English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 February 2009, 02:01   #21
MaximumRD

Pretty simple for me. I am not great with dates but this is how I remember it. I was always into tech, audi, video, gaming etc. I remember Commodore PET computers in school as well as a friends Ti99a etc. One day a freind to me to his friends house. He had a full A1000 setup, it was displying a game, I THINK it was the Running Man. Immediately I noticed the beautiful animation, stereo sound, I asked questions about it, he then flicked a switch on the monitor displaying images from his VCR tuner, to me that was INCREDIBLE! I asked more questions as he pulled out a huge box of floppy disks with hundreds of programs/games. I could not believe a machine like this existed let alone I had never heard of it. Bottom line, I researched, bought magazines, compared and saw NOTHING ot compare with it's features. I swear, even though we have far surpassed this today nothing amazes me or gives me such awe as the day I first laid eyes on that A1000 setup, I often wondered what would of happened if my friend never brought me over to this fellows place, I am thankful to this day!

Old 23 February 2009, 06:05   #22
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

This bloody forum, that's what got me hooked!

Seriously, less than 3 years ago I purchased my first ever Amiga & was having trouble transferring ADFs to floppies. That's about all I wanted to do, just play some games off disks.

Joined this forum & after reading in astounded wonder about all the wonderful things Amigas could do & have done to them (read: hackery)...I never looked back!

PZ.
Old 23 February 2009, 06:36   #23
ennio

I was a very satisfied C64 owner (the happy recipient of my parents' xmas gift). After about 3 years, my dad told me his friend at work (who used to get us games for the C64), switched to an Amiga. I was in a computer store and saw the amazing Amiga demos that were running and well, I just had to get it! The first demo I saw was Dungeon Master. My jaw fell on the floor.

I took the savings I made from my high school job, bought the 500, and was able to trade games again with my dad's work friend. The 500 took me all the way through college making me several friends in the process. No one I met had ever heard of an Amiga in college, but before I knew it, half my floor was in my dorm room playing Omni-Play Basketball and TV Sports Football.

I still can't believe that was half a lifetime ago!
Old 23 February 2009, 11:55   #24
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Had Test Drive II on C64 and saw a demo on Amiga in a computer store - I was all of 11 at the time and begged my parents to upgrade. Still have that A500 as well as a 600 and several non-working peripherals, and still play TDII!
Old 23 February 2009, 12:02   #25
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
Had Test Drive II on C64 and saw a demo on Amiga in a computer store - I was all of 11 at the time and begged my parents to upgrade. Still have that A500 as well as a 600 and several non-working peripherals, and still play TDII!
ONYA Mate !!
Now that's the spirit !!
Old 23 February 2009, 12:38   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I still play Chambers of Shaolin sometimes if that matters

@FB
Didn't know that you only got hooked up to the Miggy that much by this forum
Old 23 February 2009, 12:45   #27
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Disappointment!
I thought I could talk in this thread on how I got started with heroine.

I was thinking something almost identical!

Shame it's about bloody amigas again!
Old 23 February 2009, 16:53   #28
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Send a message via MSN to Chuck-Rock-Jnr
I have been requested to tell my story,

Im 16 born 1992, and around that year, my dad was given an amiga a500+ which we still own today in full working order! My dad needed a home computer to manage files, he worked for an english company called wessex dairies, in the offices, he also bought games, most of them pirate from carboot sales , I was very little at the time, and my dad got me into gaming, being little, my favourite game was chuck rock 2! then i grew to love games such as the amazing CHAOS ENGINE, ALIEN BREED, Magic pockets,cannon fodder, final fight and turrican 2. as most where pirates, they had cool cracktros and cheats, so i used them if games got tough

Many people are shocked that there is someone as young as 16 on here, well, the amiga was something I grew up with and will always be in my heart with many happy childhood memories, I can even remember liking the amiga more than pc...

Wessex Dairies, no longer exists as a company, so my dad had to move on, but we still have the humble amiga in our home!

I think i was born 20 years to late, I would hve loved to experience the 80s too, I love New wave/New romantic/Punk music

I <3 Commodore

Last edited by Chuck-Rock-Jnr; 24 February 2009 at 17:45.
Old 23 February 2009, 19:58   #29
Thorham
Computer Nerd

I got into Amigas when I saw one at a friends house. I wanted to get an Atari ST before that, and I'm really glad I didn't My mom bought me a brand spanking' new Amiga 500 later

After my dad died, I used some of the inheritance money to buy my friends A1200 (same friend, he later sold his A500 and bought an A1200) and a little later a Blizzard 1230 IV (best buy ever), which was my only computer until 2005, and I still have and use it today.

