English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 10 June 2012, 21:49   #21
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
i have a 10 gig setup in winuae(i dont use it much as i have real amigas)it uses sfs filesystem.

for the most part you wont need a drive bigger than 4gig for all the whdload games.

you setup a drive in winuae then partition it into segments,and have a 500mb partition for the boot and say a work partition then a games partition.(for the most part you would do it just like a real amiga)

have you ever had a real amiga before?,it helps.
Yes i had a real amiga i also had a GVP impact II hardrive at the time but i cant remember stuff as it was along time ago.

When running games from the workbench after using arc extrac to extrac the zipped games i find im running out of space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
You can't with dopus. First, if you are using a Pc you have to "make" a "hardrive" making it as larger as you want, and you don't wan't directorys, but partitions, and you can make it with the 3.1 Install hdf (floppy) using HDinstall.

Or what you can do is to install a Classic Workbench and later you can add any new directory (F12...Hardrives...Add directory or archive) you want. You can select any of your pc. Then press reset. Later if you like it you can press again F12, configurations and save it all. Next time you want to use it you load the configuration.
I want to make it so i have all games and demos installed without selecting other hdfs and resetting.

Is there anyway to make dh2 dh3 dh4 etc show up in dopus so i can add multiple folders from my hardrive too add games from them?
Old 10 June 2012, 21:56   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help View Post
Is there anyway to make dh2 dh3 dh4 etc show up in dopus so i can add multiple folders from my hardrive too add games from them?
You have to make the partitions from the beginning, http://www.lemonamiga.com/help/tutorial_1/1.php

But you only need to make them if you are planning to make a "hardrive" that you can use later in a real Amiga. Edit: Well, no, to make it for a real Amiga you have to make it from the beginning to make the partitions in your real Hd using an adapter to connect it to the PC (usually a Compact Flash). Later you can copy the ones you've got in WinUAE. IF you are only using a Pc, you don't need more partitions, you can add directorys from your PC that will be shown as "partitions" (in the WB screen). Just F12, hardrives, add directory or archive, Reset.

If you've made a hardrive in WinUAE large enough and you want to make partitions now, you'll lose all the info and you'll have to start from the beginning.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 June 2012 at 03:15.
Old 11 June 2012, 02:49   #23
Help

Ok thanks ive fixed it.
What are the correct names for the kick 34005 and rtb files.
I also have the cloanto roms if thats any use in my possession....

I keep getting this error

Last edited by Help; 11 June 2012 at 03:15.
Old 11 June 2012, 10:38   #24
roy bates

go on aminet and get,skick346.lha and put all those in your devs/kickstart folder

edit:i think thats the a500 1.3 kickstart file,we cant post links to kickstart files unfortunatly its against forum rules.

but, i'll say google is your friend.

Last edited by roy bates; 11 June 2012 at 10:51.
Old 11 June 2012, 12:12   #25
Help

Yeah i have the files,do i have to rename any of them?
Old 11 June 2012, 12:15   #26
roy bates

Quote:
Yeah i have the files,do i have to rename any of them?

the aminet ones?no

the kickstart files? yes to whatever it is looking for,say it says it kick1.3 then change it to kick34005.a500
Old 11 June 2012, 12:35   #27
Help

Look at this,i have placed all the aminet files in the devs/kickstart folder on workbench but im still getting this error.I have both 34005 A500.RTB and 34005 A500.PAT if i rename them to what you say then they will want to overwrite each other unless im not understanding you right?im confused as your saying change the kickstart files in the devs/kickstart folder,yet they are already spelt as what you say to change them too,check the screenshot.
Old 11 June 2012, 12:51   #28
roy bates

you dont actually have the kickstart file.but you still neeen the files that you have installed also i think

use google to "obtain" them,or use an a500 to rip the file from a real a500.(in your case the last one is not an option)

when you "obtain" them just rename the actual kick file to what is needed by whdload.

for the most part you will only need kick 1.3 for an a500 and 3.1 for a 1200
Old 11 June 2012, 13:04   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You also need the correct kickstart files renamed to 'kick34005.A500' (A500 KS 1.3) and 'kick40068.A1200' (A1200 KS 3.1) like roy said.
Old 11 June 2012, 13:06   #30
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You also need the correct kickstart files renamed to 'kick34005.A500' (A500 KS 1.3) and 'kick40068.A1200' (A1200 KS 3.1) like roy said.

cheers matesometimes i find it difficult to explain these things correctly.
Old 11 June 2012, 13:34   #31
Help

i have renamed the kick files i think,i found them on the web,and placed them in the devs/kickstarts but im now getting this error with every game
Old 11 June 2012, 13:41   #32
Help

Its ok i fixed it i rebooted my machine and all is good!
Old 12 June 2012, 00:08   #33
Help

Ok guys i have a few important questions.
Im running p96 WB pack.

