English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.GameBase Amiga

Old 15 February 2018, 10:46   #381
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Funny though; I'll share one story with you guys that I received via PM; no names disclosed:
Quote:
You are asking for £20 in order to have a copy? No thank you, I don't pay that much for any recent AAA titles.
Pffft, if only this person actually tried to do all this himself... he'd probably give up after a month, let alone over a decade of constant work
FFS, some people. First thing I did was donate the necessary. The way I see it, this needs to be encouraged - not just adding new games, but also maintaining the collection with fixes like the Ghouls entry above.

Btw, I need to send you a PM; the links you sent have expired and I've just upgraded to a new laptop as the old one's HDD died....
Old 15 February 2018, 12:11   #382
DamienD
Banned

PM sent my friend
Old 15 February 2018, 12:29   #383
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
FFS, some people. First thing I did was donate the necessary. The way I see it, this needs to be encouraged - not just adding new games, but also maintaining the collection with fixes like the Ghouls entry above.
An update regarding this...

So far about 20 people have donated totalling around £280; thank you kindly for this

I estimate that over 650 people now have my collection; well, people who I've shared the URLs with anyway...

<tough crowd>

So, as mentioned here, I've now donated €300 to RCK

...I think at the moment RCK needs this the most for investment in "abime.net" hosting infrastructure / running costs and hopefully this will assist with reducing:

a) Database errors.
b) Server too busy messages.

Last edited by DamienD; 15 February 2018 at 21:50.
Old 15 February 2018, 14:19   #384
EzdineG

Quote:
An update regarding this...

So far about 20 people have donated totally around £280; thank you kindly for this

I estimate that over 650 people now my collection; well, people who I've shared the URLs with anyway...

<tough crowd>

Anyway, as mentioned here, I've now donated €300 to RCK

...I think at the moment he needs this the most for investment into hosting infrastructure / costs that will hopefully assist with reducing:

a) Database errors.

b) Server too busy messages.

Thanks for doin what you do.
Old 16 February 2018, 20:54   #385
DamienD
Banned

Following on from this thread: Alien Breed 3D2 - Xenium Core: level 12

...I've now created a .HDF for this game

Running out of space in my allowed quota, so grab the file from the EAB File Server under /~Uploads/DamienD/Collection.

Just extract into "C:\WinUAE".

Last edited by DamienD; 17 February 2018 at 11:35.
Old 17 February 2018, 00:26   #386
DamienD
Banned

Time for another update / fix...

For years I've been using the "Sword of Sodan (1988)(Discovery)[cr QTX][t +2 MFC]" set.

I gave a friend at work my collection as he also loves / remembers the Amiga

Yesterday he mentioned that he finished "Sword of Sodan" but noticed the final screens are missing

...just like demoniac mentioned here back in 2006: Sword of Sodan (working 4 disks version)

Anyway, tonight we tested all remaining sets and had a "play off" i.e. he tested one set and I tested the other until completion:

a) Sword of Sodan (1988)(Discovery)[cr Ackerlight][t +2 Ackerlight]
b) Sword of Sodan (1988)(Discovery)[cr CBC][t +1 CBC]

Done, so in conclusion, the only fully working set is b)

So, do the following:
  • Delete the directory "C:\WinUAE\Games\Sword of Sodan".
  • Download the attached file.
  • Extract into "C:\WinUAE".
Thanks Dwayne; really appreciate you bringing this to my attention and helping me find a solution

...you need to join the best Amiga forum in the universe

Last edited by DamienD; 26 February 2018 at 23:06.
Old 17 February 2018, 10:42   #387
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Following on from this thread: Alien Breed 3D2 - Xenium Core: level 12

...I've now created a .HDF for this game

Running out of space in my allowed quota, so grab the file from the EAB File Server under /~Uploads/DamienD/Collection.

Just extract into "C:\WinUAE".
Ooops, slight mistake with the naming of the configuration file and also the title / screenshot weren't properly centred

I've now fixed this but you will need to do the following:
  • Delete the directory "C:\WinUAE\Games\Alien Breed 3D II - Xenium Core AGA".
  • Delete the configuration file "Alien Breed 3D II - Xenium Core [modification].uae" from "C:\WinUAE\Configurations.
  • Download the new file from the EAB File Server.
  • Extract into "C:\WinUAE".