Hurray for the Amiga, and may it never die That said, I wish I was a billionaire, then I could just buy Amiga and start producing them again (seriously, if I had the money)
Old 23 February 2009, 20:03   #30
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Rock-Jnr View Post
I have been requested to tell my story,

Im 16 born 1992, and around that year, my dad was given an amiga a500+ which we still own today in full working order! My dad needed a home computer to manage files, he worked for an english company called wessex dairies, in the offices, he also bought games, most of them pirate from carboot sales , I was very little at the time, and my dad got me into gaming, being little, my favourite game was chuck rock 2! then i grew to love games such as the amazing CHAOS ENGINE, ALIEN BREED, Magic pockets,cannon fodder, final fight and turrican 2. as most where pirates, they had cool cracktros and cheats, so i used them if games got tough

Many people are shocked that there is someone as young as 16 on here, well, the amiga was something I grew up with and will always be in my heart with many happy childhood memories, I can even remember liking the amiga more than pc...

Wessex Dairies, no longer exists as a company, so my dad had to move on, but we still have the humble amiga in our home!

I think i was born 20 years to early, I would hve loved to experience the 80s too, I love New wave/New romantic/Punk music

I <3 Commodore
great story. Is the amiga a secret love or do your friends know?
Old 23 February 2009, 21:04   #31
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Send a message via MSN to Chuck-Rock-Jnr
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbennett View Post
great story. Is the amiga a secret love or do your friends know?
its a secret affair ! They would probably think i was a bit wierd(er) if they knew i still played on a 16 bit machine, but i dont care, i love our amiga 500 to bits, Amiga till I die
Old 23 February 2009, 22:45   #32
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
I think i was born 20 years to early
Or is that 20 years too late?

Seriously though...have you removed the battery from your A500+? If not, please do it right now

PZ.
Old 24 February 2009, 16:08   #33
wilshy

Commodore through and through me. I did used to have my older brothers Spectrum 48k for a while in the mid 80s but soon wanted a C64. Didn't really delve too deep into that, just gaming and a bit of basic programming. Amiga beckoned in 1991. The same bro had moved from Spectrum to ST back to Spectrum and then Amiga. I was obviously influenced by that but do think I'd have ended up on the Amiga. I've always been attracted to interests/music etc that has loyal following totally by coincidence/fate (not sure which one to believe!).

I got an A500 1991 Christmas, 3 days later I had an A500+ due to the A500 having a fault. A1200 in 1994 right up until 1999 when I got my first PC. Mainly through costs it took me ages to get a Mac. But that's where I shall be staying.

A1200 holds those special memories for me. Years of Octamed use, demoscene activity and gaming. It's now used just for old games and demos.
Old 25 February 2009, 02:22   #34
rattus

Quote:
Many people are shocked that there is someone as young as 16 on here
I was only a couple of years older than you (17/18?) when I first joined EAB. All of my peers were into the latest gaming hardware; the Playstation 2 and Xbox, but I wanted to return to simpler times when you could put 10-20 minutes into a game instead of investing 20-40 hours or more.

I grew up with an Amiga 500 during the Megadrive/SNES console war and it developed my computer skills. Games were provided as copied floppies by my older brothers (my favourite was the Lemmings/Skid Row cracktro, you know the one ). I remember being sad when we had to sell it in 1995 and move on to Apple Macs (an LC575 to be exact) but then I discovered Bungie's Marathon and forgot all about the Amiga.

Fast forward a few years and I discovered emulation (my first thought being: "wow, I can play Sonic on my computer!") but there were no good Amiga emulators for Mac computers (MacUAE was dreadfully inadequate). So I found an old A1200 and set it up with ClassicWB and WHDLoad with the help of this forum <3 and rediscovered all the games I had missed, plus a few new ones I had never played before.

Unfortunately I couldn't keep the A1200, but E-UAE became a worthy alternative for OS X Macs. Last year I bought my first Windows machine (an Eee PC 1000H netbook for Uni) so now I can finally use WinUAE (and DeliPlayer for music) and see what I was missing.

Nowadays if you want to keep up with the latest games, you have to be prepared to spend a premium, either on console or computer hardware. The great thing about retro gaming is that it is cheap, cheerful and nostalgic. Rock on.