Whenever i want to play old games like populous that use the 1.3 kickstart rom do i just change the rom and restart Winuae?I noticed if i do this the Amiga(winuae) fails to boot as its designed to use kick 3.0 or 3.1 so i understand.Is this correct?

Why is there not a WB pack for the 1.3Kickstart Amiga as i find alot of the older games dont work at all or work better with the 1.3 kickstart.

The nearest WB pack i can find is Green alien pack which use rom 2.04(not 2.0 as stated in install instructions),the problem with 2.04 is that some of the older games again do not like the Amiga 500+ which is what the 2.04 is.

Is there anyway of using a 1.3 kick at all as im having difficulty playing many games,or is there another way of doing things?
I think a WBpack 1.3 would be great as its not available unless im doing it wrong......

How do you guys do it when you use winuae?What WB pack do you use and why?

Just for the record i actually owned 4 Amigas back in the late 80s to early 90s and i can tell you that Apart from the miga 1200 that i owned the other 3 Amiga 500's all worked differently.

1.Amiga 500 with red power light....this was the best amiga out of the 3 Amiga 500s as it had the best stability with A500 games.

2.Amiga 500 with green power light....this one wasnt to bad most games worked but some didnt most notably was Alien breed,i was gutted at the time.

3.Amiga 500+ I didnt like this machine at all although technically better again less older games worked for it and there was quite a big incompatibility list when it came out.

Conclusion...The best Amiga 500 was the first 1.3 kickstart one with the red powerlight,it worked the best and it still works the best now even when it comes to emulation,why there is not a 1.3 kickstart WB pack is beyond me,as id take this anyday of the others along with an Amiga 1200 pack.

Last edited by Help; 12 June 2012 at 01:45.
Old 12 June 2012, 00:51   #34
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
winUAE quickstart
chose machine
add an adf or dms to DF0
and away you go

wb 1.3 is only on 2 disks
so perhaps your next task can be to creat your own wb 1.3 config for winUAE
Old 12 June 2012, 01:44   #35
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
winUAE quickstart
chose machine
add an adf or dms to DF0
and away you go

wb 1.3 is only on 2 disks
so perhaps your next task can be to creat your own wb 1.3 config for winUAE
Yes i know how to do that but the whole point of these packs is to allow them to run off a hardrive ie:games loading fast,if i have to go and use adf's then the last 3 days of figuring this out has been a complete waste of time.

We need a 1.3 Classic WB pack that installs and uses 1.3 kickstart roms,this will be very handy for game compatibility and very fast loading.

The way things are atm i love the HD packs but im torn between using slow ADF's as there more reliable because you can use the 1.3 kickstart with ADF's which works with the most games apart from AGA and there arnt that many AGA games anyhow so 1.3 is king!
Shame there is no WB pack for it.

All you need is 1.3 and 3.1 kickstarts for gaming(Original A500 1.3 for older/majority of games and A1200 for AGA games)you dont need anything else as anything else does not work as well if it even works at all.

90% of Amiga games back in 1991 worked flawlessly on the 1.3 kick,not 2.0,2.04,2.05,3.0,3.1 or any other rom,apart for AGA based 3.0/3.1 all the other roms are useless for gaming and are hit and miss.

If i had to chose between 3.1(a1200) and Classic Amiga 1.3 i would take Classic Amiga all day long as alot more games worked with this than the AGA although it would be nice to have 2 of them working in a WB pack.

Last edited by Help; 12 June 2012 at 01:58.
Old 12 June 2012, 05:09   #36
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Its in the works http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53907

but if you can`t create a folder or HDF and copy 2 disks to it and make it bootable then ......

slow adfs hahahha, turn speed up to turbo or find out how use warp mode in WinUAE

me I`m a Ks3.1 WB3.9, whdload anything else can just be booted of floppy like it was intended

have you found Killergorillas WHDload games yet ?? well worth checking out

Last edited by cosmicfrog; 12 June 2012 at 05:14.
Old 12 June 2012, 06:48   #37
roy bates

what you have to do is setup a bootable hardrive partition just as you would on a real amiga.

i suggest trying to get hold of the 3.1 install disks in adf format or trying to get a pre setup hdf off of a torrent site.
then use the 1200 setup in winuae.(i'll probably get into trouble for saying this)

you dont need to setup a 1.3 2.0 or anything older than 3.1 trust me,you wont need to make an a500 hardrive setup for whdload honestly.thats the whole point of a whdload system with the rom packs you wont need it.
Old 12 June 2012, 07:40   #38
roy bates

Quote:
Ok guys i have a few important questions.
Im running p96 WB pack.

Whenever i want to play old games like populous that use the 1.3 kickstart rom do i just change the rom and restart Winuae?I noticed if i do this the Amiga(winuae) fails to boot as its designed to use kick 3.0 or 3.1 so i understand.Is this correct?

nope,you dont need to that at all.