Last edited by DamienD; 17 February 2018 at 11:35.
Old 18 February 2018, 18:55   #388
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Very good, I'm happy

Maybe you should write the detailed steps you undertook to rectify this as I'm sure this will help others out
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 February 2018, 20:21   #389
DamienD
Banned

Received a PM from Magic today, not sure why he didn't just post in the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic
Hello,

So far all I can say is "Amazing!" I can't imagine how much work went in to configuring all of this. I really like the 'boxart' option too. I have spent hours so far just looking through the config list and checking out all of the artwork. I have a couple of questions.

Does there exist something like this for a real Amiga? Something like your config list with boxart and WHDLoad to make it all work on say, a beefed up A4000?

Also, what type of controller or joystick are people using? Obviously an Amiga controller can't be used with a PC.

Lastly I had to uninstall Amiga Forever by Cloanto as it was causing problems with this version of WinUAE. My registry is still full of Cloanto entries even after uninstalling it. I wish I had never tried it as it seems like there isn't any clean way to get rid of it all.

Thanks again,
Magic
Cheers Magic

Something like this on a real Amiga; yeah, probably a few different things in varying states.

Controllers; personally I use my wireless Xbox 360 ones but also have wired Xbox (better response). You can use whatever joystick /s Windows recognises.

Amiga Forever; good riddance.

Last edited by DamienD; 18 February 2018 at 22:03.
Old 19 February 2018, 17:36   #390
jabybau

Ehy Damien you have been doing an awesome work!!!
great man!!!
Old 19 February 2018, 19:38   #391
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
Heya Sinphaltimus,

Thank you for putting up an additional video showing how my collection should look in regards to correct aspect ratio and also letting people know how to change scaling via your video card

Adding new games; at the moment I'm taking a bit of a rest until things calm down a bit... Usually I try to add 30 - 50 games a week; will get back to it soon
Old 19 February 2018, 19:42   #392
Sinphaltimus

Any time.

Of all the different configs I've tried over the years, (WHDLoad, straight up ADFs, etc..) your collection got me back into Amiga gaming. So much fun, Thank you for that. None of the other "collections" get me in and out of a game as fast as your collection. And none of the others seem to be filled with 100% working games. I have not had any issues with yours at all. Everything I want to play, just works.
Old 19 February 2018, 20:54   #393
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Any time.

Of all the different configs I've tried over the years, (WHDLoad, straight up ADFs, etc..) your collection got me back into Amiga gaming. So much fun, Thank you for that. None of the other "collections" get me in and out of a game as fast as your collection. And none of the others seem to be filled with 100% working games. I have not had any issues with yours at all. Everything I want to play, just works.
I agree totally and the hours that must have gone in to just testing alone Thank you!
Old 19 February 2018, 21:14   #394
liveevil
Custom User Title

I've had a good go through your collection now and there are some great custom games in there, thanks. One thing that puzzles me though with quite a few of the replies in this thread. Lot's of people saying things like 'they've never had a click and run game collection with screenshots until now', I take it nearly no-one in this thread has ever heard of Gamebase Amiga which has been available for years with multiple screenshots, boxart & game info ? Anyway, thanks again.
Old 19 February 2018, 21:20   #395
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
One thing that puzzles me though with quite a few of the replies in this thread. Lot's of people saying things like 'they've never had a click and run game collection with screenshots until now', I take it nearly no-one in this thread has ever heard of Gamebase Amiga which has been available for years with multiple screenshots, boxart & game info ?
Exactly, and I've said so in the thread numerous times

My friend Belgarath has put the same amount of time in as I have (if not more) and Gamebase Amiga has many more features, is way more complex / mature.

Also, don't forget that Belgarath and myself have been helping each other out for over a decade now in relation to the best / verified files to be used. That's why my name is listed here.

Anyway, a few advantages of my collection over Gamebase Amiga or FS-UAE Arcade, the big one in my opinion being b):

a) Works straight out of the box; no need to setup / configure, download / add different parts / add-ons etc.
b) Anyone can easily add in their own desired games that I've missed, take title / screenshots to make it their own; as it's a simple setup that all should be familiar with.
c) There are many files in my collection that you won't find elsewhere like [AmigaCD] --> .HDFs, custom .ADFs created by me etc.

