised ??
Perhaps in the serial port settings ? : amiga synched.
Or something like that or perhaps there is an other way to sync 2 winuae ?
Perhaps a command line ?? Wait 3 sec to see if a 2nd winuae process is launched if yes wait and sync them ???
I don't if it's easy ??? it's not a priority for sure but it could be cool !
offcourse if the 1st launched is the master, the second must be launched slave.
Or perhaps a way to select a winuae configuration to sync, a way to sync 2 config. Something like : I set sync and it opens a menu to select the config i want to sync with the 1st one.
Sorry to be so long but like english isn't my 1s language, my explanations often look like a mess !!!
ps: if you took the time to read it, you made the harder, i think.have a nice day toni.
edited: it could be cool too if the 1st winuae process synched could be diplayed in the 1st half of the screen and 2 nd in the 2nd half. All of this to make it more user-friendly.