Why is there not a WB pack for the 1.3Kickstart Amiga as i find alot of the older games dont work at all or work better with the 1.3 kickstart.

because you dont need it,thats what the old kickstart files are for in devs/kickstarts there for whdload.

The nearest WB pack i can find is Green alien pack which use rom 2.04(not 2.0 as stated in install instructions),the problem with 2.04 is that some of the older games again do not like the Amiga 500+ which is what the 2.04 is.

i dont know what this pack is,go for a workbench 3.1 instaed mate then put you whdload and kick files in devs/kickstart and your away.

Is there anyway of using a 1.3 kick at all as im having difficulty playing many games,or is there another way of doing things?
I think a WBpack 1.3 would be great as its not available unless im doing it wrong......

i dont want to confuse this anymore than it is but your using whdload.......you could setup a 1.3 harddrive but why would you want that?

How do you guys do it when you use winuae?What WB pack do you use and why?

im using a 3.1 workbench install on a 1200 config with whdload installed because in this config basicly all of the games will work.

Just for the record i actually owned 4 Amigas back in the late 80s to early 90s and i can tell you that Apart from the miga 1200 that i owned the other 3 Amiga 500's all worked differently.

alot of the peaple on here still use the real amigas mate in all sorts of configs i still have about 5, some of which are a work in progress even my wife has one.so your not alone

1.Amiga 500 with red power light....this was the best amiga out of the 3 Amiga 500s as it had the best stability with A500 games.

2.Amiga 500 with green power light....this one wasnt to bad most games worked but some didnt most notably was Alien breed,i was gutted at the time.

3.Amiga 500+ I didnt like this machine at all although technically better again less older games worked for it and there was quite a big incompatibility list when it came out.

Conclusion...The best Amiga 500 was the first 1.3 kickstart one with the red powerlight,it worked the best and it still works the best now even when it comes to emulation,why there is not a 1.3 kickstart WB pack is beyond me,as id take this anyday of the others along with an Amiga 1200 pack.

i couldent agree with you more there,but at the moment use a 1200 config with a 3.1 kick to boot it up then us whdload packs with the kicks for the older machines in the devs/kickstarts drawer they will all work trust me.
if your using whdload in winuae you wont need to setup different drives for different games in different configs.

you can setup a 500 1.3 machine in winuae,but at the moment get used to using a whdload on a 1200 in winuae,the games do work in this config.

ive got a feeling you have downloaded the whdload packs off there site and think the games are preinstalled am i right?
these are just the installs you would also need the actual game original floppys and on a pc this would be hard to do.

use google then type.
KGWHD-preinstalled whdload packs,then unpack all these into your games partition,setup a 1200 boot partition in winuae with your kicks and whdload installed on your boot partition and your set.

then you just run winuae in a 1200 config with a 1200 kickstart and workbench install with whdload with the required kicks in devs/kickstarts and thats it really

and after this if you still cant do it.............if you want to,you can send me a 16gig usb pen/flash drive and i will setup a amiga drive (hdf)full of games for you its not a big deal for me and wont take me long
this is a very real offer,and for the amount of time it will probably take you to download all the software it would probably take less time and be easer.

for the record the worst amiga was the a600 in my opinion but these days its more usable than a 500 for obvios reasons, my wife has one that i setup for her with a 4gig drive and its got 6mb and kick 3.1 and workbench 3.1 installed with whdload.

my amigas are well...........not very standard as are a few amiga owners on here but all amigas are nice to have if used properly.

the main problem for most new users of winuae is getting all the software together,i feel your frustration in my case it just wasent the same i had to get a real one for lots of reasons.but if you can get the software together its a nice solution without the real hardware to play with.even if i dident have any problem getting the software at all,i think it took me about a week of searching on the net.

also whdload needs a config thats 2mb of chipram and 4mbs of fastram to work properly for alot of the games because some/all of the games preload the whole game into memory and run them from there and it was designed to run on a real amiga for the most part.

Last edited by roy bates; 12 June 2012 at 10:25.
Old 12 June 2012, 10:50   #39
Help

I have installed everything correctly using p96 wb pack.
I also have killer gorillas game packs installed and some of them work,i did this by adding a real hardrive from my pc then adding a directory....however i cannot get populous to work or dragons lair singes castle,it says in the readme that they require kick 1.3 to run even when i disable JIT i cant get them to run,like i said earlier games work ut a 1.3 kick based pack would be better than an A1200 kick.

Can anybody advise me on some winuae settings while useing p96 please?

Thanks
Old 12 June 2012, 10:56   #40
roy bates

hang on your right it wont run here i'll have a go......................

in the meantime can you post what cpu settings oyuo have set in winuae how much ram etc?