Last edited by DamienD; 19 February 2018 at 22:40.
Old 19 February 2018, 21:49   #396
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
I've had a good go through your collection now and there are some great custom games in there, thanks. One thing that puzzles me though with quite a few of the replies in this thread. Lot's of people saying things like 'they've never had a click and run game collection with screenshots until now', I take it nearly no-one in this thread has ever heard of Gamebase Amiga which has been available for years with multiple screenshots, boxart & game info ? Anyway, thanks again.

Just for the record, to compare and contrast...

I have heard of it but never gave it a try - Here's why, right on the first page.

"This is the GameBase Amiga project. GameBase Amiga is a collection of data and scripts to be used with the GameBase emulator frontend."

My first thought was "Another emulator to install and configure? A Front-End? Scripts?" - It was and still is more effort than I'd like to put forth so I settled for preconfigured WHDLoad hdfs for winUAE. Those were easier to setup I thought and with little effort, they seemed to be. But they didn't always deliver when I went game exploring.

Nothing at all against all the other great projects or Gamebase Amiga, this particular issue with me alone was really about "How badly do I want to go through setting up Amiga Gaming to do it?" It was never "badly enough" to even try. Then this came around and took the effort away. I showed my appreciation, continue to enjoy it and am finally feeling like Amiga Gaming is definitely something I can get into again. Started with a few of my old favorites, now exploring never before played games.

Maybe Gamebase Amiga is the greatest collection setup with the greatest front end with everything in it anyone could ever need. I dunno. The setup and download part of it put me off from the get go. Maybe it's easier than I presumed, I don't know. When I read Front end, GameBase Emulator, etc... I didn't really want to try.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 19 February 2018 at 21:51. Reason: changed this "... definitely something I can get into." to this " definitely something I can get into again."
Old 20 February 2018, 23:33   #397
honx

before reading all 20 pages of this thread i rather ask directly before i download:
can i install this collection manually? don't want to mess with my installed winuae.
so no "foreign" registry setting or similar not matching my configuration of winuae.
can i somehow change all configurations from fullscreen to full-window at once?
due to multi monitor i can't use fullscreen in winuae, messing up icons and more.
Old 20 February 2018, 23:55   #398
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
before reading all 20 pages of this thread i rather ask directly before i download:
can i install this collection manually? don't want to mess with my installed winuae.
so no "foreign" registry setting or similar not matching my configuration of winuae.
can i somehow change all configurations from fullscreen to full-window at once?
due to multi monitor i can't use fullscreen in winuae, messing up icons and more.
Please at least read post #1 and post #2 in the thread

I feel that I've answered all FAQs, if not then feel free to get back to me...
Old 21 February 2018, 13:11   #399
honx

Quote:
Please at least read post #1 and post #2 in the thread

I feel that I've answered all FAQs, if not then feel free to get back to me...
so, if i read correctly regarding "relative paths" installation of your collection should not interfere with winuae installed on my system.
unfortunately havent' been able to find anything regarding full-window. (remove all fullscreen entries and replace it with full-window).
running anything in fullscreen other than 1080p resolution will mess up desktop. so no fullscreen. only full-window (borderless window).

Last edited by honx; 21 February 2018 at 13:16.
Old 21 February 2018, 13:57   #400
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
so, if i read correctly regarding "relative paths" installation of your collection should not interfere with winuae installed on my system.
unfortunately havent' been able to find anything regarding full-window. (remove all fullscreen entries and replace it with full-window).
running anything in fullscreen other than 1080p resolution will mess up desktop. so no fullscreen. only full-window (borderless window).
The info you seek is in Post #1 -
Quote:
Finally, if you don't like any the above settings it's very easy to change all configurations to suit your needs in a matter of seconds using Notepad++ and "Search" --> "Find in Files". For example:

Turn off "Scanlines":
Change "gfx_filter_scanlines=50" to "gfx_filter_scanlines=0".
Change "gfx_filter_scanlines=25" to "gfx_filter_scanlines=0".

Turn off "Onscreen LEDs":
Change "show_leds=true" to "show_leds=false".
All you have to do is open one of the config files and find where the full screen setting is so you know what to search for using notepad++ and then find in files and replace as described above.